GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Naturally Aspirated Tune...Bang for the Buck?

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
I was in my dealer showroom a few months ago waiting for an oil change..(limited time schedule, was driving by, they could do it BAM) was looking at a few cars in the showroom....the first was a hybrid Toureg....which was priced at, as I recall, 58K? It looked overpriced by 20K. On the other hand, they had a V6 CC for38K and change, which looked like, frankly, a ton of car for the money.

However, once you move to the N/A VW, your tuning options, well, I'll leave it to you...

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_36fsi_med17.html

Regular price....$599. Gain....7hp...and that's on 93 octane...not tested with the 91 one buys here in CA.

I will simply state that I would not be interested in paying 600 bucks to compromise my warranty for 7 (if that on 91 octane) horsepower.

Come on, man.

Avant

Ready to race!
I'd actually like to give them some credit (even though I think $599 is too much) since the tune doesn't just give you more power.. it changes driveability and throttle response and in some cases gives a higher MPG.

Plus the 599 price includes your stock map, performance map, 100 octane map, valet mode, and kill mode.

My buddy who has a beta naturally aspirated tune on his MK6 says he would pay $300-400 in a heartbeat for the change in power, drivability, and throttle response.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'd actually like to give them some credit (even though I think $599 is too much) since the tune doesn't just give you more power.. it changes driveability and throttle response and in some cases gives a higher MPG.

Plus the 599 price includes your stock map, performance map, 100 octane map, valet mode, and kill mode.

My buddy who has a beta naturally aspirated tune on his MK6 says he would pay $300-400 in a heartbeat for the change in power, drivability, and throttle response.

Get it but for me all that stuff doesn't equate to a rationale for VWOA to deny my claim for a shelled engine under warranty. (I have no idea how the 3.6 is, BTW...if it's bulletproof, well...)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't do it ... Stupid on a na car. And you can't run regular after

McQueen77

Banned
Uhm....7 hp?

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't do it ... Stupid on a na car. And you can't run regular after

i wonder how much of the gains are just from running higher octane fuel. i've seen people complain because while gas mileage increased he found himself paying more per gallon fo 93 and felt like that negated everything.

now if they had the equivalent of a stage 2 tune (intake, headers) and you could upgrade for free, i could see this being something to just hold you over until you get the hardware.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
The real gains are in the driveability, such as removing the drive by wire lag. I paid $350 for a C2 tune on my mk4 VR6 and it was well worth it. $599 is probably more than I would pay but there are gains to be had, even if they're not huge like a turbo car.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I put APR software into a N/A V10 R8... it made a nice difference but bang for the buck on a N/A engine is never going to be the same as that of F/I engine

Bodhi

Go Kart Champion
Ask if you can get a trial of the tune, I know Revo gives you 3 hours to try the tune before purchasing...

I don't think i'd do it for that price, unless I tested it before hand.