GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 2 vs. Camaro

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
So a few nights ago, a friend and I were running, pulled up next to a current gen camaro at a light. It sounded super mean and smelled rather fuelly, it also sounded rather lopey, not sure what mods it had, still rather confused by this and thats why I'm posting. It honestly didn't sound like a v6, it sounded much too deep and throaty to be a v6. I have a friend with a borla attack exhause on a v6 mustang, it sounds super mean, probably one of the best sounding road cars I've heard in person, but it doesn't sound like a v8, which is why I'm tempted to say the camaro was a v8, I don't know though. I did a couple of 60 rolls with the guy, and honestly, we were neck and neck from 60 up to about 130 where we both wound up slowing down for traffic. He just couldn't pull away, and he was definitely flat, and he didn't miss any shifts. He didn't have any passengers, and I had my friend and probably 100 lbs worth of clutter in my backseat. My mods are in my sig, but basically I'm just trying to understand whether its possible for me to have kept up with a v8 camaro that to the best of my knowledge, had at least a catback.

rquinn19

Ready to race!
Real 60 rolls?? I only ask because I get the sense that some people on this forum and others consider it a race when they get on it and a car behind them or next to them follows suit.

I'm guilty of being that other guy. When someone in front of or next to me notices me gets on it I'll follow suit, but not with the intentions of passing them. I don't want to be caught out front going way over the limit. So I'll just sit with the car when at times if I would've gave it full throttle i would've walked away. Other guy might think he won, but I know what my car had and to be honest I don't need to win. I just have a need for speed so when there's a rabbit I chase.

Either way I wouldn't doubt it could happen especially if he wasn't in th right gear. Don't know about the SS, but my car has a smallish power band and if I start below it I''m screwed and if I hold to red line I'm also hurting myself.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
to be fair it was one 60 roll to 90 or 100, but when we went up to 130 he was in front, I slowed down after the 60 roll to let him over since there was a car in his lane, but once we passed the car we both got back on it, and while he was in front, of me by about 3 car lengths, he didn't pull away from me as we wound out to 130. So he wasn't holding back to let me get the ticket.

rquinn19

Ready to race!
to be fair it was one 60 roll to 90 or 100, but when we went up to 130 he was in front, I slowed down after the 60 roll to let him over since there was a car in his lane, but once we passed the car we both got back on it, and while he was in front, of me by about 3 car lengths, he didn't pull away from me as we wound out to 130. So he wasn't holding back to let me get the ticket.

Sounds believable. After 100 is when I'd think he'd start pulling.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
I missed the GTI vs. Camaro discussions. Maybe I should go bump the GTI vs. M5 thread that was the epitome of pants on head retarded

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
He likely had headers and cams. Cams make the engine pretty squirrely in the lower RPMs. Also, your story is totally believable. v6 Camero's are really slow. Certainly slower than stage 1. My guess is a full bolt-on v6 Camaro could probably hang with a stage 2 well.

zerolimits1

sadly those v6 camaros... not very fast. had a friend with one with intake, exhaust and some kinda ECU flash (no clue what)... and my 09 SI(i/h/e, flashpro) walked away from it easily... actually the guy(my supervisor) got his first ticket racing me in it (what 27 year old has never had a ticket)... no one pays attention to the small sport compact, red camaro on the other hand draws some attention.

vdubpwr

Ready to race!
ive personally raced an ss camaro with an auto trans, intake and full exhaust from 20- about 100 and I pulled about 3 cars on him with my stage 2. You couldve probably raced a hooked up v6.

also in the v8's the motor is slightly different from the auto and the 6 speed. I think what changes is the number of bolts on the crank but still put out the same power.

Ive got vids of my race by the way i think it may have been posted on the forum

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
3 cars from 20-100? yeah, go ahead and post that video up.

Eh, it could have happened. I had a kid in an L99 Camaro at the track with stall, tune, intake, long tubes+off road mid pipes+cat back keep telling me he ran a 12.7 stock and yet he couldn't break out of the 14s@106 when i was running mid 12s with just a tune/exhaust. Equal drivers I'm sure the OP would have lost.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
You can have an RS V6 Camaro...

The front bumper and slit in front of the hood are the dead give aways for an SS. Or an SS badge. haha

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand how people say a bad driver could effect the outcome of a race against an automatic transmission.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand how people say a bad driver could effect the outcome of a race against an automatic transmission.

In this case though both drivers were manual.

But yeah from a roll race, all you do is go flat in auto. Not much skill invloved.

With a lot of power launching from a stop, then i can see where driver would matter even in an auto. You gotta know how to get your car to hook up.

KOA789

Go Kart Champion
In this case though both drivers were manual.

But yeah from a roll race, all you do is go flat in auto. Not much skill invloved.

With a lot of power launching from a stop, then i can see where driver would matter even in an auto. You gotta know how to get your car to hook up.

if it was a manual no chance the op pulled anything