GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR/Hotchkis Sway Bar Settings with DG Springs: Recommend Setting For DD

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Ordered Hotchkis Sway Bars and DG Springs (And the outlandishly priced Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit.....Grambles if I find out you are on the take from Tyrol you are going to owe be drinks next time I am in the Redneck Riviera). I am keeping the stock dampers, for now....7200 miles on the car. Stock Detroits/all seasons.

They will be installed 12/22...this has been done before my many prominent senators on this site such as Grambles and Modshack....

Grambles, are you still running front soft, rear medium? Steve, what say ye?

And anyone else with the DG Springs/APR/Hotchkis Sway bar setup SPECIFICALLY. Not looking for a discussion about other anti-sway brands with the DGs......

Also, if you are running DIFFERENT dampers with the DG/APR/Hotchkiss bar setup, interested in hearing if the damper change caused you to alter your adjustable sway setting.

Bottom Line: Going to go soft front, medium rear to start unless someone says "no, brah, that's crazy....and here's why".....with a good story...

Both these products have been reviewed ad nauseum on this site...

Again...trying to keep this thread limited to a discussion of the various settings with APR/Hotchkis sway bars, DG springs, and whatever you are running for dampers.

DonC@DriveSPM

Ready to race!
How is your daily commute, city driving, back roads?

Your all-seasons and OEM dampers will be your limiting factor.

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Ordered Hotchkis Sway Bars and DG Springs (And the outlandishly priced Tyrol Rigid Collar Subframe Kit.....Grambles if I find out you are on the take from Tyrol you are going to owe be drinks next time I am in the Redneck Riviera). I am keeping the stock dampers, for now....7200 miles on the car. Stock Detroits/all seasons.

:D I paid full price my friend and I love every dollar spent!!!

They will be installed 12/22...this has been done before my many prominent senators on this site such as Grambles and Modshack....

Grambles, are you still running front soft, rear medium? Steve, what say ye?

Front = Soft
Rear = Medium

Perfect Neutral feeling across the board! With the added stiffness from the Tyrol Kit the car feels well planted in the turns now and I love it.

Also, if you are running DIFFERENT dampers with the DG/APR/Hotchkiss bar setup, interested in hearing if the damper change caused you to alter your adjustable sway setting.

I wouldnt run anything higher than what's listed above due to the damping characteristics of the stock dampers. By increasing the stiffness of the sway bar you're adding wheel rates to the system. By adding wheel rates, you effectively bring your vehicle to an underdamped situation which wouold tend to give you the bouncing overshoot.

For better damping, Look into Bilstein MK6 Dampers or Ohlin FGVs. Good quality stuff. The Bilstein setup would be nice for future stiffness settings if you choose.

I think the APR bars + DG Springs is about the edge of the stock damper dynamics. (Not saying that they'll fail quickly, just saying in a response dynamic) It'll hold nicely and last a while, but anything beyond that you'll need more damping to prevent the pogo effect

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Front = Soft
Rear = Medium

Perfect Neutral feeling across the board!

Yup...Me to on DG springs, stock dampers and all 3 Unibraces. I love how this car feels with this set-up (and I'm a bit of a suspension/chassis junky)!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Yup...Me to on DG springs and all 3 Unibraces. I love how this car feels with this set-up!

Still cant wait to get the RB on and the XB ordered. Talk about euphoric dynamics. :D

I love this setup. Love love love it.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Still cant wait to get the RB on and the XB ordered. Talk about euphoric dynamics. :D

I love this setup. Love love love it.

Aren't ya glad I convinced you to keep those bars? They really are about perfect for this chassis...:)

Wait'll you get the Unibrace trilogy done! I honestly don't think it can get much better..

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Aren't ya glad I convinced you to keep those bars? They really are about perfect for this chassis...:)

Definitely. I also saved about $300 and I was really only worried about the front bracket design. Which has held up exceptionally well.

Wait'll you get the Unibrace trilogy done! I honestly don't think it can get much better..

Dont tease me like that Steve. :D I've actually considered getting MK6 Dampers. I think they're SLIGHTLY more in damping force than the MKVs I currently have.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Mostly city. "Limiting Factor" on what?

Well...Depends....I put my DG's on with 2-3K on the stock dampers. I'm at 7K now and they still feel great. On tires, I was amazed at how much better my Pirelli's felt once I got the suspension dialed in......To the point that I'm in no big rush to replace them, even after some Twisty sessions out in the mountains..

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Agreed with the others, I'd either do both on soft, or with the rear on medium as Z said.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
I had initially considered the VWR springs but realized that I'm actually a big fan of having some ground clearance. Practical concerns > wheel gap concerns.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ good call, imho.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Definitely a good call. And in ALL honesty. My car at angles looks lower than Bowers and vice versa. Its weird, but I honestly think they're the same spring or MK6 DG Springs on an MKV are just overall LOWER.

A_Bowers

Definitely a good call. And in ALL honesty. My car at angles looks lower than Bowers and vice versa. Its weird, but I honestly think they're the same spring or MK6 DG Springs on an MKV are just overall LOWER.

Its weird isn't it?!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD