GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1, trying to load stage 2+....

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
I am at the shop, having a custom 3" turbo-back built from scratch (pics will be posted later on the other thread) and was also trying to have the ECU flashed, via OBDII, to upgrade to stage 2+. When hooked up, we got several instances where it didn't initialize the ECU (first stage of 7 in process). Then, after unplugging and restarting the process, we got up to the 6th stage of the process only to receive the same exact message "Failed to initialize ECU".

We verified a week and a half ago with tech support (after initially thinking it wouldn't work) that, once an ECU has had the removal/opening up/ground the solder joint/read-write process ran and completed, it is able to be updated via OBDII flash with the Cheetah cable. That is why we tried it that way.

Does anyone have any idea why we got that message and never got the one telling us to use the CPD?

:iono:

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
:wosschilder980:

zee

Go Kart Champion
APR guys are probably at H20 International for the weekend, so you might have to wait till monday for a response.

Ryan Mills

Ready to race!
Indeed they are. Tons of 'em. haven't seen that many APR folkes in one place since the BBQ of '09. OP, your post seems pretty technical, and I'm sure APR will be able to answer once they get back home.

whalesalad

Ready to race!
Hmmm... this is a very odd problem. Car runs fine though? ECU isn't fried? Just can't flash thru ODBII?

About... well literally about 3 days ago I was reflashed from Stage I to Stage II APR via the ODB port. I pulled up to Eurocode at around 7pm and was on the road before 8 with a fresh flash. Those guys are freaking awesome.

Anyway... can you do other things to the ECU? Does VCDS work? Are there any codes? This might be completely retarded but I do know that sometimes you have to unlock the car before making changes (after a certain time or something there is a timeout where the ecu locks? I am assuming that last bit but I do know for sure that people have unlocked their car and then been able to do VCDS actions after that)

I'd definitely try and debug any communication whatsoever with the ECU before doing the flash... it could be as simple as a faulty cable, dust in the USB port on the laptop, dust in the ODBII port, a code in the ECU that is preventing access (possible? who the fuck knows)

Disclaimer: I'm not that experienced with VCDS and ECU's in general but I'm a total programmer nerd who writes code for fun and profit so I can formulate a pretty solid understanding of most computer systems. There are a hundred things that could be going wrong here (which your dealer should honestly know...) but I'd start removing variables one at a time to break it down and find the kink in the chain.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
We tried to unlock, but nothing seemed to work as far as that goes.

It's still Stage1 100 octane, verified via the Cheetah (the once or twice it got past step1) and by doing the normal tune change procedure to the 4 flash sequence, where I have my 100 tune.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Monday morning bump.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Bump, now that I see APR is up and awake from their weekend jaunt to Maryland.

:D

Keith@APR

Banned
Bump, now that I see APR is up and awake from their weekend jaunt to Maryland.

:D

Could you have the shop that is trying to do the install call 800-680-7921?

We would prefer to not discuss our flashing processes, etc. on the forums as it will really just confuse people and create speculation unfounded in actual experience or understanding.

From what you've relayed so far, this sounds like a super simple fix and is more than likely a plug in to I.E. affecting our active x controls.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Roger that!

Thanks!

gkallis

Ready to race!
what is the cheetah cable? please explain?

FasDarken

Ready to race!
what is the cheetah cable? please explain?

DON'T ANSWER THAT! accourding to Keith our heads might explode if we ever discover the inner cogs that make APR software work. :yikes:

gkallis

Ready to race!
well i was just wondering just incase there was a way to install at home lol

Keith@APR

Banned
DON'T ANSWER THAT! accourding to Keith our heads might explode if we ever discover the inner cogs that make APR software work. :yikes:

Lol. It's just that with the number IT pros on the forums I'll explain forever and they'll have lots of questions as to why we do it the way we do and by the end of it, most will say "oh, ok, that makes sense now!"

It's a bunch of boring stuff that is time consuming to explain.