GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any recent GTI owners wishing they waited for the MK7 US release?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Congrats. Be warned its gonna suck for handling and ride according to the mod kings here LOL!! Sucks to have more power stock, new chassis, steering etc. I dont know how you will sleep at night lol!!

Good for you man. Those feeling left out/jealous will ensure you love it more Khan! I dont get all the people putting it down at all.

Its a GTI and when the aftermarket gets ahold of it and they have in many places already, certainly in Germany, it wont be worried about Mk6's.

The GTi now is the Mk7.

I love my Mk6 but I wish you the best with the 7 !! Major congrats. Enjoy it and be safe!

It's ridiculous isn'r it?

Fingolfin

Ready to race!
Yes part of me wishes I had waited for the Mk7, but at the end of last year I decided I would rather have the last of the Mk6s, rather than the first year of a new series. Also kind of liked the idea of having the last of the German GTIs in the USA. Only thing I regret is not waiting a few more months as the prices came down some on the new Mk6s. I'll consider trading up to a Mk7 once they are out and we get some owner reports back.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Gimmie some of that koolaid you are drinking. Because that's wrong. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It's sarcasm. ;)

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
It's ridiculous isn'r it?

It is totally. I get that some folks want the last of the Mk6's. Sounds great price wise for sure and why not!!

If i get a Mk7 it will be totally base + DSG possibly. Its all I need or care for. It gets the job done and is the best hatch out there. My base 12 is great. A base 7 will do nicely thank you!

First up is replacing the 370Z with something else - Audi S3 or M235i. Got the S3 right now for the weekend test. M235i later. I will test the Mk7 GTi again later in the summer and see what is what.

Last edited:

wlfpck

Ready to race!
My room mate is looking to get a base model golf. While he was out, saw someone test driving the new mk7. It still had all the plastic wrapping on the hood and roof.

Looks nice. Less bubbly than the mk6. Overall, I'm pretty happy. Only thing I'm jealous of is the no need to pull ECU to tune (unless I'm mistaken).

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

So I suppose the "mexican" GTI has a German heart. And the "German" GTI has a Hungarian heart.

It looks like that mexican GTI is still pretty German!

KO7

Ready to race!
It is totally. I get that some folks want the last of the Mk6's. Sounds great price wise for sure and why not!!

If i get a Mk7 it will be totally base + DSG possibly. Its all I need or care for. It gets the job done and is the best hatch out there. My base 12 is great. A base 7 will do nicely thank you!

First up is replacing the 370Z with something else - Audi S3 or M235i. Got the S3 right now for the weekend test. M235i later. I will test the Mk7 GTi again later in the summer and see what is what.

You would get the halogen-equipped GTI again Dave?
Man, an M235i would be incredible on your German roads :O

rubbaVdub

Beer Enthusiast
New MK6 owner here.

I took delivery of my brand new 2014 GTI last week. I test drove both the MK6 and MK7, and after a lot of contemplation, decided to go with the MK6. Took delivery of the MK6 with 19 KM on the odometer and saved close to $5000 due to dealership wanting to move them for the MK7.

Here's why:

-Build quality in the MK6 seemed a bit better. Plastics and materials were similar but the MK6 seemed more solid. Less rattles and squeaks.

-Experienced a crazy whistling sound through the AC vents in the MK7 when any of them were closed. Also heard a lot of wind-noise in the MK7 coming from the sunroof when in 'vent mode' between 70-120 kph.

-Performance and handling was identical between my MK6 Wolfsburg and MK7 Autobahn without the performance package. Although there was a lot less body roll and a lot more grip on the MK6 due to the better tires.

-Ugly wheels on the MK7, the Watkins Glen 18s on my Wolfsburg MK6 are quite nice however.

-Useless all-season tires on the MK7. The P Zero Neros on the MK6 aren't great but at least they're summer tires.

-MK7 comes with the RNS310 which has a tiny screen. MK6 comes with an RNS510 with large screen and 30 GB HDD.

-Nice big sunroof on the MK7 but it opens over the roof, which doesn't look good at all (similar to Audi S3 hatch)

-I prefer the MK6 headlights with the LED DRLs. Not really feeling the BMW-esque halos on the MK7.

-I want my German car to be built in Germany, not Mexico.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
New MK6 owner here.

I took delivery of my brand new 2014 GTI last week. I test drove both the MK6 and MK7, and after a lot of contemplation, decided to go with the MK6. Took delivery of the MK6 with 19 KM on the odometer and saved close to $5000 due to dealership wanting to move them for the MK7.

Here's why:

-Build quality in the MK6 seemed a bit better. Plastics and materials were similar but the MK6 seemed more solid. Less rattles and squeaks.

-Experienced a crazy whistling sound through the AC vents in the MK7 when any of them were closed. Also heard a lot of wind-noise in the MK7 coming from the sunroof when in 'vent mode' between 70-120 kph.

-Performance and handling was identical between my MK6 Wolfsburg and MK7 Autobahn without the performance package. Although there was a lot less body roll and a lot more grip on the MK6 due to the better tires.

-Ugly wheels on the MK7, the Watkins Glen 18s on my Wolfsburg MK6 are quite nice however.

-Useless all-season tires on the MK7. The P Zero Neros on the MK6 aren't great but at least they're summer tires.

-MK7 comes with the RNS310 which has a tiny screen. MK6 comes with an RNS510 with large screen and 30 GB HDD.

-Nice big sunroof on the MK7 but it opens over the roof, which doesn't look good at all (similar to Audi S3 hatch)

-I prefer the MK6 headlights with the LED DRLs. Not really feeling the BMW-esque halos on the MK7.

Performance and handling was identical?
There's 50 more lbs/feet of torque in the MK7 with one less turn lock to lock in the steering.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
New MK6 owner here.

Here's why:

Someone was sipping on the coool aide hard...

Mk6 handles better because of tires?
mk7 is not faster?

rubbaVdub

Beer Enthusiast
Performance and handling was identical?
There's 50 more lbs/feet of torque in the MK7 with one less turn lock to lock in the steering.

Technically speaking, I don't believe the MK7 has 50lb-ft more torque than the MK6, I think its more likely that the MK6 has always made more power than VW says it does, making the increase in power much more negligible than one might think.

We've seen several dynos of stock MK5 and MK6 TSI motors making 220-230 lb-ft brake torque and equivalent brake horsepower. APR concluded on several occasions that the TSI was in fact making the rated brake horsepower and torque at the wheels.

Perhaps VW is rating their power more accurately at this point. Either way, it doesn't feel like there is 50 lb-ft much of a difference, especially not after driving a Stage 1 MKV for a year. Considering MK7 and MK6 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are so close, I'd say the two cars were much closer than VW rated.

That extra turn to lock feels like it was accomplished by increasing the sensitivity of the power steering. The steering in the MK7 feels excessively electronic and lacks the road input you get in an MK6. You can swing the wheel around with little effort compared to the MK6 and especially MK5.

Someone was sipping on the coool aide hard...

Mk6 handles better because of tires?
mk7 is not faster?

I drove both cars extensively. I wasn't going to spend $35,000 on a new car without being thoroughly informed.

The MK7 comes with a set of Dunlop SP Sport AS all-season tires.
The MK6 comes with a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero 1 season tires.

That difference is HUGE.

If the MK7 (non performance pack) is faster than an MK6, why are their 0-60 and 1/4 mile acceleration figures almost identical?

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I suppose we'll have to wait for details here state side... they are barely around here.

STING

Ready to race!
Technically speaking, I don't believe the MK7 has 50lb-ft more torque than the MK6, I think its more likely that the MK6 has always made more power than VW says it does, making the increase in power much more negligible than one might think.

We've seen several dynos of stock MK5 and MK6 TSI motors making 220-230 lb-ft brake torque and equivalent brake horsepower. APR concluded on several occasions that the TSI was in fact making the rated brake horsepower and torque at the wheels.

Perhaps VW is rating their power more accurately at this point. Either way, it doesn't feel like there is 50 lb-ft much of a difference, especially not after driving a Stage 1 MKV for a year. Considering MK7 and MK6 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are so close, I'd say the two cars were much closer than VW rated.

That extra turn to lock feels like it was accomplished by increasing the sensitivity of the power steering. The steering in the MK7 feels excessively electronic and lacks the road input you get in an MK6. You can swing the wheel around with little effort compared to the MK6 and especially MK5.

I drove both cars extensively. I wasn't going to spend $35,000 on a new car without being thoroughly informed.

The MK7 comes with a set of Dunlop SP Sport AS all-season tires.
The MK6 comes with a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero 1 season tires.

That difference is HUGE.

If the MK7 (non performance pack) is faster than an MK6, why are their 0-60 and 1/4 mile acceleration figures almost identical?
The MK7 is faster! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N31dN1hlFVE

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
The steering alone is a major difference. Its not about absolute power. Its about how its used. The MK7 is a new car. They are selling really really well here.