GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone else getting tired of modding?

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
so today i installed a raceseng ashiko shift knob. my first reaction was, "really? people like this?!"

now this is not to say that the shift knob is bad or anything. it is beautifully crafted, and does indeed weight 735 grams.

but then after driving a while, i started getting used to it. by the i got home, it was "yea it's alright".

when i put in my USP short shifter, it was a similar reaction, albeit more positive. i thought the short throw was pretty cool, but after 2-3 days i forgot i even installed it anymore.

same thing when i went stage 1+. the first WOT i was like holy shit this is awesome, but now i'm just used to it.

part of the reason why i mod my car is to get my hands dirty and turn a wrench from time to time. i've been thinking of getting a downpipe, DIY, and going stage 2 this spring.

but given my past experience, i can almost predict i'll be saying "holy shit this is awesome" and then get used to it and wonder why i put so much money into the car for such short-lived benefits.

does anyone else feel this way?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
It always puts a smile on my face going wot, and I'm only stage 2. So cant say the same.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
That's life dude. We can never have enough. Always want more and that's particular the reason why. The novelty wears off quick of just about anything we own these days and we want more more more.
While I agree, the short shifter was such a great initial reaction and experience. Like I could literally not wait to get back in the car day after day to drive it and feel the short shifts, but at this point, I'm so used to it, I forget the car came with long throws. However that doesn't take away the fact the mod is there and doing it's job day after day and I probably couldn't live without it in the car if I was told to go back to stock.

I think that ultimate should be deciding factor with some mods. Could you live without them? First time I've done a spring/coil over mod on this car, and I'm so accustomed to it, I don't know if I"ll ever want to own a stock height car again ,lol. Of course it wore off the feeling of driving more planted and firm and I'm used to it.
Same thing with Stg1... Feels slow as ballz at this point, but would I prefer to go even further backwards in power? Uhhh, yeah no.
I get your point, but you have to look also at the overall benefit of the mod. Exhaust mods, probably are arguable as constantly people change their exhaust, whether they preferred it loud initially, got tired of it, and then went quieter. Probably something you could live without in the long run. Same thing intake...
Sorry if this sounds chopped and butchered, typed it partial drunk.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
Not really. Every car i had except my first car at 18 (4 total) has been modded. It just something in me to tinker my cars. Cant drive stock. I have had modded extensively like others but I like the way car rides lowered and the wheels i have on it. Will go stage 1 before the year is over and maybe a diff set of wheels.

feedingthesickness

Ready to race!
Not tired of modding but tired of being broke all the time

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I am done with modding this car and looking at replacement vehicles. With that said, watch me replace the intercooler if I still have the GTI in August, lol.

handisnacks

Ready to race!
I think that's just life, getting used to the mods can be a bit frustrating I agree. I'm currently stage 2 and just now getting used to it so it doesn't quite "feel fast" anymore. However, when I race someone (I beat a smartass in a 370Z the other day) it puts a huge smile on my face because it reminds me that "holy shit, it really is THAT fast" even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it on day-to-day use.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
no. i like driving a modded car much more than a stock car. it's not new to me every time i get in it but it allows me to enjoy it the way i want. i'd rather be "used to it" and enjoy what i have rather than wish i had more.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
no. i like driving a modded car much more than a stock car. it's not new to me every time i get in it but it allows me to enjoy it the way i want. i'd rather be "used to it" and enjoy what i have rather than wish i had more.

this.

Sometimes it become frustrating. You mod one thing and all of the sudden it brings out the weakness of another component so you end up changing that to and so on. Wallet definitely suffers a bit. Also the more mods you do, the more variables you introduce when it comes time to diagnose problems.

That said, I don't regret it.

Also as far as putting a smile on your face... I get that too. I got bored with stage 1 sort of quick, and bored with stage 2 even quicker. K04 is a game changer, been about 1.5 years and I'm not bored with it at all.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I love where my car is right now as far as mods. It drives amazing and I have nothing I can complain about really, so mods have kept me happy. I'm pretty content with the power you get from stage 2, and the suspension/steering is awesome.

I might not have had the same answer with my last car, but at least I can say that because of my experience with modding my last car that I've been able to pick better mods for this car. The end result is so much better, so I'm so much happier with this car.

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
@blingdub

happiness (modding cars) is fleeting, peace (being content) is forever (or in this case for the life of your car. search for peace.
there's nothing wrong with doing / buying things that make you happy. but know that the feeling will fade and you will be longing for the next little happiness bump until it arrives.

LargeMargeSentMe

Ready to race!
*** and take that with a grain of salt as I clearly have a modding (happiness) obsession. I joined the last sunday crew this past weekend for a canyon run, at one point I was following a white jetta tdi that wasn't lowered, and didn't have many performance mods (as far as I could tell). but he was keeping up with the person in front of him just fine and I was driving as fast as I wanted to go too. point is at the end of the day the jetta guy spent far less and got the same enjoyment as me.