GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage one vs Stage two

Bretzy1990

Passed Driver's Ed
How much is all the parts for a k04? From what I'm seeing it's 2000 plus and that doesn't include the intercooler. That doesn't seem cheap. I also still have to purchase a downpipe still as well anyway right? Where is the savings coming in? Tune is free with the Apr downpipe going to stage 2.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Stock to Stage 1 was a huge difference. Stage 1 to Stage 2 was meh, pulls a little better in the top end and louder cause of downpipe. My best 1/4 mile times were actually with Stage 1.

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
How much is all the parts for a k04? From what I'm seeing it's 2000 plus and that doesn't include the intercooler. That doesn't seem cheap. I also still have to purchase a downpipe still as well anyway right? Where is the savings coming in? Tune is free with the Apr downpipe going to stage 2.

It's not cheap, but totally worth the extra investment. Like many have said and done, me included, save up your money for now. When you have the means, go K04 and save yourself a few hundred $$$ in the long run.

zia

Passed Driver's Ed
Personally, I really like all the incremental improvements, performance or otherwise, with each modification I make. None of the changes are huge, but each one is noticeable and significant enough to put a smile on my face and make me not regret the money I just spent. Faster goodies: intake, Stock to stage 1, then throttle body and turbo outlet pipes, then downpipe then stage 2 tune (it was even noticeable difference before the tune), stock clutch to single mass flywheel, then light weight wheels, then fluidampr, then APR 2.1 to 2.4, then wagner intercooler. Handling goodies: VWR springs, then diesel geek shifter, then sway bars, then wheels and tires, then brake pads and SS brake lines, then unibrace UB, then tyrolsport brake stiffening kit and subframe kit. Other: kick ass stereo :). Next: water meth, then KO4.

Done all at once I would sh!t a brick if I saw what I've spent or worse, the wife would castrate me! Spread it out and it's like Christmas several times a year and each time you either go a little faster and or take that corner with more speed
!!

...my two cents.

Bretzy1990

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not cheap, but totally worth the extra investment. Like many have said and done, me included, save up your money for now. When you have the means, go K04 and save yourself a few hundred $$$ in the long run.

Right I understand that, it definitely is faster. So if done some research and looked at pricing. Would 4000 be accurate for a total k04 setup self installed? Or more than that. Where I'm at is i think I'd be cool with spending the money for apr stage 2. It's only 750 more dollars. Where as I may as well just buy a faster car before I drop 4 times as much on a k04 setup. Just my observation.

Bretzy1990

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, I see Apr does not require any other modifications along with stage 2 other than the do. I already have red top coils and one heat range cooler spark plugs. Anybody have issues with the stock intercooler or anything with the stage 2? I'm dsg so trans should he fine. This is also not my daily driver but I do go on small trips with it.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
people save money going k04 by not buying APR downpipe and intercooler. Lol buy a beluga racing downpipe,catless, (~150) or a USP downpipe for catted (~480) vs the APR downpipe which is 750.00

So if you go belugas catless downpipe you just saved a$600 if you go USP catted you saved around $270.

Then intercooler. Unitronic sells a good bar/plate intercooler for 699.99 or the AWE s3 intercooler kit wich is ~550.
APR intercooler is 1049.00 so if you get the unitronic kit thats over 300 saved and if you get the AWE S3 thats $500 saved over APR(granted the s3 intercooler isnt as big as the APR or unitronic, but its perfect for k04 and below.

So if you go beluga catless downpipe and S3 intercooler you are spending about $700 which is still less than just the downpipe at APR.

APR downpipe + intercooler = $1800.00 so minues the $700 for the beluga/s3 and you are left with $1100 towards your k04 kit. If you upgrade to the USP catted downpipe and unitronic intercooler you are still getting $600 towards your k04 kit.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I've been APR Stage 1 for 3 years, across almost 60,000 miles (137k on the vehicle total). I was never that interested in power adders beyond Stage 1 until this weekend at autocross (no, not my first event and yes, I realize that a tuned car with not much else is completely uncompetitive), where the power dropoff is very much noticeable, since the car spends a reasonable amount of time very high in the rev range. That got me thinking about doing a downpipe and TOP/turbo muffler delete to open up the top end power of the car.

Still don't think it's worth dropping ~$1k chasing an extra 20-30 HP, when the opportunity cost is suspension work which will make a much bigger difference in run times, but the thought was there.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
I've been APR Stage 1 for 3 years, across almost 60,000 miles (137k on the vehicle total). I was never that interested in power adders beyond Stage 1 until this weekend at autocross (no, not my first event and yes, I realize that a tuned car with not much else is completely uncompetitive), where the power dropoff is very much noticeable, since the car spends a reasonable amount of time very high in the rev range. That got me thinking about doing a downpipe and TOP/turbo muffler delete to open up the top end power of the car.

Still don't think it's worth dropping ~$1k chasing an extra 20-30 HP, when the opportunity cost is suspension work which will make a much bigger difference in run times, but the thought was there.

You honestly wont see much of a difference for the money and if money is a concern to you then I'd say throw that at the suspension. Stage 2 is like icing on the cake, its nice to have but you don't always need it. And the difference is minimal at best.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
That's still pretty cheap. It cost 3k to get 210hp from 170hp on my old n/a track car haha

Ah, the beauty of factory forced induction.

Already tough to get stage 1+ torque to the ground in 2nd gear out of a corner, I think I'm done with power mods until the rest of the car catches up.

Laimface

Ready to race!
Ah, the beauty of factory forced induction.

Already tough to get stage 1+ torque to the ground in 2nd gear out of a corner, I think I'm done with power mods until the rest of the car catches up.

True! I paid £250 mates rates for my map. Best money I've spent.

I need to get a new clutch before I go stage 2, then possibly an LSD after that.

Got 2x Pilot Sport 4s coming in the post to finish my set off as my fronts are on 3.3mm so they can go on the back!