GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Well, found my EVAP leak (P0442 code for small leak), turns out the TTRS LPFP install was the culprit, took the rear seat up, triple checked that the gasket sat perfectly and tightened the locking ring even more. Now when forcing readiness I was able to get past counter #14 but at #9 the status said "abort" in GREEN. Could be that the car was not driven to get it really hot but I'll try it again when I get the car back from the body shop next weekend. Need to finish forcing readiness with the 02 J spacer and cat to pass NJ inspection. Right now running the partial forced readiness netted my EGR, secondary air, evaporative emissions and AC passed, still need to pass 2 of the 3 remaining (cat converters, oxygen sensor heating and/or oxygen sensors). Can't wait to get this done to take off the 02 J spacer, resonator and cat.

ryanbmk6

Ready to race!
How do you guys feel about the apt big turbo kit? Any experience with it? I was thinking about going BT a little while back but just bought a house so pushed back the plans. But I'm getting back into building this thing. Got some more work to do before I got BT but I like to plan stuff out. So I was considering f23t but friends are trying to talk me into going bigger.

I really don't plan on building the motor, but I guess it's possible in a few years once the car is paid off (less than 2 years from now).

So if 400hp is my goal, to max out the block, but would like some extra room to grow, it's gunna be hard to sell me on a 4-5k kit. But $3k is a good bargain when you're looking at $$1800 for a f23t with the bells and whistles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
How do you guys feel about the apt big turbo kit? Any experience with it? I was thinking about going BT a little while back but just bought a house so pushed back the plans. But I'm getting back into building this thing. Got some more work to do before I got BT but I like to plan stuff out. So I was considering f23t but friends are trying to talk me into going bigger.

I really don't plan on building the motor, but I guess it's possible in a few years once the car is paid off (less than 2 years from now).

So if 400hp is my goal, to max out the block, but would like some extra room to grow, it's gunna be hard to sell me on a 4-5k kit. But $3k is a good bargain when you're looking at $$1800 for a f23t with the bells and whistles.

If you don't plan on spending money don't go BT.

ryanbmk6

Ready to race!
If you want cheap trouble free power I'd go K04. I'm not a fan of hybrid turbos.

Already k04. Been k04 for about two years. Deciding to keep this car so ready to start planning out the next couple years of this car.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Already k04. Been k04 for about two years. Deciding to keep this car so ready to start planning out the next couple years of this car.

FYI - I am going from K04 to EFR 7163 - will be 500ish whp. Just purchasing parts now but I am budgeting 15K with another 3K for extras or surprises.

I have been K04 for 3years. It is so reliable and is the perfect match for a stock motor. My advice is to stay K04 unless you are ready to spend significant money. A quick spooling 335whp K04 power is all you need. What makes it so much fun to drive is all that torque that comes on so early. Going for max hp you may give up some or a lot of that "fun" depending on your choice.

Just an opinion for your consideration.

ryanbmk6

Ready to race!
Plan to spend well over $3k.

Trust me I totally understand it's going to cost more then that all together. I've put plenty of research into it and fallowed this thread a lot. I'm just asking for opinions on that kit.

ryanbmk6

Ready to race!
FYI - I am going from K04 to EFR 7163 - will be 500ish whp. Just purchasing parts now but I am budgeting 15K with another 3K for extras or surprises.

I have been K04 for 3years. It is so reliable and is the perfect match for a stock motor. My advice is to stay K04 unless you are ready to spend significant money. A quick spooling 335whp K04 power is all you need. What makes it so much fun to drive is all that torque that comes on so early. Going for max hp you may give up some or a lot of that "fun" depending on your choice.

Just an opinion for your consideration.

Yeah I feel yah. I understand it's going to cost more then 3k in the long run, I'm not expecting to by the kit and ta-da it's done. I get how this works.

I've enjoyed k04, but I want more power. I want more too end. I want to stop watching v8 cars walk away from me at 80mph. I looking for that top end.

I'm really just curious about the kit. I want to get close to the limit of the stock block, but have enough headroom to build the block in the future.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
If you're K04 there is absolutely NO reason to waste time/money/energy on the F23. If you want to go big turbo, expect to pay at least 3k for a used kit and a base tune. If you don't have either a lot of money or a lot of knowledge big turbo is not the way to go.

In my opinion, stay K04. It's reliable, it works, you don't have to mess with it. Take your 3k and buy either a Miata for the track or something with an LS motor.

I wouldn't even worry about the rods. 99% of rod failure on the TSI seem to be either fueling related on oil related.

ryanbmk6

Ready to race!
If you're K04 there is absolutely NO reason to waste time/money/energy on the F23. If you want to go big turbo, expect to pay at least 3k for a used kit and a base tune. If you don't have either a lot of money or a lot of knowledge big turbo is not the way to go.

In my opinion, stay K04. It's reliable, it works, you don't have to mess with it. Take your 3k and buy either a Miata for the track or something with an LS motor.

I wouldn't even worry about the rods. 99% of rod failure on the TSI seem to be either fueling related on oil related.

The gti is my second car. It is the project car.

I'm pretty knowledgeable. I've built motors before (Nissan stuff). The hardware is absolutely not a problem. The only thing I leave to the pros is the tuning. I've got enough connections with people who build real race cars I could fabricate if needed. I definitely know what I'm doing. Not my first rodeo and not your standard v-dub kid lol.

I've thought a lot about building a project car, at this stage in life I don't have anywhere to build a car from the ground up. I love this car, I don't wanna get rid of it. Just wanna make it faster.

I know it's not cheap that's why I'm talking long term. I don't have $10k laying around, if I did I probably wouldn't be fucking with a gti. But money comes with time, so cost is just restricted by time. I'm not in a hurry.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
there's a guy selling his stage 3 kit on fb for $2500 i believe. i'd pull the trigger on that. you can make good usable power and have a lot of room to grow. i'm not a big fan of the f23t either. while the numbers are impressive, moving the power up top instead of increasing the spike down low will make more, safer, usable power and is plenty of fun.

plus you don't have to spend all the money up front. get a tune and a boost controller and you can bump it up yourself as you go (i.e. adding fueling, building motor, etc.)

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Also, I got the head off and found my issue. All of the intake-side rockers except for one came off of the lifters. It looks like the lifter retaining clips bent and then popped off. You can see the rockers slid down the valve spring but the edge stayed on the lifters, so the cams were still were able to move the valves. you can even see how the cam oscillations made them chew into the head. One of the rockers came off completely and fell into the valley between the intake/exhaust sides. You can tell by the valves that one cylinder was running super rich since it was only getting half as much air.

The good news is without rockers, the valves don't move, so no damage to the pistons :eek: still trying to figure out next steps but will for sure need a new intake cam. Everything else looks salvageable except i need new clips for the lifters.

So here are pics of what an occasional high-rpm misfire/ticking sound looks like: