GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any MK6 GTI issues?

CBRadio

Issues to date, since getting the car in December...

-Rear washer leak
-DSG stalling on downslope
-Creaking in both B-pillars
-Noise from sunroof when open
-Horrible noise when the turbo spools up (normal?), but I hate it
-Not sure if it is just my bad luck, or if the windshield is made of horribly crafted glass, but I've had 4 rock chips/cracks from VERY small rocks that would have never cracked or chipped my previous cars windshield.

At least my first check-up is next week!

Wes Kenney

I have the molding on the doors, and last night when I opened the rear door on the driver's side, it didn't want to open. A quick look revealed that the molding was coming loose from the door on the front edge, and it was catching on the door in front of it when I tried to open it. Sadly, I live 190 miles from the dealer, but it looks like I'll be making the trip soon. They're ordering the part today.

patrickj

Ready to race!
Quality concern

It really sounds like the quality of the GTI has really fallen. I really wanted one, but now I'm not so sure...I don't have a lot of time for stupid problems due to poor quality. Have the GTI's with later build dates been better?

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
It really sounds like the quality of the GTI has really fallen. I really wanted one, but now I'm not so sure...I don't have a lot of time for stupid problems due to poor quality. Have the GTI's with later build dates been better?

My impression is that quality has gone up from previous generations... which still doesn't make it a "reliable" car by any means

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
There will always be issues with every car, regardless of its "record".

ch1pman

Passed Driver's Ed

VW's in general have gotten way way better in quality over the last 20 years. Its funny going back in history, the original beetle was designed so that it would easy to work on when it broke down, many folks think this was the primary reason for its popularity.
Personally I'm at 3.5K miles without any real issues. My battery light will stay on for a few seconds longer than normal when I start the car, but thats really just a nuisance and could very well be from all the mods I've done to the ecu myself. Today I sat in a 2011 Ford Mustang with a full leather interior. The quality difference of just the leather is night and day. Granted, my GTI does not produce 452whp but -- it don't need to :)

VW did have some serious quality control issues with cars coming out of Mexico and Brazil factories. I met a girl one day at Starbucks who had nothing but four letter words to say about her 07 GTI and its instrument cluster problems. I have heard they have really put alot of effort into resolving those quality issues. Fortunately (for me I guess) my last two were built in Wolfsburg and like I said - no issues but an excess of good times.

The window sticker should say where the car was built/shipped from too - it would be interesting while shopping around to compare.

jayczer0one

Ready to race!
One thing that happens is a knocking noise that seems to come from the rear passenger side. It only happens when the car is cold (first start-up of the day), does not happen straight away and within a few minutes it is gone.

K

i also encounter this sound, like a rubber slapping on something right? so if this is the case, should i just deem it normal?

peechu

Passed Driver's Ed
3000 milemark.

- Tire pressure light even though I checked and rechecked. Pumped, deflated and repumped.

Took it to the dealer for my courtesy check last week at 2750 and it was fixed easy peasy.

Other than that, no problems (and hopefully none to come in first few years of ownership *crosses fingers*)

peechu

Passed Driver's Ed
VW's in general have gotten way way better in quality over the last 20 years. Its funny going back in history, the original beetle was designed so that it would easy to work on when it broke down, many folks think this was the primary reason for its popularity.
Personally I'm at 3.5K miles without any real issues. My battery light will stay on for a few seconds longer than normal when I start the car, but thats really just a nuisance and could very well be from all the mods I've done to the ecu myself. Today I sat in a 2011 Ford Mustang with a full leather interior. The quality difference of just the leather is night and day. Granted, my GTI does not produce 452whp but -- it don't need to :)

VW did have some serious quality control issues with cars coming out of Mexico and Brazil factories. I met a girl one day at Starbucks who had nothing but four letter words to say about her 07 GTI and its instrument cluster problems. I have heard they have really put alot of effort into resolving those quality issues. Fortunately (for me I guess) my last two were built in Wolfsburg and like I said - no issues but an excess of good times.

The window sticker should say where the car was built/shipped from too - it would be interesting while shopping around to compare.

So would you say I was right to be picky and make sure mine was from Germany as well? Because I felt stupid/irrational for being skeptical of the ones made in the US and Mexico.

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
1) Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor (TPMS) light went off around 1500 miles. i researched the issue and it appears that the software of the ecu reads one or more wheels at a high tire pressure. this is fixed by VAG-COM or going to the dealer.
2) rear windshield washer nozzle drip

those are only issues that i've encountered. i'm sitting at 2300 miles right now

peechu

Passed Driver's Ed
Vibration in doors while playing music with medium bass level.

I have heard that on occasion when playing the system fairly loud in my car. It is likely a door panel resonating; I have not checked to see if someting can be tightened.

My last car did the same thing (sunglasses holder and another bin door vibrating) when I played louder music. I had a 12" sub in it though and the whole trunk lid vibrated as well (although that wasn't noticeable unless you are outside). Never was able to tame the buzz in the car, but it was only on bass heavy music and that system played louder than the Dynaudio system is capable of.

The consistency in this thread is the reason I'm paranoid. I got 45 more months of payments to make and it's still near perfect for me. I even put a subwoofer in the first week and even at medium bass level for that, no noticeable vibration noise. Need to count on my luck for the upcoming years!

claudiablack

It only happens when the car is cold (first start-up of the day), does not happen straight away and within a few minutes it is gone. The car makes other odd noises too, sort of like me when I first wake in the morning. Few rattles noisy brakes and a noisy engine. Once warm, though, most of the noises go away.

Tinting

peechu

Passed Driver's Ed
I usually give mine about 1-3 minutes to warm up, in that time I just smoke a cigarette or read rss feeds till it's a quiet hum. In that time though, no noises out of the ordinary. My roommate told me I should always warm my car up in terms of babying/car care so gonna go with safe than sorry.