GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2014 GTI, new owner questions (Common issues, I've searched don't worry!)

Mercfh

Ready to race!
So im a new Owner to a Manual '14 GTI (Wolfsburg) and I had a few questions. I've done some extensive researching on the issues these car's have had. And would basically just like some clarification on them.

Thank you ahead of time!

1. Stock Clutches, I know they are weak (or have a weak pressure plate). But if Im only planning on doing some very light mods (Exhaust, maybe CAI) is this an issue I should expect to run into? Im new to driving a stick however I don't lay on the clutch, or do any uneccesarily hard shifting. Or is this more a problem with Stage I/II peeps?

2. Timing Chain Tensioner, this is the big-one I suppose. Since it can cause so much damage. I know a TSB exists for it, but it says 2008-2012(or 2013?) I believe. Do the 14's for sure have the updated part? Also.....was this ever a "major" issue (as in very common)? Or are we still unsure of the total number of faults? I know they went through a revised part (or was it two?) but has anyone I guess had any issues with the new tensioner? or new model cars with the updated tensioner installed?
edit: TB-15-12-01 is the TSB for it, it says 2008-2013 (But the TSB was released in 2012), so I don't know if mine has the new tensioner or not.

3. Water Pump? Is this even a common issue?, i've seen spats of mentionings of it failing, but nothing really set in stone?

4. I've seen Problems about people getting their intake manifold replaced? But I have no idea why? Im not even sure what the problem is or what years it applies to?

Is there any other probable/common repairs I might see? The Waste gate rattle is such a small issue ill deal with it if I hear it, but I can't think of anything else? I've heard The timing chain design, INA adjuster, bearing bridge with oil solenoids? But literally only seen them mentioned like once....

I know this "car" doesn't need to broken in thanks to the FAQ (See I Searched!) ahah, so i'll avoid mentioning that.

Side Question: How reliable are the turbo's themselves on the car? Thanks!:w00t:

I look forward to being a part of this community. It's by far the funnest car i've ever driven.

Last edited:

WAP

Go Kart Champion
So im a new Owner to a Manual '14 GTI (Wolfsburg) and I had a few questions. I've done some extensive researching on the issues these car's have had. And would basically just like some clarification on them.

Thank you ahead of time!

1. Stock Clutches, I know they are weak (or have a weak pressure plate). But if Im only planning on doing some very light mods (Exhaust, maybe CAI) is this an issue I should expect to run into? Im new to driving a stick however I don't lay on the clutch, or do any uneccesarily hard shifting. Or is this more a problem with Stage I/II peeps?

2. Timing Chain Tensioner, this is the big-one I suppose. Since it can cause so much damage. I know a TSB exists for it, but it says 2008-2012(or 2013?) I believe. Do the 14's for sure have the updated part? Also.....was this ever a "major" issue (as in very common)? Or are we still unsure of the total number of faults? I know they went through a revised part (or was it two?) but has anyone I guess had any issues with the new tensioner? or new model cars with the updated tensioner installed?
edit: TB-15-12-01 is the TSB for it, it says 2008-2013 (But the TSB was released in 2012), so I don't know if mine has the new tensioner or not.

3. Water Pump? Is this even a common issue?, i've seen spats of mentionings of it failing, but nothing really set in stone?

4. I've seen Problems about people getting their intake manifold replaced? But I have no idea why? Im not even sure what the problem is or what years it applies to?

Is there any other probable/common repairs I might see? The Waste gate rattle is such a small issue ill deal with it if I hear it, but I can't think of anything else? I've heard The timing chain design, INA adjuster, bearing bridge with oil solenoids? But literally only seen them mentioned like once....

I know this "car" doesn't need to broken in thanks to the FAQ (See I Searched!) ahah, so i'll avoid mentioning that.

Side Question: How reliable are the turbo's themselves on the car? Thanks!:w00t:

I look forward to being a part of this community. It's by far the funnest car i've ever driven.

First, welcome to the forums. There are a bunch of great, knowledgeable people on here. I've learned so much in the past 2 years so allow me to pay some of it forward: :)

1) I'm DSG so i have no first hand experience with the Mk6 GTI clutch, however, from all I've read here, your light mods should not overly stress the stock clutch. Most clutch problems occur after stage 1, or, especially, stage 2, although some don't have any problems ever.

2) Timing chain issues have been blown WAY out of proportion on the interwebs. Yes, they're generally catastrophic, and they grenade with virtually no prior warning, but it's VERY rare. Don't sweat it. I believe your car has the most updated part, but I can't speak to specific part# revisions.

3) Water pump is a more common issue than timing chain tensioner. Several people have gone through 2, 3, even 4 pumps. VW has several revisions though it's still unknown if the issue is finally resolved. My guess is probably not. On the other hand, there are a majority of us who have put many miles, (some, huge miles) on their stock pump with no problem. Another thing I wouldn't sweat, honestly.

4) Regarding intake manifold issues, VW recognized, and corrected, an intake manifold issue. 2012 (I believe) and newer GTI's have the revised manifold which has been proven to be a permanent fix. For us with 11's and older, VW extended the warranty on it to 10 years and 120k miles, so I"m not sweating that, either.

You should have the revised wastegate so rattling should not be an issue for you. The only other thing I can think of is sometimes our coil packs can go, but that's usually after you get a tune. Switching to R8 packs solves the problem. The IHI turbos themselves have not proved to be troublesome, to my knowledge. Otherwise, the TSI is a pretty stout motor and should last a long time with proper maintenance. I'll say that again; with proper maintenance. Proper maintenance is the key. There are several people on here who have surpassed 100,000 miles with few to no issues, but these are not Toyotapliances. They require fastidious maintenance, but will reward you far more than any Toyota shit box ever could.

good luck and enjoy your ride! :thumbsup:

Post up some pics when you get a chance, and unplug your Soundaktor!

chc29

Ready to race!
For someone who's aware of all these issues you probably should have gotten these answered before you bought the car?!

That said, I was not aware of any of these issues before I bought mine CPO, except maybe the intake manifold so you're already doing much better!

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I want to say you should be fine on the stock clutch w/ those mods. Tune really expedites things. Then again, people have complained of premature clutch failure at stock levels.

Honestly, if I were stock, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mercfh

Ready to race!
For someone who's aware of all these issues you probably should have gotten these answered before you bought the car?!

That said, I was not aware of any of these issues before I bought mine CPO, except maybe the intake manifold so you're already doing much better!

Honestly I actually did look around, and from what I gathered there was nothing major, which is why I bought the car.

It's def. the funnest car i've ever driven.

Also I used to own a BMW (old 93' 325is) and so I def. am down with keeping up with preventative maintenance. I had a Honda before this which I sold literally due to how boring the thing was.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion

Thank you ahead of time!

See below.

I want to say you should be fine on the stock clutch w/ those mods. Tune really expedites things. Then again, people have complained of premature clutch failure at stock levels.

Honestly, if I were stock, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have a 6MT so I feel comfortable chiming in on that one specifically. Mine failed after going stage 1 (went stage 1 at 3k, clutch started slipping at 6.5k, replaced with new disc/flywheel/pp at 7k). I've heard they are all across the board...some people have K04 and still had stock clutch (probably pretty rare, but I saw it somewhere), some had the stock clutch fail on a stock car multiple times.
If you are new to a clutch, be aware that this car does not seem to be very forgiving to someone who doesn't know a clutch and all the things that could make them go bad.

Here are some tips that I know:
- Never rest your foot on the clutch, not even a little.
- When you're stopped at a light, stay in neutral with your foot off the clutch. If you keep it depressed all the time, it will fail faster. Just anticipate light changing so you push the clutch only when necessary.
- Avoid constant 1st gear starts in traffic. If you can help it, leave a gap between you and the car in front of you and stay in gear, rolling slowly. Constant first gear starts will wear the clutch much more quickly.
- When launching, try to launch around 1500 rpms (strictly in normal driving situations).

I'm sure I'm forgetting other things. This might be really basic to you, or other people, but I had no idea that you should keep your foot off the clutch when you're stopped at a light, so whenever I can I try to teach others what I learned the hard way.

Also, if you ever to get on it and are shifting quickly, be very conscious that the shifting in this car is very loose and sloppy. I would highly recommend a Dieselgeek Sigma Six Short Shifter, it's fantastic and really cleans up shifts making them superb!

Damnit...typed all this up and then got pulled away from my desk...so this'll be a little late to the party now, but still. :D

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Honestly I actually did look around, and from what I gathered there was nothing major, which is why I bought the car.

It's def. the funnest car i've ever driven.

Also I used to own a BMW (old 93' 325is) and so I def. am down with keeping up with preventative maintenance. I had a Honda before this which I sold literally due to how boring the thing was.

Did your vtec not kick in bro?

Grats on the GTI purchase, it's the most fun I've had in a car as well :D

Mercfh

Ready to race!
See below.

I have a 6MT so I feel comfortable chiming in on that one specifically. Mine failed after going stage 1 (went stage 1 at 3k, clutch started slipping at 6.5k, replaced with new disc/flywheel/pp at 7k). I've heard they are all across the board...some people have K04 and still had stock clutch (probably pretty rare, but I saw it somewhere), some had the stock clutch fail on a stock car multiple times.
If you are new to a clutch, be aware that this car does not seem to be very forgiving to someone who doesn't know a clutch and all the things that could make them go bad.

Here are some tips that I know:
- Never rest your foot on the clutch, not even a little.
- When you're stopped at a light, stay in neutral with your foot off the clutch. If you keep it depressed all the time, it will fail faster. Just anticipate light changing so you push the clutch only when necessary.
- Avoid constant 1st gear starts in traffic. If you can help it, leave a gap between you and the car in front of you and stay in gear, rolling slowly. Constant first gear starts will wear the clutch much more quickly.
- When launching, try to launch around 1500 rpms (strictly in normal driving situations).

I'm sure I'm forgetting other things. This might be really basic to you, or other people, but I had no idea that you should keep your foot off the clutch when you're stopped at a light, so whenever I can I try to teach others what I learned the hard way.

Also, if you ever to get on it and are shifting quickly, be very conscious that the shifting in this car is very loose and sloppy. I would highly recommend a Dieselgeek Sigma Six Short Shifter, it's fantastic and really cleans up shifts making them superb!

Damnit...typed all this up and then got pulled away from my desk...so this'll be a little late to the party now, but still. :D

Yea the clutch thing I do know. I mean i've had the car for a week and although I stalled it some on the first couple of days, haven't since :).

My only three issues now are stop and go traffic....I mean it's tough sometimes. But I generally will throw it into neutral at about 1.5k RPM and then coast to a stop.

My other issues is 1st-->2nd Gear can be not great, but apparently thats not unusual.

Still working on Stop-->1st, on hills it's tough for me to do smoothly (as in no vibration).

Also randomly reverse can be difficult...since if I feather it, it does vibrate a little bit...but giving it gas it accelerate too quick. Any suggestions? I mean some vibration when hitting near the catch point is normal right?

Also im actually getting pretty decent at downshifting, I blip the throttle a bit and it barely jerks thankfully. I do worry sometimes though, ill be running at around 2.5-3k rpm (like say in 4th gear) because I know Im about to slow down...so I dont shift to 5th/6th (Since i know i'll just have to downshift). Is this bad?

Still.....stock clutch is the main thing I worry about, since if it goes out...it's pretty much a good 1500 or so I have to pay. Im hoping it doesn't go out at 15k or something ridiculous, i'd hope at that rate they'd replace it under warranty. (Prolly won't).

Last edited:

kahuna

Hi,

I am a first time VW owner - a used GTI seemed the only reasonable replacement for a 2004 Acura RSX Type S that I totalled. For another contributor (syonxwf) :thumbup:, I preferred the 85oo RPM redline on the RSX Type S (200 HP NO TURBO). My ideal would be that engine with the DSG tranny. It really kicked when I hit 5500 RPM and exhaust wailing all the way to 8500 RPM.

Reading reply from WAP - it answered my questions on the waste gate and intake manifold :thumbup:. I'm not an engine MOD person - I prefer MUSIC MODS to listen to tunes.

I got a used 2011 GTI about 17 months ago. Got occasional engine check light starting last winter, indicating code 0299. Then the light stayed on for 4 days with a second code for the intake manifold (can't remember the number). Took it to the dealer and they told me the turbo + intake manifold had to be replaced - covered by PZEV warranty. The intake manifold problem had something to do with a small motor. The turbo problem was the wastegate. The entire assemblies had to be replaced because replacement components like wastegate and small motor are not available. With 80K miles, I accepted their suggestion for "carbon cleaning" of the valves (with the head on).

Reply from WAP indicates I will get a revised intake manifold and revised wastegate (hopefully) with the new "assemblies". Dealer's tech broke some stud on the head so had to send it to machine shop for new stud. Wondering if the dealer asked machine shop to clean the combustion chamber since head was off.

I had a head gasket leaking on an old ford contour, eventually relegating it to a permanent spot in my driveway. So I am hopeful that new head gaskets, other new gaskets, new turbo and new intake manifold will give me more miles before another major problem. Have until March 2018 with dealer warranty if water pump fails. Have DSG tranny and like it better than stick shift on RSX Type S and stick GTI I test drove. The shifts are way quicker. I've paid for tranny overhauls for a Honda and Mercedes at 120K/160K miles respectively so hoping the DSG lasts for a while more.

SHOUT OUT to NEFTIN VW in Thousand Oaks, CA for giving me a loaner Passat. The total time in shop will be about 2 weeks before I can get my GTI back. Another SHOUT OUT to them for treating me like a king when I purchased the 2011 GTI from them in 2016 because I was former military, and they offered a 2 year dealer bumper to bumper warranty.