GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR or Revo ... sell me

rblgti

Go Kart Champion
PM Arin@APR or Chris@Revo and hear it from the mouth of the dragon. But I must say.....APR has never failed me and their Customer service is top notch

This.

If you're wanting to be "sold"...then get it from the people who know their product the best. Not forum members. While we sometimes have great input, if you want the clearest answer you can get, Arin and Chris will probably be able to do that for you better than anyone else here. Just a thought :)

BUT SINCE YOU ASKED ;) I'd go with APR. Reliability is always great to have, and if anything WERE to ever go wrong, I mean, I'm sure you've read the reviews about APR's customer service. It's second to none.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm not gonna drive to BE sold, I'm willing to drive IF I AM sold. Does that make sense ?

Oh and Revo is in WV and the Big 12 like my TCU Horned Frogs ... they play TCU this weekend. APR is in Alabama and the SEC ... soooo, theres's that too :D

Well, I'm not going to try and convince you either way, anymore. I normally close these types of threads out without question since there is so much resource available to make an objective opinion on your own. Its ultimately your choice and what you you want to do is ultimately impacted on your opinion alone. If you want Revo based off of SEC vs. Big 12......then so be it :thumbsup: Although...SEC is pretty dominant this year minus 3-4 teams. (Including my Auburn tigers)

The only thing this thread will do is have apr fan bois vs. Revo fans bois with the occasional GIAC and UNI fan boi jumping in and stirring the pot.

mikey_g

Passed Driver's Ed
I appreciate the info. I was hoping the respective companies would "sell me", not the users of said products. At present, neither has jumped in. I have read tons and tons of info on the various tunes and that is why I posted and phrased it as I did.

I can assure you, my decision isn;t based on Big 12 vs SEC. THAT, would be stupid !!! My heart went out to the SEC this week ... Marcus Lattimore ... while he had a rotational knee dislocation, I had a vertical knee dislocation at roughly the same age (tibia and fibia came up my femur). I feel for the kid big time.

MSB065

Passed Driver's Ed
I appreciate the info. I was hoping the respective companies would "sell me", not the users of said products. At present, neither has jumped in. I have read tons and tons of info on the various tunes and that is why I posted and phrased it as I did.

I can assure you, my decision isn;t based on Big 12 vs SEC. THAT, would be stupid !!! My heart went out to the SEC this week ... Marcus Lattimore ... while he had a rotational knee dislocation, I had a vertical knee dislocation at roughly the same age (tibia and fibia came up my femur). I feel for the kid big time.

I hope someone chime in from them.

I don't think APR offers Map switching for the R where Revo does, I like to put my car stock when leaving it in others(dealer) hands(they crashed someones car a week ago, all other the papers).

HPFP makes more power so either tune will be better with that.

As you can see above the APR reliability argument was used a few times without proof of one stg2 being more reliable than the other.

Personally I think you'll be happy with either.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

Sad to say, that the admin and moderators do not condone the bantering of the vendors any more. That is why I was trying to get you to contact them directly through PM, much like you are requesting. Go to THEM dont ask for them to come to you. :thumbsup:

:D Yes Yes. I know. It DID pain me to see that clip. It was really really grotesque. Not nearly as bad as Prothro's leg years ago, but nevertheless......

mikey_g

Passed Driver's Ed
Sad to say, that the admin and moderators do not condone the bantering of the vendors any more. That is why I was trying to get you to contact them directly through PM, much like you are requesting. Go to THEM dont ask for them to come to you. :thumbsup:

Ahh, gotcha. Perhaps the Internet Marketing classes as part of Business School was making me want to see them earn business. Companies today seem to have lost their desire to sell. They just want drones to walk in and plop down plastic. Damn business school has changed perspective on my whole freakin existence ... stupid learning :laugh:

beta coefficients
ROI
derivatives

ugh ... sorry, I digress :mad0259:

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
Why just consider Revo and APR? I'm honestly quite bias for APR, I have my many reasons but the things I consider important may not apply to you. If you want to be sold on APR I recommend doing as Grambles said and visiting APR in Opelika or simply look up one of the many threads where an incompetent dealer fries a MED17, the owner of the car is looking at well over a $1,000 in repair and despite APR not having actually done anything wrong Arin will swoop in and have all of the repairs covered with a rental car to boot. You want to be confident in being covered by your tuner and APR has excellent customer service and hardware to take you all the way to 400bhp+ with OEM reliability.

If Opelika got hit by a terrible tornado tomorrow and APR was no more, I'd go GIAC. If you don't see yourself as an APR guy I think GIAC can take care of you as I believe APR and GIAC are 1a and 1b in this industry. I know GIAC makes some strong K04 tunes and they have the capability and technology to rival APR when tuning VAG vehicles.

United Motorsport seems like its becoming a popular choice but I frankly do not know enough about them. They may be worth checking out too.

Call them all and check out their customer service and support and go from there.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
:confused:

Those are the BEST threads though, I always learn the most in those situations.

Yeah. They updated the policy regarding it. Personally, I agree as well. There is much to learn outside of what's ON the surface you know?...Well...I know you know. But I've learned alot about the ECU and how each tuner tunes based on those arguements.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Mikey_g,

Reliability is our first and foremost concern with the products we make. We currently race in a professional motorsport series called Grand Am and have done so on the FSI motor starting in 2008. This is a test platform for us to figure out the limits of the motor in the most grueling environments so we can make sure we're not leaving a lot of power on the table but also not making a product that will harm your motor.

Fortunately you're a bit lucky with the golf R.

The Rods are strong. The pistons are strong and the turbo is strong!

So, here's the upgrade path I'd take.

First, the Stage 1 ECU upgrade. It will work well with the VWR intake and catback exhaust.

Next add the APR high pressure fuel pump and pick up the FREE APR stage 1+ ECU upgrade.

After that, add the APR high flow downpipe, and pick up the FREE APR Stage 2+ software.

If you're looking for map switching, do know we're testing it on our Golf R right now. : )

Next I'd look into upgrading to the larger APR Intercooler system.

After that, If you don't want to go big turbo, we'll have a new runner flap delete mod that should pick up more power, is made by APR and and will have matching software. We'll be testing that soon for stage 2+ customers.

If you do want to go with a big turbo down the line, our new turbo system is about to be released. It's using a GTX2867R turbo and is safe for the factory rods. IT only uses high quality materials. No skimping and the price reflects that!

Up next would be the runner flap delete added on top of the stage 3 system.

And beyond that, we are going to offer head porting.

And a step beyond, we have fully built motors.

The future is bright! : )

One thing you should be aware of, we offer software and matching hardware for all of the products we offer. And these products are made by APR. So you don't need to mix and match other modifications together.

All in all, we have support for you every step of the way. You can't go wrong. :)

Go APR!

Last edited:

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
sounds like i need to get my ass in a f$%king R.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
10sec 1/4? Am I right Arin?