GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k (miles) Service - advice needed...

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi!

I'm in Abu Dhabi, and my GTI is now due for its 40k-miles/60k-kms, or 4 years service; as per the recommended service schedule. It has actually done just 35k kms.

Can you advise on what are the essential service items? The local dealer is giving a quote of about USD 900!! The Dubai dealer is about USD 50 less, not worth the time to drive over there.

Do I just have to bite the bullet on this one? Will appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

EMaster24

Ready to race!
manual or DSG?
are you tuned or stock?
when was the last time you had your oil changed?
when was the last time you rotated your tires?

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I just had both the 40K and DSG service done and I can tell you this:

(Prices include labor, and this is in the US.)

The 40k service and DSG services are 2 separate services.
The 40K Service will run you about $350 USD. (Oil + Filter Change, Cabin Air Filter, Spark Plugs, Brake Fluid, Rotation, and a few other things.)
And, if you need the DSG service that will run you an additional $350 as well. (The DSG fluid is expensive.)

A good price to pay for both is around $700ish at the dealer. If you can find a mechanic that is experienced with both services, and bring your own parts, then you could probably save close to $200.

I would recommend the dealership, because they are somewhat obligated to check known parts that could be faulty and replace them under warranty.

Rascal

Ready to race!
Damn, I'm glad I can turn a wrench. At least enough to get these periodic services done. Most of that cost is pure profit.

snowsled

Ready to race!
Damn, I'm glad I can turn a wrench. At least enough to get these periodic services done. Most of that cost is pure profit.

Not really pure profit. The employees the dealership uses to perform the work cost money, lots of money, as does the facility. You pay for the convenience of having someone else spend their time WORKING on your car.

I agree with you in the sense that I do much of my own maintenance. My car was at the dealer for a 1000 mile inspection, then the 30k service, I did the other services at home. I will most likely do the 40k service at home too (non DSG), since I can find the time easier than the $350.

I just do not think the dealer service dept is cutting a fat hog, it costs a ton to run that operation and at the end of the day there may be 10-15% "pure profit" and uncle sam will have half of that. Accept that msot goes towards paying wages of guys just trying to make a living like you. Calling it pure profit is a little insulting I think.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
For 40k mile service I took in my own oil/filter and dealer charged me $20 to change... I did my own spark plugs but not until about 60k miles... A tire rotation at my dealer is only $18... AND you can change your own cabin and air filters... I DIDN'T SPEND ANYWHERE NEAR $350 and you are crazy to do so.

DSG service was done at an indy euro dealer in town for $275 which was $100 less than my dealer wanted.

Be smart, save money!

fredf

Go Kart Champion
The OP is talking Km not miles.
I just did my 4 year service at the same km and I asked for:
..oil change (brought me own oil)
..fluid inspections
...brake inspection

Total cost: $55 plus tax. They included measuring tire tread depth, lubrication of hinges, general inspection as part of their 'level 1 service'.

I did my own cabin filter. I do winter/summer tires so not need to rotate (I do that when I change over my tires, cost: $40). No need for coils or plugs at that mileage.
I did my brake fluid flush last year and will do it again next year (every two years).

That should be it.

Rascal

Ready to race!
Not really pure profit. The employees the dealership uses to perform the work cost money, lots of money, as does the facility. You pay for the convenience of having someone else spend their time WORKING on your car.

I agree with you in the sense that I do much of my own maintenance. My car was at the dealer for a 1000 mile inspection, then the 30k service, I did the other services at home. I will most likely do the 40k service at home too (non DSG), since I can find the time easier than the $350.

I just do not think the dealer service dept is cutting a fat hog, it costs a ton to run that operation and at the end of the day there may be 10-15% "pure profit" and uncle sam will have half of that. Accept that msot goes towards paying wages of guys just trying to make a living like you. Calling it pure profit is a little insulting I think.

I didn't mean profit in the accounting sense of the word. Just a figure of speech. Didn't mean to "insult" anyone either. Either way it is a lot to pay for an oil change, and some filter changes. A number of my family members work for dealers as techs. I kind of know how it works. They love maintenance. The margin is higher.

GTITX1

Ready to race!
I think I paid around $750 USD for DSG plus 40k service, everything was performed well and car ran better than new.

Dealerships have to make money. In business in order to make money, you essentially take what it costs you to do something, double it, then double it again...then double it again, and you may be able to make a profit.

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks you all for your responses, very helpful and helps get some perspective.

My car has the DSG, so thats obviously a big part of the cost. Of course the prices here are always more than the US, and I really don't get it because the labour sure it a whole lot cheaper, most of the technicians are from the Indian subcontinent or Philippines.

Agree about dealers having to make money, but the ones here must surely have better margins - there is no tax either!

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
manual or DSG?
are you tuned or stock?
when was the last time you had your oil changed?
when was the last time you rotated your tires?

Its the DSG, and stock. Last oil change was one year ago, about 9k ams ago.

The tires need to be changed anyway, so will get that done separately...

dre25

Passed Driver's Ed
To be completely honest, you are better off doing it yourself. The cost from the dealer will always be a ripoff! If you have an iPad, some sense of mechanics, and some tools, you can do it yourself and save a ton of money!

SyDiko

Ready to race!
To be completely honest, you are better off doing it yourself. The cost from the dealer will always be a ripoff! If you have an iPad, some sense of mechanics, and some tools, you can do it yourself and save a ton of money!

I was going to do a majority of the work myself, but something told me to bring it in just in case. Low n' behold, I had a crack in my intake manifold and it was replaced under warranty.

So while you can definitely do most of the maintenance yourself, you should still bring it in for a VW inspection. You can always tell them you already changed and/or rotated XYZ! They are usually happy to take some dollars off the top end to save you money.

And ask for any coupons or specials that could save you a little more!