GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**BEWARE** - Auto tailgate opening

dstill

Ready to race!
Thought i would warn all those who have and are intending to do this mod. You'll see from another thread i carried this out with some success. However, after washing the car yesterday i noticed a mark on the tailgate (on both sides) shut near to the tailgate struts. Upon closer inspection it has been caused by the new struts rubbing on the bodywork when the tailgate is shut which has subsequently rusted.:mad0259:

Mine are coming off at the first oppurtunity, not worth the hassle in my opinion. Would be interesting to know if others who have done this mod have noticed the same problem.:(

zee

Go Kart Champion
This mod in theory is a great idea, but I got worried about getting my hatch damaged as I usually park the hatch close to the garage door or wall so that I have work room for the engine bay or front of the car if required. This habit is years old and will be tough to change.
I have nightmares of accidently hitting the Hatch button and being unable to stop the hatch from being pushed by the shocks into an object. Me crying afterwards for a few days.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
This mod in theory is a great idea, but I got worried about getting my hatch damaged as I usually park the hatch close to the garage door or wall so that I have work room for the engine bay or front of the car if required. This habit is years old and will be tough to change.
I have nightmares of accidently hitting the Hatch button and being unable to stop the hatch from being pushed by the shocks into an object. Me crying afterwards for a few days.

Sounds like me after my fiancee misjudged the wind yesterday and let the door get away from her... right into a sharp metal barrier. I parked far away from it so she'd have plenty of room to get out without hitting it, which meant just far enough for the door to really get up some speed but not quite far enough to miss it :cry:

Little chip on the edge of the door which I need to fill, but it's low and not incredibly visible - and she was the proper amount of horrified and upset, so I forgive her ;)

siagolf

Ready to race!
Thought i would warn all those who have and are intending to do this mod. You'll see from another thread i carried this out with some success. However, after washing the car yesterday i noticed a mark on the tailgate (on both sides) shut near to the tailgate struts. Upon closer inspection it has been caused by the new struts rubbing on the bodywork when the tailgate is shut which has subsequently rusted.:mad0259:

Mine are coming off at the first oppurtunity, not worth the hassle in my opinion. Would be interesting to know if others who have done this mod have noticed the same problem.:(

thank you very much for sharing your experience. i was planning to do this until i read about your hassles...definitely saved me a few bucks, time, and frustration!

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
thanks for the notice. i almost did this mod too

dstill

Ready to race!
@OP

Did you use the Skoda dampers for this mod?

Yer, used the Skoda parts as detailed in the other thread on this topic. There's anotehr thread appeared about this mod also. Someone has posted that its becuase i did'nt rotate the bracket. I did do this so this mod is at risk in my eyes.

iHeartEuro

Passed Driver's Ed
Yer, used the Skoda parts as detailed in the other thread on this topic. There's anotehr thread appeared about this mod also. Someone has posted that its becuase i did'nt rotate the bracket. I did do this so this mod is at risk in my eyes.

Thanks for the heads up...
I actually added extra springs on my MKV and it eventually "moved" the hatch door a little bit... I was hoping the original Skoda part would work better :(

Norsk

Go Kart Champion
I have Auto hatch open. I have no problems so far. I reserved the bracket and Skoda bumper stop. it works perfect. no problem.

How did you get it rusting? Do you have pictures of it? I am curious to see it.

Thanks

Glennmax

Passed Driver's Ed
I now have an auto open hatch.
All I did was flip the body-to-strut mounts 180 degrees on the the stock struts.
No Vagcom, No new struts. No new spring loaded bumpers.
No $$.
20 minute mod.

Opens with press and hold on the key fob.

The only downside is the hatch is slightly harder to close.
And does not open as high as stock.

I can only imagine how hard it is to close if you use stronger replacement struts.
The stock struts push 130 lbs ea. (I measured them with a digital scale)

Glennmax

Passed Driver's Ed
Glenmax, I do not know what car you're talking about. It did not work on my car at least.

Mk6 Golf 4dr TDI US model with warm weather. (70 degrees F)

I've always wanted to go to Norway. I am 1/4 Norwegian on my father's side.

What are the temperatures like in Norway this time of year?

dstill

Ready to race!
I have Auto hatch open. I have no problems so far. I reserved the bracket and Skoda bumper stop. it works perfect. no problem.

How did you get it rusting? Do you have pictures of it? I am curious to see it.

Thanks

Here are the photos, sorry for the clarity. I put my old struts back on and left the brackets (turned upside down compared to the standard installation).

I touched the damgaed paintwork up on the bodywork and shut the hatch to see if the old struts would still touch, lifted the hatch and the struts had paint on them so even reversing the bracket with the original struts moves them close enough to the bodywork to rub.:(

Attachments

• DSCF0007.jpg
    DSCF0007.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 1,270
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 1,304

Legohed

Ready to race!
I love it!

I've done mine now, but I used Fabia struts. If yours are still rubbing Dstill, try not tightening the bracket mount back on too tightly. I think mine rubbed the first time i tried (a knocking noise when opening!?!), so I pushed the struts as far away as possible from the metal when screwing the bracket on (2 man job), then made sure not to tighten them up too much. This defo solved the problem, though I will keep checking up on it.

P.S Anybody need those Scirocco bumpers (1K8 827 761 C)? I have spares. Pm me....:thumbsup:

Last edited: