GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI Headlight Upgrade

Adrenaline Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello, new here and have a quick question. For whatever reason this topic is confusing the heck out of me. Im not sure if its due to all of the conflicting information ive seen or the large amount of headlight options.

I want to upgrade my headlights to xenon/led and have literally no idea what i need. My car is a HID car with running lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For example, what would i need to use these on my car. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hella-p...UC6GVAfkY9jSa4Lh7n5ajyWMSljQvMIY_E-4l9i5TQSjI

Last edited:

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure you will need the highline central electronics control module (don't think they were in 2012 models), ballasts, adapters for the wiring, coding, and maybe headlight switch...someone else can chime in if that's all.

Upgrading the lighting is very confusing because going from halogen to xenon or even aftermarket brands are never really truly plug and play on our cars and usually need some type of wiring or coding adjustments to work properly.

Adrenaline Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
The problem im having is i cannot find consistant info anywhere. Youll get 20 different answers on the same post about it. I just need a solid answer of what i need to go from hid to xenon, thats it. Ive read its not as involved to go from hid to xenon as it is to go halogen to xenon.

Yai

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a guy do my install and learned a heck of a lot! But, I went from halogen to the LED xenons. I have the midline CECM(2012 TDI) that came with the car. And all my light functionality works, high beam, LEDs, and We didn’t have to run trigger wire, as most people with halogens do.

I purchased the lights and CECM from a guy with a wrecked 2012 GTI, thinking I Also needed the CECM. I found out it was the same midline CECM, and so I didn’t have to swap out. I checked the software revision# with OBDELEVEN, and my midline is 657. They said you need software revision of higher than 525(can’t remember the number...

Anyhow, just check if you have the 14pin(halogens were 10pin) plugs for the headlights, which I’m assuming you would? You’ll definitely need VCDS or OBDELEVEN to activate the correct parameters for the lights. The coding parameters that I had to enable the Oem bixenons w LED DRLs, are below, as an FYI. The only parameter you should be careful, is Byte 18. I didn’t have an issue changing mine, but I heard VW masked some CECM byte 18 parameters, and showed up as “00” So when they went to try different codes for the retrofit, other functionality of their lights didn’t work, and/or bulb out errors. You only change byte 18 if swapping to LED rear lights, or the front headlights to bi-xenons. I had to change, and I’m guessing you might have to as well, but just make a backup (obdeleven /VCDS functionality) as you can always revert back.

If you do a search for the xenon LED coding, you can find out what other GTI owners, as there’s a few common ones that work. I’ll send the list that I found, if I can dig it up.

Byte 9 - Manual activation/deactivation for DRL suppressed = Active-checked
Byte 11 - DRLs /Active-checked
-Permanent Running light via low beam = unchecked
Byte 14 - Bi-xenons with shutter installed =Active-checked

Byte 15 - DRLs with separate lights = Active-checked
-DRLs adaption MFA+ = Active-checked

Byte 17 - Bixenon additional high beam (installed) = checked

Byte 18 - hex=41
Byte 24 - Hex =E4
Byte 25 - DRL LED brightness =Full
-High beam via shutter Installed =checked/active

Byte 26 - DRL only with assistance driving light =unchecked

Byte 27- LED DRL module for parking light and DRL =Installed/checked

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited:

Yai

Passed Driver's Ed
At this point im thinking ill just find a shop that specializes in these cars and see what they have to say. lol

Lol I thought they too but you’re better off to go to someone who has done retrofits, as sometimes those shops just know how to do things by the book, and retrofitting might end up puzzling them.

If you can get your car scanned and see what version of BCM/CECM you’re running. We could likely tell if the swap is straight forward, as I think it’s even easier for GTIs to complete the swap vs a halogen golf 2.5 or TDI.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
This thread was helpful, as I want to upgrade my lights on my MK6, thanks

Yai

Passed Driver's Ed
Cool good luck with your lights and post them up when you’re done and/or if you need help. I learned quite a bit, as I didn’t have much knowledge, and understand a little better, now.

Cheers,

Ron

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
I had a guy do my install and learned a heck of a lot! But, I went from halogen to the LED xenons. I have the midline CECM(2012 TDI) that came with the car. And all my light functionality works, high beam, LEDs, and We didn’t have to run trigger wire, as most people with halogens do.

I purchased the lights and CECM from a guy with a wrecked 2012 GTI, thinking I Also needed the CECM. I found out it was the same midline CECM, and so I didn’t have to swap out. I checked the software revision# with OBDELEVEN, and my midline is 657. They said you need software revision of higher than 525(can’t remember the number...

Anyhow, just check if you have the 14pin(halogens were 10pin) plugs for the headlights, which I’m assuming you would? You’ll definitely need VCDS or OBDELEVEN to activate the correct parameters for the lights. The coding parameters that I had to enable the Oem bixenons w LED DRLs, are below, as an FYI. The only parameter you should be careful, is Byte 18. I didn’t have an issue changing mine, but I heard VW masked some CECM byte 18 parameters, and showed up as “00” So when they went to try different codes for the retrofit, other functionality of their lights didn’t work, and/or bulb out errors. You only change byte 18 if swapping to LED rear lights, or the front headlights to bi-xenons. I had to change, and I’m guessing you might have to as well, but just make a backup (obdeleven /VCDS functionality) as you can always revert back.

If you do a search for the xenon LED coding, you can find out what other GTI owners, as there’s a few common ones that work. I’ll send the list that I found, if I can dig it up.

Byte 9 - Manual activation/deactivation for DRL suppressed = Active-checked
Byte 11 - DRLs /Active-checked
-Permanent Running light via low beam = unchecked
Byte 14 - Bi-xenons with shutter installed =Active-checked

Byte 15 - DRLs with separate lights = Active-checked
-DRLs adaption MFA+ = Active-checked

Byte 17 - Bixenon additional high beam (installed) = checked

Byte 18 - hex=41
Byte 24 - Hex =E4
Byte 25 - DRL LED brightness =Full
-High beam via shutter Installed =checked/active

Byte 26 - DRL only with assistance driving light =unchecked

Byte 27- LED DRL module for parking light and DRL =Installed/checked

Cheers,

Ron
Bang on went this same route. Did all the reading like OP and found so many conflicting answers. Exact same scenario with a midline Control Module, thinking I needed to source a Highline. No trigger wire routing either.

Reactions: Yai

mk6wyatt

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello, new here and have a quick question. For whatever reason this topic is confusing the heck out of me. Im not sure if its due to all of the conflicting information ive seen or the large amount of headlight options.

I want to upgrade my headlights to xenon/led and have literally no idea what i need. My car is a HID car with running lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For example, what would i need to use these on my car. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hella-p...UC6GVAfkY9jSa4Lh7n5ajyWMSljQvMIY_E-4l9i5TQSjI
I’ll sell you these headlights for 750$ In great condition. I’m getting different ones. All bulbs and ballasts are included. No cracks or leaks. All rear covers are intact. No broken tabs.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
I pulled the trigger and finally got the Supernova headlights, plug and play for my halogens no coding necessary. Looks like they have proper resistors since they flicker on start up but they function perfect. Needed to adjust them since they were pointed at the ground out of the box but they are definitely bright and a major upgrade. ~$700 shipped from Australia and the RHD cutoff is minimal.

Attachments

• supernova.jpg
    supernova.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 234
  • supernova2.jpg
    supernova2.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 241

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Update - the Supernova headlight housings faded HORRIBLY right after a year, back to OEM and will never recommend them to anyone for the money

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
Too bad to hear about the quality.
my 10+ yr old oem housings had minor fading on the edges, the supernovas looked like I dragged them across gravel from sun damage. I have heard good things about Osrams but they are like 2k now lol. Ended up just buying some new oem ones on rockauto for about $300 instead.