GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 GTI rear ticking noise when full tank

milin

Hi. First I promise that I have searched everything related to all ticking, cracking, rattling noises in this and other forums already. I searched and did a lot of DIY until my wife calls me crazy.

I have been having this ticking noise coming from the back of the car. Happens over slightly rough road that makes the car vibrates. It's almost like a metal to metal and it's not very lough (yet enough to hear)....tick tick tick tick. Pattern of the sound is not of regular interval. So I guess perhaps may be it's not the fuel pump checking the pressure as a lot of us here are hearing.

Not sure if it's the seat or other parts though. So far, I have done the following in the attempt to silence it.

1. Door rattles: Installed anti-friction tape to the car's body along the door where it meets the felt seal. It silenced the creaking from the door 99.5%.

2. Secured spare tire by tightened it.

3. Lithium greased at all of the door latches (4-doors).

4. Wrapped the D-Ring that the back-seat latches snaps onto it with cloth tapes.

5. There is a plastic ring at the gas cap - the one that has the rubber wire connecting the car body. Tap it slightly and it rattles. Silence it by using cloth tape.

6. Inspection by lifting up the car and inspect the underside. Everything is secured. At first find, there is some loose nuts securing the heat shield so I got the dealer to tighten it. All other parts are secured and make no noise.

7. Tapping lightly all over the car when parked. No sound whatsoever.

I took the car to the dealer and they initially heard it too. Told me to bring the car in again in a couple of days cuz it was already 4pm and i didn't want to leave the car there over night without them doing anything on it.

Next day, the sound was gone. And it was gone for a week. THen back again. So i ended up haven't delivered it to the dealer yet. Had a feeling that they will end up saying "we couldn't hear anything" and that will be a waste of time.

Fast forwards 3 weeks and 3 tanks of petrol. Now I begin to notice some pattern:
The sound only comes when the tank is fully filled up.
The sound will occur only when on slightly rough road - those that makes your car vibrates (not those big holes).
The sound does not occur when idle.
The sound will go away by itself after I spent around 1/4 of the petrol (leaving the car 3/4 full).
And it's back again as soon as I fill it up to full tank.

If anyone have any idea what it is, please please please help for initial thought. I just don't want to go to the dealer with blank head and tell them "there is a tick sound. don't know what it is and where it come from" and then let them tear apart my car.

If it has been already discussed somewhere and i missed it, please point me into the right direction.

Many thanks.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Does the sound only/primarily happen when you first start the vehicle? If so it's common and it is the fuel system pressurizing. Nothing you can do about it.

NTT5418

Ready to race!
Does the sound only/primarily happen when you first start the vehicle? If so it's common and it is the fuel system pressurizing. Nothing you can do about it.
That was my thought too.

milin

Thanks for quick reply.

On daily basis I spend around 40 mins driving to work. The first half hour is spent in extreme bangkok traffic jamand the last 10 mins speeding on highway.

The tick sound happens a few mins after I started the car and it ticks all the way to work whenever the car vibrates from the road. No sound when the car is part or moving very slowly.

Same thing on the way back to my place in the evening.

Haven't had a chance for any long trip yet considering my office work.

Normally I fill up the tank on Sunday night. Ticks from monday till wednesday. Usually goes away on Thursday and back again on monday after I fill up the tank.

BS2H

Ready to race!
There is also a door tick. This happens when the plastic (B pillar) expands or contracts in temperature. This happens during movement or stationary. It literally goes tick tick tick tick tick on mine. I ignore it because it comes and goes and I know what it is.

milin

There is also a door tick. This happens when the plastic (B pillar) expands or contracts in temperature. This happens during movement or stationary. It literally goes tick tick tick tick tick on mine. I ignore it because it comes and goes and I know what it is.

Thank for the reply. Surprisingly I don't have the door tick though (or may be I have but i don't know).

I have spent too much time silencing the car and now I have no life anymore. Try to listen to it whenever I'm behind the wheel. And when I'm not, I spend hours searching what else can i do to get rid of it. Then go home, try it out, test drive and the tick is still there. And the viscous cycle continues.

Dealer doesn't seem to know where it is from either and I don't want them to randomly tear the car apart.

On the bright side, thanks for all the information on this forum. I have managed to get rid of 99% of all the noises this car makes. This is my last remaining one that I can't seem to get rid of.

Better stop and enjoy the torque....

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
best way to cure ticking is stage I flash :happyanim:

just have the dealer check it out if it makes you nervous. Sounds like the fuel pressurizing tick everyone has when you start it up.

P

plac

the ball.. that hangs from your hatch privacy tray when its in down position.

milin

+100 :thumbsup:

There are numerous threads on this and they all have the same answer.

Google is your friend. Try usng these terms in Google's search box "site:golfmk6.com ticking"

Will do. Many thanks.

best way to cure ticking is stage I flash :happyanim:

just have the dealer check it out if it makes you nervous. Sounds like the fuel pressurizing tick everyone has when you start it up.

Mine has already gone Stage 1 but the tick is still there. Will get them to check it out pretty soon. If it is a fuel pump, then at least I know where it comes from and can sleep in peace.

the ball.. that hangs from your hatch privacy tray when its in down position.

Umm never thought of this one before but I think it'd be more like a knocking noise rather than ticking when the ball hit the side panel?? Anyway, will try to secure it and see how it goes. Thanks for advise.

cwGTIautobahn

Ready to race!
you I have this too. Glad I found this thread.

It sure can be annoying sometimes. Like something swinging back an forth. At first I thought it was related to full, or empty the fuel tank was but that's not it for me. I'm gonna check the hatch tray ball.

Thx.

Enjoy!

GTI2012

Ready to race!
Ticking Sound

Some random Ideas. Don't know what the differences are between Thai and US GTI's.
When tank is full put someone in back seat to move around while you drive and listen at various places for the tick to narrow down the location.
Often a tick sound is actually a short squeek from parts rubbing, such as rubber door or hatch bumpers or suspension plastic bushings (links, spring ends, etc). Try silicone slip spray on these and see if tick goes away.
My main idea is a check valve or fuel filler neck flap that is slamming closed when the fuel sloshes in the top of the tank.
I had a tick in my old Integra before this GTI and I know how maddening it can be.

cawgti

Ready to race!
I had this ticking sound when starting up my car and driving down the street. I later found out from someone on here that it is some sort of pump and it goes away after a few minutes. At first I thought I had a stone in my tire clicking as I drove.

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
My car, 2010 mk6 golf, has the ticking noise when I park it long hours. It tick when I start it, and the sound gone when the engine temp around 190 :D. The sound come from rear right wheel ! You may experienced the same issue like mine !