GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

70k service, Brake Fluid Flush, Carbon Deposits

Dozhdbog

My wife just brought her 2012 4 Door DSG GTI in for the 70k service to the Alhambra dealership. They recommended a brake fluid flush, which had never been done to the car before. Apparently, it's recommended every two years.

The total cost for all that was, IIRC, $350.

In addition to the above, her check engine light had been on the last couple thousand miles. I noted that the engine shook a bit on cold starts, and the car would buck occasionally when applying heavy gas.

Turns out that two cylinders were fouled with carbon and misfiring, according to the dealership, and they quoted us $800 to clean deposits, however they dropped that price down to $550 when we went to pay.

Should we have haggled more? Did we pay a fair price? From searching about this, it seems the cost to clean carbon deposits varies wildly.

Also, was $350 too high for the 70k service plus brake fluid flush?

smax

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems pretty steep to me. The 70,000 mile service is just an oil change (~$100), and while I can't remember how much it cost to have my brake fluid flushed, I doubt it was $250.

Carbon cleaning seems pretty steep as well. My dealership charged $300 to do it at the same time they replaced my intake manifold (though the removal/installation of the intake would have been covered under the intake manifold warranty).

c72k

Go Kart Champion
You should have shopped around. There are a ton of reputable shops that would have easily beaten that price. Any reason you chose the dealer?

Dozhdbog

You should have shopped around. There are a ton of reputable shops that would have easily beaten that price. Any reason you chose the dealer?

We bought the car from them. It had been a while since I had driven the car, and when I did and saw the check engine light (and felt the engine misfires), I felt a bit concerned about my wife driving it with the two kids in the back. Shopping around would have been my preference, but children safety and having no time to do so superseded that possibility.

Dozhdbog

My wife just gave me the final cost breakdown.

The brake fluid flush and 70k service totaled $186.

They charged her an additional $43 to replace the front and rear wipers.

The deposit cleaning cost $747.

Dozhdbog

initial pricing I gave in the original post were wrong, obviously. Those were numbers my wife threw at me over the phone once she had picked up the car.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Damn, hopefully lesson learned. Check around for other shops now, that way you won't run into the same problem if you have issues later on. :thumbsup:

ben_m

Ready to race!
My wife just gave me the final cost breakdown.

The brake fluid flush and 70k service totaled $186.

They charged her an additional $43 to replace the front and rear wipers.

The deposit cleaning cost $747.

For an oil change and brake flush that seems reasonable. When I flushed just my brake fluid for my G35 they charged me like 189.

Was the $43 for wiper blades and labor? If both that's also not terrible, considering all 3 can cost $30-$40.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
The dealer quoted my gf $600 for a 60k service which they told me included spark plugs, coils, tire and break inspection and lubricating the sunroof track and air filter change. Super big rip off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
The dealer quoted my gf $600 for a 60k service which they told me included spark plugs, coils, tire and break inspection and lubricating the sunroof track and air filter change. Super big rip off

damn my 60k service is due soon.. i may just do it myself.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
damn my 60k service is due soon.. i may just do it myself.

Yea and the best part is the service clowns are always over hyping everything. " the 60k service is very very important don't miss it or take it anywhere else". Haha they make me laugh.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yea and the best part is the service clowns are always over hyping everything. " the 60k service is very very important don't miss it or take it anywhere else". Haha they make me laugh.

in the service schedule i have it doesn't even say coil packs it just says spark plugs.

I was gonna do New R8 coils and plugs just for funsies.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
in the service schedule i have it doesn't even say coil packs it just says spark plugs.

I was gonna do New R8 coils and plugs just for funsies.

Yea I got all parts for around 250 and that included R8 coils. My gf is planning to go stage 1 in the gli so I'm trying to minimize future failures.