GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else trade in there 2010 for a 2012?

Walter2

Ready to race!
I am seriously thinking about selling my 2010 GTI and picking up a 2012. Main reasons are:

-I want 4 DR
-I want Xenons
-Contemplating getting a DSG

Like many here, I am made a big mistake not getting xenons but I needed a car and none in my area were available. My commute also changed and I now drive in 5 mph bumper to bumper traffic for every day and am getting tired of driving stick early in the morning (I guess it does help me wake up though!).

Anyone else make this jump? I really don't want any other car besides my gti, just with everything I want. I have a dealer offering to buy my 2010 for 18k (which is what I owe).

Larry70454

Ready to race!
Maybe wait and see if the MK7 is worth getting? Who knows, they may be as different as the 2011 Mustang and you'll be like a 2010 Mustang owner.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Maybe wait and see if the MK7 is worth getting? Who knows, they may be as different as the 2011 Mustang and you'll be like a 2010 Mustang owner.

I generally avoid the first model year of big redesigns, but maybe that's just me. My 2004 Touareg comes to mind. Worst car I've ever owned from a reliability standpoint.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Wait for the mk7. If it's a disappointment, you can always pick up a mk6 for cheap off a dealer's lot.

Larry70454

Ready to race!
I generally avoid the first model year of big redesigns, but maybe that's just me. My 2004 Touareg comes to mind. Worst car I've ever owned from a reliability standpoint.

First year MK6 was not bad at all, I don't expect the MK7 to be bad either.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I am seriously thinking about selling my 2010 GTI and picking up a 2012. Main reasons are:

-I want 4 DR
-I want Xenons
-Contemplating getting a DSG

Like many here, I am made a big mistake not getting xenons but I needed a car and none in my area were available. My commute also changed and I now drive in 5 mph bumper to bumper traffic for every day and am getting tired of driving stick early in the morning (I guess it does help me wake up though!).

Anyone else make this jump? I really don't want any other car besides my gti, just with everything I want. I have a dealer offering to buy my 2010 for 18k (which is what I owe).

based on your situation and needs/wants, and the offer being what you owe, it may be worthwhile then. I'd also consider a used/certified 2011 with those options to save money.

P

plac

if a dealer ever offered me "what i owe" on any of my cars i'd be fairly interested. i've usually been offered at least $2k under what i owe in most cases. but it is just like getting in debt for an extra 2 years for nothing.. you already got thru 2 years of ownership.

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
I was given a "washout" for my 2010 with 36k miles (days short of being out of warranty) and got a 2012 AB. Totally made sense in my situation. But there are a lot of factors to weigh in.

Larry70454

Ready to race!
if a dealer ever offered me "what i owe" on any of my cars i'd be fairly interested. i've usually been offered at least $2k under what i owe in most cases. but it is just like getting in debt for an extra 2 years for nothing.. you already got thru 2 years of ownership.

The way credit works you're penalized for paying off debts, the more debt you have the better your credit score. It's a lose-lose, so why not live life while you can? I know this is bad advice, but shit it's the truth.

ronmexico

Ready to race!
I traded my 07 for a 12. I couldn't wait for the MK7. I was in a different situation, my car needed a lot of work and was off warranty so I just took that money and put it down on a new one. Plus the dealer gave me 15K for my 2007 with 60K on it, couldn't say no to that.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The way credit works you're penalized for paying off debts, the more debt you have the better your credit score. It's a lose-lose, so why not live life while you can? I know this is bad advice, but shit it's the truth.

^^ that's not exactly true... you can have high debt to income ratios and other factors as well.

P

plac

^^ that's not exactly true... you can have high debt to income ratios and other factors as well.

correct, that is NOT true. its your credit to debt ratio. funny tho, all my credit cards are empty (30k worth), yuet i have between 750-800 score or something during my last few car purchases. so i guess "more debt" isnt better. the 10 cars i have bought and paid off loans in some way or another during the last 10 years probably helps.

Larry70454

Ready to race!

You're right, I'm not saying that high debt always equals high credit. I'm just saying that they reward you for pissing your money away.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
More debt does not mean a better credit score. When I got my first credit card, my credit score was obviously very low. When I started using the card, and getting more cards, and carrying a small balance, my credit score was kind of high. When I was a student and shit hit the fan and I had high balances on my cards (always paid bills on time, even if it was just the minimum), my credit score was low. When I paid off all of my debt on the cards, my credit score was the highest it's ever been.

Are you sure that you get a penalty on your credit report/score for paying off?