GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR INTERCOOLER

06gsxr1000

Go Kart Champion
being stage 2 and living in the chi town area, its not just pull after pull that you have to worry about. when its 95 degrees with 90% humidity, the car will drag A TON. you'll see once you go stage 2. im saving up for a FMIC, cuz i can tell you right now my turbo hates hot days :/

Oh, I know it hates hot days! I noticed a huge huge differance today when it was brisk 70 degrees this morning on my way to work. Hmm.. is it that big of a differance?? Maybe when I get my TBE wed, I will see if they have the FMIC in stock too. Im just debating... thinking I might do the wheels first... im sick of this detroits!! haha

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
Oh, I know it hates hot days! I noticed a huge huge differance today when it was brisk 70 degrees this morning on my way to work. Hmm.. is it that big of a differance?? Maybe when I get my TBE wed, I will see if they have the FMIC in stock too. Im just debating... thinking I might do the wheels first... im sick of this detroits!! haha

i wish i bought a fmic before suspension. you have to think about what your turbo is doing once its stage 2.. your boosting 18-21psi, and holding at least 10 to redline. stock it boosts 10 and holds 4-5 redline. stock intercooler cannot keep that thing cool. thats the way i think of it. and i dont want to be putting really bad wear and tear on my turbo, so the next purchase i do will be boost gauge and intercooler!

just my opinion :thumbsup:

I've test driven GTI's 2x before I decided to order a 2012. Both times the humidity was insane and it was hot as hell. Both times the car felt slower than shit. I know they're more capable than what I experienced, having owned a MKV. I absolutely see the need for an upgraded FMIC just daily driving.

06gsxr1000

Go Kart Champion
i wish i bought a fmic before suspension. you have to think about what your turbo is doing once its stage 2.. your boosting 18-21psi, and holding at least 10 to redline. stock it boosts 10 and holds 4-5 redline. stock intercooler cannot keep that thing cool. thats the way i think of it. and i dont want to be putting really bad wear and tear on my turbo, so the next purchase i do will be boost gauge and intercooler!

just my opinion :thumbsup:

You def woke me up with this post. I never even thought of it like that! :laugh:...... FMIC definately will be coming. I didnt think of the longevity of the turbo! hmmm... well looks like APR is getting more of my damn money!!

Jacris

Ready to race!
I think of it as maintaining as close as possible the advertised power increase at all conditions. Cooler charge air is always better.
Good to do if you want to get the most out of your mods. No one likes the price but by the time you get around to it yu probably have already broken the seal on your wallet with ecu, CAI, and TBE.

06gsxr1000

Go Kart Champion
I think of it as maintaining as close as possible the advertised power increase at all conditions. Cooler charge air is always better.
Good to do if you want to get the most out of your mods. No one likes the price but by the time you get around to it yu probably have already broken the seal on your wallet with ecu, CAI, and TBE.

Ya, seal has been more then torn, it has been shredded! Def spending more then I have planned! haha, but hey OH well its fun! I was gonna just do the tune! Then came the CAI, now the TBE is coming... after that FMIC, then WHEELS/TIRES, then SUSPENSION, then ROTORS

WHEN DOES IT END???? :iono:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Oh, I know it hates hot days! I noticed a huge huge differance today when it was brisk 70 degrees this morning on my way to work. Hmm.. is it that big of a differance??

Yes. You basically could look at it like the difference between hot and cold weather.

When I say, pull after pull, I mean driving the car hard. Every time you blast through the gears or have a good drive around town or wherever, it will keep preforming where as the stock unit will quickly heatsoak and start slowing down.

Sitting idle doesn't dissipate heat from the IC as air is not rushing over it.

OneHotHatch

Ready to race!
Yes. You basically could look at it like the difference between hot and cold weather.

When I say, pull after pull, I mean driving the car hard. Every time you blast through the gears or have a good drive around town or wherever, it will keep preforming where as the stock unit will quickly heatsoak and start slowing down.

Sitting idle doesn't dissipate heat from the IC as air is not rushing over it.

I Cant't wait to get mine...ordered...still on back order?! Ryan should be calling anytime soon so i can make the long haul down!
As for the intercooler....I didnt think twice about it...The cooler the motor and all components...the more efficient they are...even if you arent running it hard....there will be less friction.....friction causes heat which is actually energy loss....with the intercooler everything should stay at a good low temp for everything to run smooth and no heat soak or worn parts sooner than the should be.

ImAuthenticFTW

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, if you can hold off a bit, which it seems like you can, i know for a fact that a company is making a TRUE front mount set up (read, not stock location, sandwiched betwen 2 other heat sources) This new one will be in front of the radiator and A/C core and get the freshest, coolest air possible.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Honestly, if you can hold off a bit, which it seems like you can, i know for a fact that a company is making a TRUE front mount set up (read, not stock location, sandwiched betwen 2 other heat sources) This new one will be in front of the radiator and A/C core and get the freshest, coolest air possible.

The tradeoff for having a "front mount" vs on in the oem location is size. The intercooler will be significantly smaller.

Doing it this way is easier and cheaper. Had it actually preformed better, we would have done it this way too. However with our design, we chose not to cut any cornes. We opted for the OEM location for installing a massive intercooler with great amounts of surface area.

ImAuthenticFTW

Go Kart Champion
The tradeoff for having a "front mount" vs on in the oem location is size. The intercooler will be significantly smaller.

Doing it this way is easier and cheaper. Had it actually preformed better, we would have done it this way too. However with our design, we chose not to cut any cornes. We opted for the OEM location for installing a massive intercooler with great amounts of surface area.

Trust me, no corners are being cut with the FMIC, and trust me, it performs! Yes you are correct, size (surface area in this case) does matter when it comes to intercoolers, my question is this though, with stock location, how much of that surface area is actually getting hit with moving, cooler, air? by this i mean air that hasnt been affected temp wise with the rad. or ac core......

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
look at the performance of the APR IC tho man.. clearly the oem ic is just poorly made. its made to be just enough for the stock turbo. thats it. the APR ic is bigger, and constructed differently. im not bashing the company you say is making one, but you also have to remember that a true FMIC also means the air has to travel thru more piping to get to the turbo, which can induce some lag. the APR IC has shown to actually reduce lag AND have way lower IAT's

ImAuthenticFTW

Go Kart Champion
look at the performance of the APR IC tho man.. clearly the oem ic is just poorly made. its made to be just enough for the stock turbo. thats it. the APR ic is bigger, and constructed differently. im not bashing the company you say is making one, but you also have to remember that a true FMIC also means the air has to travel thru more piping to get to the turbo, which can induce some lag. the APR IC has shown to actually reduce lag AND have way lower IAT's

yes because the whole foot of piping that will be added is gonna make a difference with these turbos.... come on now, it will have less piping than Forges Twintercooler setup guys are running, i havent heard ANY of them complain about lag..... just trust me, the company is already on this site, and has parts released, they are prototyping a few things right now

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
i know what you mean. i'd love for another true FMIC to come out. i love the look, and if the price is right ill be snagging it. im in the market for a IC