GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice needed: P0130 popped today

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Hi folks,

During a highway cruise today, I noticed my check engine was on and using the APR Mobile app, it pulled P0130. According to what I found, this appears to be related to the turbo-mounted O2 sensor (CBFA Engine)... correct?

Anyone has an idea of what this fault really means? I'll do vagcom scan in a wee bit. Also am wondering if this is something that can be potentially covered under warranty..? My car is APR Stage II with full SPM turbo-back so logically it would seem that they'd send me on my merry way but... perhaps someone else has had something similar?

Car is still under the 3 year / 36k mile warranty and has only 19.2k on the clock.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Annnnd I think the sensor is toast:

Code:
000304 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1 
               P0130 - 000 - Malfunction in Circuit
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01100000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 30944 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2035.14.20
                    Time: 16:09:07

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 770 /min
                    Load: 16.9 %
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 102.0°C
                    Temperature: 73.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1010.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.589 V

Readiness: 0010 0101

funny thing is that I logged while doing a quick drive and it seemed to be doing something.... but I am not too sure if what I am seeing is correct... will post graphs in a wee bit

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Darn - can't graph it but current seems to be peaking at 2 ma (I believe it is mA) and dipping as low as .749 mA on deceleration; this is how it looks when rowing through 1st through 4th a few times... can't really tell if it is indicative of anything. Kinda odd that vcds measure current as opposed to voltage...

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Wiring looks legit; connector is tight.

The code is still pending (though MIL has not come back on). Car seems to drive just fine too although I feel like its lacking a wee bit in power... but just a wee bit.

jb606

Passed Driver's Ed
Its a bit hard to look at just the B1S1 current and point at the sensor. Its a better idea to overlay the O2(lambda) and fuel trims. But from the graph, excluding the deceleration parts, the sensor is working. If the wiring is good you may have lost the heater circuit in the sensor. Try to find the pinout for the senor and look for the two heater circuit pins. Disconnect the sensor from the harness, set your multimeter to ohms, and measure across the two pins. There should be some resistance. If the meter reads infinity the circuit is open and the sensor needs replaced. You can do kinda the same thing on the engine side, setting your meter to volts and turning the key on (engine off) you should get either 5v or battery voltage (can't remember off the top of my head).

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Its a bit hard to look at just the B1S1 current and point at the sensor. Its a better idea to overlay the O2(lambda) and fuel trims. But from the graph, excluding the deceleration parts, the sensor is working. If the wiring is good you may have lost the heater circuit in the sensor. Try to find the pinout for the senor and look for the two heater circuit pins. Disconnect the sensor from the harness, set your multimeter to ohms, and measure across the two pins. There should be some resistance. If the meter reads infinity the circuit is open and the sensor needs replaced. You can do kinda the same thing on the engine side, setting your meter to volts and turning the key on (engine off) you should get either 5v or battery voltage (can't remember off the top of my head).

So here's the funny part:

I did some additional diagnostic, after resetting fault codes, and the P0130 is yet again pending with a freeze frame from earlier this morning. I did disconnect the sensor and checked resistance - it's at about 7 ohms so within spec, and voltage on the engine harness side is 4.4v - also within spec. The funny thing is that when we tried to diagnose it through a professional grade obd2 scanner, not VCDS or ELM - but a bigass Matco thingie - it kept getting weird 'delayed' responses, for a lack of a better word, from the sensor.

In either case - VW said they'll warranty it pending their own diagnostic so I'll bring it in tomorrow and we'll see what's up.

Meanwhile - will appreciate additional ideas/suggestions.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
So the gods of APR dongle graced me today and I managed to get some logs through the dongle (didn't have my vcds box with me) - my observations:

O2 sensor readings pretty much stay between 0.85-1.00 mA during normal driving; even during gear shifts. The moment I let go of the gas for longer than say 1.5 seconds, the readings jumps to 15 mA.

Instant fuel trim and fuel trim adaptation (partial) hover between 0.99-1.02 constantly while fuel trim adaptation for idle was at some point -0.09 and then 0.00... I'm not convinced these readings are right.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Blast! Another code:

P3255: Regulation at Upper Limit-Intermittent

Or...: Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1; Heating Circuit: Regulation at Upper Limit

Bah...

Last edited:

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Update:

Car is at the dealership and... they are saying the VWoA tech hotline is hinting it may be the ECM.... Is that even remotely possible?!

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Well - final update:

P0130 is almost exclusively related to the heater element within S1 B1 oxygen sensor. Thankfully, the dealership replaced it under warranty regardless of my mods.

Weee!