GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Balance Shaft Delete Possile on MK7 (2015 GTI)?

georgejen

Car(s)
2015 GTI
There are information on balance shaft delete, especially using freewheel kit, main reason to increase oil pressure to deal with low oil pressure due to issues with balance shaft.

Almost all of these kits are to be used on, if on GTI models, are old GTI cars, latest being MK6. There is None on balance shaft delete kit available for MK7.

Balance shaft delete is going to be whole lot cheaper in labor hours than reaplce balance shaft (by dealership or VW expert mechanics).

So the question is why no manufacturers are interested in making a kit for MK7 or newer?

Thanks

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I'm guessing the MK6 cars you are talking about are Golf Rs with an engine that's more similar to the old BPY engines. I'm not aware of any EA888 balance shaft delete kits though. I'm guessing because they are large shafts extending the length of the block and one of them also drives the water pump via belt. Also I'd think there would still need to be something in the cavity to keep engine oil pressure up. Its a more complicated design than a lot of other balance shaft setups I've seen.

georgejen

Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks for the reply. I have sent the question to a company that makes balance shaft delete freewheel kit, they confirm they only produce the kit for ea113 engines, not for ea888g3, which is I guess is MK7 engine. From online video site, perform balance shaft delete with freewheel kit appears very straight forward, if not DIY, can be done by average mechanics, no need to have dealer to do; for MK7, replacing balance shaft is the only solution, someone says, need to drop the engine to perform replacement, an expensive proposition if professionally done, which cost is likely to exceed value of the car.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
EA113 and EA888 are completely different engine blocks. 2.0TFSI from MK5 GTI and MK6 R Are almost identical in design to old 1.8T 5V engine. Balancing shafts are integrated into oil pump module, which make them easier to remove(1.8T oil pump is potencially P&P, but maybe this little difference beetween 1.8T and 2.0TFSI makes this less P&P, dunno). In EA888 balancing shafts are integrated in engine block, with its own bearings, and as mentioned, one of the balancing shafts drives water pump.

In EA888 there would be no benefit of deleting balance shafts (only more problems to overcome to delete them) that's why no one is deleting them

georgejen

Car(s)
2015 GTI
EA113 and EA888 are completely different engine blocks. 2.0TFSI from MK5 GTI and MK6 R Are almost identical in design to old 1.8T 5V engine. Balancing shafts are integrated into oil pump module, which make them easier to remove(1.8T oil pump is potencially P&P, but maybe this little difference beetween 1.8T and 2.0TFSI makes this less P&P, dunno). In EA888 balancing shafts are integrated in engine block, with its own bearings, and as mentioned, one of the balancing shafts drives water pump.

In EA888 there would be no benefit of deleting balance shafts (only more problems to overcome to delete them) that's why no one is deleting them
Totally agree.

Hopefully the root cause for low oil pressure during hot idle is not due to failed balance shaft that prevents oil pump to function properly, if so, then low oil pressure could occur not just hot idle, but all the time. If balance shaft failed, for MK7, there would be no cheap solution like delete on older models. Simpler, repair friendly design is always a better design.

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
EA888g3 have 2 oil pressure stages (low on idle and low rpm/power output and high on high power/rpm)

If you want to know better EA888g3 (instead of us explaining to you bit by bit), search for SSP 522 (VW), SSP 554 (VW, gen3B), SSP 606 (Audi) and SSP 645 (Audi, gen3b). If interested in gen4 too, SSP 683 (Audi) is worth to check

scrllock

Autocross Champion
deleting the balance shaft is more of a problem than a solution. one, you have to re-engineer the cooling system; two, you're re-introducing a lot of nasty harmonics into a noisy inline-4 which isn't great for the rest of the engine bearings.

it's also... not an issue on the ea888.3?

georgejen

Car(s)
2015 GTI
deleting the balance shaft is more of a problem than a solution. one, you have to re-engineer the cooling system; two, you're re-introducing a lot of nasty harmonics into a noisy inline-4 which isn't great for the rest of the engine bearings.

Right, the company that makes balance shaft delete freewheel says for ea888g3, it is not doable, that is why they do not offer a version of freewheel for MK7 (2015 GTI or R).

I was just researching the cause of PD164D00, which is reduced oil pressure warning on hot idle only, the worst case scenario would be failed balance shaft, probably not most cases. The car has 75K miles, bought new. I replaced the brown oil pressure sensor, issue still remains. I will hook it up with a manual guage to see.

That was the reason for bringing up topic of balance shaft delete. But for MK7, this topic is not relevant any more, because it is not possible even for the company well known that makes such kit. Thanks.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I was just researching the cause of PD164D00, which is reduced oil pressure warning on hot idle only, the worst case scenario would be failed balance shaft, probably not most cases. The car has 75K miles, bought new. I replaced the brown oil pressure sensor, issue still remains. I will hook it up with a manual guage to see.
ah, you should have started with that. could be a wiring issue, i have a connector sitting on my workbench to replace mine which has been iffy. definitely start with the manual gauge, if it's low that motor's coming out.

georgejen

Car(s)
2015 GTI
ah, you should have started with that. could be a wiring issue, i have a connector sitting on my workbench to replace mine which has been iffy. definitely start with the manual gauge, if it's low that motor's coming out.
Thanks, I will test the connector.