GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Australian mk6 dealer negotiations

William783

Passed Driver's Ed
Went down to the local dealer today to get a rough idea on pricing. Am currently looking at the black comfortline 118tsi manual with:

Pearl effect paint
body kit
sunroof
18" Topas alloys
Fog lights
Rear chrome strip
mats
boot liner
some other small extras

Without any negotiation i have been quoted $45,996 drive away. With all these extras how much room have I got to negotiate? 2 - 3k perhaps!?

How much has everyone else been saving on their mk6 in this current economic climate??????? If you could list your models, extras and drive away prices that would be great!:thumbsup: Any good deals going on in melbourne at the moment???

Thanks!

glennbot

Passed Driver's Ed
I want:
Conforline 118TSI DSG
Metalic Paint, Sports Pack & Mats

I got time of work and made a special trip down to my local Brisbane dealer to find out they lent out the car I had booked to drive so I wasn't in a very good buying mood. Because of this I thought they better do me a great deal. I basically said I wanted all of the above drive away for ~$33,000 and the sales guy said we don't need the sales as they are selling plenty of Golfs. He offered ~$35K drive away, In other words that's the paint, On-roads and mats free. I was annoyed he didn't even go talk to his Sales Manager. I got up and walked out. Still waiting for them to ring to negotiate but I'm not holding my breath.

Cheers, G

William783

Passed Driver's Ed
My dealer also said they had been selling "heaps" although I've only seen 1 black TDI on the roads thus far.

I thought your deal seemed pretty good Glennbot. I was quoted $35,200 (inc. metallic paint) drive away with no additional extras on the manual comfortline 118TSI. So according to what i've been quoted on the manual, you're basically getting free DSG, sports pack and mats. Hmmm... Am I missing something?!

glennbot

Passed Driver's Ed
Rufus,
I would expect VW to sell lots of Golf MK6 in the first Month it was on the market. People like myself that have been waiting for VW Oz to release the car and then rush in to buy one. Makes me wonder if the sales will now drop off after a month or two?

This is the break down:
118TSI + DSG = $33K
Sports Pack = $2K
Paint = $700, Mats = $200, On Road = $4535
He was only offering onroad and paint/mats. (~$5K Off)

William783

Passed Driver's Ed
Rufus,
I would expect VW to sell lots of Golf MK6 in the first Month it was on the market. People like myself that have been waiting for VW Oz to release the car and then rush in to buy one. Makes me wonder if the sales will now drop off after a month or two?

This is the break down:
118TSI + DSG = $33K
Sports Pack = $2K
Paint = $700, Mats = $200, On Road = $4535
He was only offering onroad and paint/mats. (~$5K Off)

That's still 5k though. I've never bought a new car before but i thought that would roughly be the max discount you could get on a car in this price range. I should be able to get under 40k drive away with all my extras then... hmmmm

Blaze182

Ready to race!
Well, obviously nobody keeps up with the economic climate too much :p haha.

VW's entire MK VI line up was rushed out, into production specifically due to the downturn in the world markets, with the intention to be able to produce cars at a much cheaper cost, which allways raises the question why the price hike?

I wouldnt pay 45K for a Golf (GTI Exception).

6 Months ago VW and Peugeot were seriously in trouble. The fantastic thing about australia, is the dealers are so far upthemselves they wouldn't admit it unitl their dealership had a 'Closing down' sign on the front of it.

I managed to get a GTI, DSG, leather Heated seats, Pearl paint for 38K Drive away, Mk V, 8 months ago....

Now, back then the RRP was 38,990 BASE MANUAL. + 2.5k for DSG, + 3K Leather, +700 Paint. = +$6.2K.

38,990 + 6.2 = 45,190 + ORC = ~ $48,000 AUD. For a MK V GTI, and I got them to offer it to me for $38K.

Did I buy it? No, cause I'm not going to buy a car on its way out, lol, simple as that. I like a car to hold its value, which is why I'm waiting for the New model. I knew full well there was the new line up coming, I asked the VW dealers if and when the new line up was coming, and they told me there wasnt one. Load of BS? I think so ;) lol. Everything they say, assume the opposite, or the worst.

BUT, with that said, does that give anyone an idea of how desperate the dealer was? For aussies.. thats a barloworld bargain FYI.

The more they hum and harr, dont give a damn, keep driving down. Your the one buying the car, if you decide that is what you want, dont give a rats @ss on the subject, keep driving down. You know you'll say yes to them, so theres no harm drilling until you hit a bed rock ;)

If you really wanted to save, wait 3-6 months, during which demand will have slummped greatly, as Australia will soon be feeling the recession.

Official car sales for Australia for 2009, as of March, are down 25%. NO one can tell me VW isn't feeling that.

Either wait till Aus gets crunched over the next few months, then go get a good deal, or you can buy now, but believe me, they'll allways say they're in a strong position, and yes, the golf is their 'volume seller' for obvious reasons... But thats VW stating the obvious. Its like estate agents, "Yes, we have a few interested parties" or some other BS.

I honestly havent looked into the MK VI Standard Golfs, but I'd say $45K is way overboard, why not get the GTI for the same price when its released?

As I said earlier, Aus car market is dwindling, the recession hasnt hit yet, wait till it does, then go have a field day =] Thats my advice anyway.

But from one buyer to another, if I was offered that price, I'd smile, say thank you, and not return for quite a while.

But from one Aussie to another, good luck =] You'll enjoy it when ever you purchase it, haha, I'd just prefer you to have more $$ left over, lol.
Let us know how it goes anyway. :thumbsup:

William783

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for that write up Blaze ;).
Im not going to spend 45k on a standard golf though! I was not offered this price, this was just the total price driveaway with all the accessories I enquired about. I Just wanted a price list of all the extras i was remotely interested in. I didn't offer the dealer a price on it because I was basically doing my homework on the golf accessories. I think it's stupid that they dont have a set price list with every single price associated with every little extra you can get. Anywy, now I have an idea of how much everything is worth and what point I can start my bargaining at.

I probably could afford a GTI but I don't rate the alloys on them one bit, the "body kit" barely exists on it and im not really interested in performance and wasted fuel. I'd prefer a good looking sporty golf with nice extras and good fuel efficiency.

you're probably right about waiting a few months though... I will definately take this into consideration. Thanks mate

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
There's currently a Comfortline 103TDI demonstrator for sale on Carsales.com.au for, wait for it, $50,490, and that's not drive-away either.

I mean, you've got to be kidding. No doubt it would be a nice car, but not at over $50,000.

Blaze182

Ready to race!
There's currently a Comfortline 103TDI demonstrator for sale on Carsales.com.au for, wait for it, $50,490, and that's not drive-away either.

I mean, you've got to be kidding. No doubt it would be a nice car, but not at over $50,000.

LOL! Now thats a load of BS, double the cost of a base model, haha.

Hey Rufus, I missunderstood your initial post, I thought you meant they were asking you for 45K drive away. Haha, but yeah, i can agree with you, its damn annoying when they dont give you the straight facts and prices. I had one guy at Peugeot who said he wont tell me the sale price on the 308 unless I promised to buy it... WTF. I know that sounds like I made it up, sounds farfetched and rubbish. No one under the sun would agree to purchase a vehicle on 'sale' without knowing the discounted price, no fool in hell... But that was what they told me!! LOL! I argued with him trying to tell him how stupid it was, he stood his ground, and as such, lol, I never brought a 308 =P haha.

I know full well what you mean with the GTI, its either you love it or hate it, and to be honest.. I'm still looking at the 118tsi DSG as well =P haha. Just because its got a subtle sleakness.. I dunno, something about the 118 is very attractive, haha. But the GTI pulls me back cause I have friends that go down to Caulder race way and Sandown race track, so I want something I can at least take around the track for some fun with them, even though I know I'm gonna loose, lol. Its just fun ^^

But yeah, go for it =D Good luck and let us know how it goes :D Whether you get one now or a few months down the line, it'll still be an awesome car XD Which dealer are you dealing with? My experience is the Yarra dealer is a bit stuck up, the dealer down burwood Highway is very good, they give you honest everything, they tell you straight up.. its quite a drive if your inner city like me, but they are fantastic to deal with.. not much floor stock though.

Barloworld Glenwaverley is stuck up also, but they have a decent ammount of stock, if I had to guess, Id say they have about 30 golfs on hand at any one time.

William783

Passed Driver's Ed
Blaze - Yeah went down to Glen waverly first. Stood in the showroom for like 10min expecting someone to approach me but got sick and tired of waiting and went up to reception and had to tell the lady I wanted to speak to someone. Haven't bought a new car before but i thought that heading into the showroom clearly states your intention of purchasing a car - obviously not!!! Don't particularly rate the dealer im dealing with at the moment. Sat down with him for about 30mins and boy did he spit some bull**** but so did i:thumbsup: Got to love the mind games...:fighting0030:

I will check out the burwood hwy dealership next and then call around after that. Thanks for the info on dealerships, will keep this in mind

cheers

Tensixty6

Old & Senile
Blaze - Yeah went down to Glen waverly first. Stood in the showroom for like 10min expecting someone to approach me but got sick and tired of waiting and went up to reception and had to tell the lady I wanted to speak to someone.

cheers

Glen Waverley have deteriorated considerably IMHO. I bought my GTI there in 2006. The guy that sold me the car is now based at Barloworld Bayside on Nepean Highway, Moorabbin. IF and when l get a MK6, it won't be from Glen Waverley.

gerard

went twice to Glen to look at a GTI but lack of attention drove me away.
I got my TSI at Burwin on Burwood. Friendly sales staff

Blaze182

Ready to race!
went twice to Glen to look at a GTI but lack of attention drove me away.
I got my TSI at Burwin on Burwood. Friendly sales staff

Yeah, the Glen Waverley one is a big dissapointment, in fact, despite what the guy at Glenny told me, how Barloworld can provide a better deal than any other dealership, funnily enough I got a better deal at the one along burwood highway, haha.

Ah well, sooner or later there business will die out and hopefully they'll show some care and or respect to clients there after.

EDIT:

One salesman by the name of Christian, helped me out.. but he was from the corporate sales division, but if you must deal with some one, deal with him, hes honest and tells you straight up the details. A nice guy, as for the most of the others I've spoken with, they couldn't care about me less. So if anyone really wants to buy from Glenny, I guess you can deal with Christian, he's about the best guy there.

missbix

Lennock in Canberra quoted me $34,600 for a white 90TSI DSG + comfort pack, several thousand dollars more than the other dealer's written full-price non-negotiated quote. Lennock's quote included 3% stamp duty, when the DSG petrol Golfs only attract 2% in the ACT!! When I said I couldn't afford $34K, they said I had to either lose the comfort pack or drive a manual and when I said I didn't want to, had the balls to argue with me about it. As I walked out I got a sleazy up and down look by a guy who looked like a manager. Worst. service. ever.

Anyway, think it is possible to get a white 118tsi DSG with mats&boot organiser for $33K driveaway? Unfortunately I can't wait 3-6 months as my last car was recently written off by a 4WD :( Rather than making the trip to Sydney I was thinking of using a car broker. Does anyone know a good one?