GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 2+ vs REVO Stage 2+

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Hey,

I'm going Stage 2+ very soon, just working out the prices.

I'm just debating between APR or REVO Stage 2+.

I know with the REVO, i'd have to get an SPS, which is $199USD, so likely somewhere around $250CAD.

I was quoted $645 + $160 for another program from APR. -- I don't remember if this was Stage 1 or Stage 2, or Stage 2+.

I haven't called REVO yet, but i'd expect it to be somewhere around there, but i'm not sure.

Aside from the price difference, is there much of a difference between REVO and APR?

Can i live without getting the REVO SPS for now?

I'm on a tight budget.

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion

I'm sorry, I had to do it.

HoldDaMayo

Leaner and Meaner
Car(s)
2007 GTI UG 5 Door
you don't have to get the SPS... your car would be perfectly fine at the stock settings and you could always go back to your dealer to have them adjust your settings i believe. That could save you a bunch of cash.

The way I look at it... if you're a tinkerer and plan on buying a vagcom get the Revo setup... but if you're not a tinkerer... and just want to get in your car and have it work... grab the APR setup.

Of course, my personal choice would be GIAC... they put out a great overall product and the company handles itself with integrity... Any questions just open up a Euro Tuner or European Car magazine and check out how many cars in there use GIAC programming... porsches, Bentley, Mini Cooper, GTI, S4, etc.

Anyway, like RBradley indicated, the topic is very hotly debated, however, with many pleased customers on all sides.

Lou_Y2mK5

Go Kart Champion
APR should only cost you $599 with the buy one get one program offer (if they are still going to offer it in December). Just get stock and 93 or 93 and 100 if you never plan on putting anything less than 93 octane.

Just ask for the Stage 2+ HPFP.

Okay so now that is out of the way...
Try Unitronic $650 - 265hp/310lb-ft :wink:

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
God damn.

Everybody's trying to bring me to their side!

Haha, I'll check if there are any Unitronic and GIAC dealers near me, they all have Stage 2+ (HPFP) files, and all put out around the same numbers anyways.

But yeah, I highly doubt i'd really tinker with anything, so I guess APR might work out.

I'm in Canada, so your American Dollar rapes my Canadian Loonie, which is why it's more expensive :frown:.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
you don't have to get the SPS... your car would be perfectly fine at the stock settings and you could always go back to your dealer to have them adjust your settings i believe. That could save you a bunch of cash.

The way I look at it... if you're a tinkerer and plan on buying a vagcom get the Revo setup... but if you're not a tinkerer... and just want to get in your car and have it work... grab the APR setup.

Of course, my personal choice would be GIAC... they put out a great overall product and the company handles itself with integrity... Any questions just open up a Euro Tuner or European Car magazine and check out how many cars in there use GIAC programming... porsches, Bentley, Mini Cooper, GTI, S4, etc.

Anyway, like RBradley indicated, the topic is very hotly debated, however, with many pleased customers on all sides.

Does GIAC have a way to switch between profiles? -- It's not a HUGE deal to be honest, but it'd just be nice to have.

Lou_Y2Mk5 said:
APR should only cost you $599 with the buy one get one program offer (if they are still going to offer it in December). Just get stock and 93 or 93 and 100 if you never plan on putting anything less than 93 octane.

Just ask for the Stage 2+ HPFP.

Okay so now that is out of the way...
Try Unitronic $650 - 265hp/310lb-ft

Does Unitronic have a way to switch between profiles?

Lastly, does anybody know WHICH Company makes the MOST power on a Stage 2+ File?

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
Lastly, does anybody know WHICH Company makes the MOST power on a Stage 2+ File?

This is what my previous image post was directly referring to. Personally, if you want a set it and forget upgrade...these HPFP files are not for you. It's a decent amount of work to keep tabs on your Cam Follower condition and overall car performance condition. Just something to keep in mind. APR uses the cruise control stalk to switch programs, GIAC and Revo use a handheld device, and I believe Uni doesn't offer a stock program.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Hmm.

So the Stage 2+ isn't just a set it and forget it upgrade? What if I just go Stage 2?

That's definitely more just set it and forget it right?

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
Personally, once you upgrade the car's performance there will be some items that may arise...

Stage I...
Possible DV and PCV Failure (but newer revisions seem to be holding well)
Cam Follower Check - probably around 40-50k miles

Stage II...
Possible DV and PCV Failure (same)
Cam Follower Check - probably around 20-30k miles

Stage II+ (and above)...
Possible DV and PCV Failure (newer components are hold, but higher likelihood of failure due to increased boost)
Cam Follower Check - IMO, 5-10k miles
DSG Transmission Fluid Replacement Intervals Increased (due to much more torque)

Keep in mind that other failures could arise; however, these are by far the most common.

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
Personally, once you upgrade the car's performance there will be some items that may arise...

Stage I...
Possible DV and PCV Failure (but newer revisions seem to be holding well)
Cam Follower Check - probably around 40-50k miles

Stage II...
Possible DV and PCV Failure (same)
Cam Follower Check - probably around 20-30k miles

Stage II+ (and above)...
Possible DV and PCV Failure (newer components are hold, but higher likelihood of failure due to increased boost)
Cam Follower Check - IMO, 5-10k miles
DSG Transmission Fluid Replacement Intervals Increased (due to much more torque)

Keep in mind that other failures could arise; however, these are by far the most common.

I'm already likely getting a Forge DV w/ Spacer, and the Eurojet PCV Fix.

How much more torque are we talking about from Stage 2 to Stage 2+?

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
I'm already likely getting a Forge DV w/ Spacer, and the Eurojet PCV Fix.

How much more torque are we talking about from Stage 2 to Stage 2+?

That covers the DV and PCV then. As far as the tq, I would say that it's roughly a 20-25 ft/lb increase. It's not so much this jump, but the jump from stock to this level...you're talking about a 50% Increase over stock (roughly).

phil

becausephilchow
Car(s)
2009 VW R32
That covers the DV and PCV then. As far as the tq, I would say that it's roughly a 20-25 ft/lb increase. It's not so much this jump, but the jump from stock to this level...you're talking about a 50% Increase over stock (roughly).

That is true.

Well, hmm, I don't mind checking the CAM Follower, but as far as everything else goes, is Stage 2+ pretty much just a set it and leave it?

Is the cam follower even easy to check :iono:

sloMk5

2007 GTI
nothing is set it and forget it on a VW.

rbradleymedmd

Go Kart Champion
Is the cam follower even easy to check :iono:

That's all relative depending on you mechanic skill set. There is a DIY on the Vortex (in the Technical 2.0t FSI Forum under the FAQ Thread @ the top). However, what slowGTi said is very true. You are upgrading quite a few parts of the car, VW's are overall reliable, but they do have their issues. With these upgrades, you are increasing the chance that these failures could occur.