GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Volkswagen Golf R Spy Photos

trd420

Go Kart Champion
next version should have more power and be lighter, to boot.

What It Is: For the uninitiated, the R is the top dog in a line of sporty Golf variants that include the GTI and, in Europe, the diesel GTD. Here we see a prototype for the next R, based on Volkswagen's seventh-generation Golf. The production model probably will have more extreme visuals than seen here; we believe this example is wearing the clothes of its less-powerful GTI sibling. The 2015 Golf R may feature the four exhaust pipes captured in our shots, however, and we know it will have LED taillamps.

Why It Matters: The Golf is one of our favorite compacts—the GTI is a perennial 10Best Cars winner, while the regular model also made the past two lists—and the new generation will be lighter and, hopefully, even better to drive. The GTI defined the "hot hatch" segment; the all-wheel drive Golf R provides a more upscale interpretation on the theme.

Platform: Like all lesser MkVII Golfs—and many other forthcoming Audi and VW models—the R will ride on the modular MQB architecture. It promises to cut as much as 200 pounds from the regular Golf, and we hope to see a similar amount sliced from the R. The current car’s hefty curb weight (3354 pounds as tested earlier this year) keeps it from feeling truly athletic.

Powertrains: Both the next GTI and the Golf R will be powered by variations of the brand's EA888 2.0-liter TFSI engine; the GTI will have 220 hp, while the Golf R will see its output rise from 256 hp to somewhere around 300. The R will offer a six-speed manual and an optional dual-clutch automatic in Europe; current American Golf Rs are stick-only, and if we only get one gearbox the next time around, we hope that strategy continues. We’re also hearing rumors of a Golf RS, powered by the Audi RS3's turbo five-cylinder and with as much as 370 hp. Yes, please.

Competition: Ford Focus ST, Mazdaspeed 3, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, Subaru Impreza WRX STI.

Estimated Arrival and Price: The GTI will be launched next spring in European markets and will arrive here in late 2013 as a 2014 model; we expect that the Golf R will follow one year later. The base price should stay around $35K, which is a lot to ask for a VW Golf. But the R is the only game in town if you want a relatively powerful, all-wheel-drive hatchback that doesn’t look like an ad for body kits, and the R’s high level of refinement further sets it apart

Attachments

• 2013-volkswagen-golf-r-5-door-spy-photo-inline-photo-475269-s-original.jpg
    2013-volkswagen-golf-r-5-door-spy-photo-inline-photo-475269-s-original.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 4,704
  • 2015-volkswagen-golf-r-5-door-spy-photo-photo-474091-s-520x318.jpg
    2015-volkswagen-golf-r-5-door-spy-photo-photo-474091-s-520x318.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3,086
  • 2015-volkswagen-golf-r-5-door-spy-photo-photo-474096-s-520x318.jpg
    2015-volkswagen-golf-r-5-door-spy-photo-photo-474096-s-520x318.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 3,190
  • 2015-volkswagen-golf-r-spy-photos-news-car-and-driver-photo-474084-s-429x262.jpg
    2015-volkswagen-golf-r-spy-photos-news-car-and-driver-photo-474084-s-429x262.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 3,595

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I don't get why ppl are saying 3354 lbs is heavy... new M5 is over 4000lbs. M3 is nearly 3800. Corvette is 3250-3350 and it's a 2 seater.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
This new yet-to-be-revealed information is exciting and informative. I can't imagine what it would be like if this forum ever had an entire mk7 section devoted to it, imagine the possibilities!

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
They should keep the centerline dual exhaust like on the R32 / R.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
i haaaate the mk7 body more each time i look at it :( Sad cause I will own an R when it has a turbo I5 in it..