GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

at 38psi my tires always wear the center out faster

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Just wondering if others see the same thing.

I keep my tires at the recommended 38psi and im on my 4th set that are wearing noticeably faster in the center than the sides meaning theyre a little over inflated.

Same results? Anyone running much less with no significant drawback?

I just bought a set of fujins at 17" and wondering if I should adjust my pressure at all going down a size as well?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I'd try dropping them 2 or 3 pounds & see how they feel. My guess is the handling will be better at 38 PSI with the trade off of more tire wear. It's a compromise you'll have to make.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I run 36 front and 34 rear with Bridgestone RE760s. No odd wear issues, neutral handling.

If I'm honest I can probably get away with even less in the rear given the 61/39 f/r weight split

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I use something similar too short bus because I experienced the same thing with the center wear.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I used to run 38 front and rear and I didn't have that issue, but I also like to push the tires hard through every bend in the road I can so I'm sure the extra wear at the shoulders balanced it out. When I changed to 36/34 my seat-of-the-pants impression was a slight gain in grip with more willing rotation after the car takes a set mid corner.

What's difficult is that the happy pressure range for every tire is going to be different. You have to experiment a bit to figure out what works.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Good info I'm gonna try the 35 all around

gtikc

Passed Driver's Ed
I also run 35 cold with the tire warming up to about 37-38 psi. I think different tires are going to be better at different pressures, so you will have to experiment. I used to run 38, but find the car rides smoother, and handles better at 35psi cold. At 38 cold, it feels like its too much up on its tippy toes, and rides worse.

Its funny that too high, or to low a pressure will hinder ride and handling, so you have to find the sweet spot.

I can instantly notice if they are even .5 psi low or high now. Often do to the springs seasons almost daily weather changes. So I'm often adding or letting air out regularly. Never noticed such a thing before this car and its lower profile rubber.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
With all front wheel drive cars, under acceleration high front pressures cause the center of the tires to wear fast.

On my car, Front: 34 psi Rear: 38 psi cold. I keep the rear at 38 psi, when I load the car up with people or cargo I don't have increase the rear pressures, everything works great and car goes as straight as an arrow and doesn't follow the crown in the road.

At the track or running it hard, the front pressures will come up to and stay at ~40 psi after a few laps, rears too. if I'm doing a full track day I may use a tire gage as soon as I pit to balance the side to side to get more predictable handling. Or if pressure get up over 42 psiI will lower to 40 psi, and readjust back to F34/R38 next morning when it's cool.

I use the same Longacre Analog Tire Pressure Gage all the time, as all gages are not created equal some read high and some read low.

Cheers!

Last edited:

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
i just went from 18" bfgoodrich sportcomp 2s to 17" conti DW this weekend. Im gonna try to stay at 35 cold on these and see how they wear.

Theyre the outgoing version cause they were on clearance for 99 a tire but man they hook up way better than the bf goodrich did and I really dont mind the sidewall softness at all. they handle very predictably on corners its just that the settling and rotation comes maybe a 1/4 of a second later than it did on the stiffer sidewalls. Big whoop its actually a little more fun and way more comfortable cruising