GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
What made you go with the beach buggy turbo? have you heard good things about them? keep us in the loop with all of its progress!

I want to see what that turbo can do.

1: I did a lot of research online and they appear to have a good reputation in the UK.

2: I wanted something that would bolt on easy enough and be able to max out the stock fuel system.

3: Wasn’t interested in spending $5k+ on a kit which included parts I already had.

4: I specifically wanted to get tuning done using ethanol based mixes.

I did look at the turbo zentrum kits but it would have required a bit of messing about. The only issue so far was that I needed a DV relocation kit, and this wasn’t communicated to me, so I had to order one from unitronic USA and get it shipped while the car was sitting around in the shop. Not a huge deal but prefer to have everything ready to go.

Mechanic said pick up tomorrow so let’s see what happens. I’m sure there will be some tuning kinks to iron out but stratified appear to have some decent experience in tuning K04 hybrids on E20, so they should be able to get it sorted. I have a 1/4 mile setup 90 minutes away so will try to get a mph figure for everyone.

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
Mechanic sent me a pic and said the turbo isn’t lining up and he can’t fit it. Seriously annoying as I was told it’s a bolt in kit for the TSI engine. Either the mechanic is incompetent or the company that sold it.

Stock turbo on the left, hybrid K04 on the right.

I will contact another shop that is good with custom stuff to see what they can do otherwise I’ll just ship it back for a refund (hopefully) and go with another company who can guarantee a true bolt on kit.

Just want something to Max out the stock fuel system. I read a bit about the M380H turbo by mabotech, over 400whp with a bit of ethanol, but not sure if there are any still for sale.

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
If you can, and the mechanic doesn’t know this then I am tempted to slap him.

Damn man! Hope you figure it out and it goes on easy. I was able to talk to BBT a couple months ago and they assured me that it would bolt right up as well.

Then again I'm not sure if there is a difference between a TFSI engine and a TSI... I think they are they same... right? TFSI is just how they market it over seas is my understanding.

adema69

Ready to race!
Mechanic sent me a pic and said the turbo isn’t lining up and he can’t fit it. Seriously annoying as I was told it’s a bolt in kit for the TSI engine. Either the mechanic is incompetent or the company that sold it.

Stock turbo on the left, hybrid K04 on the right.

I will contact another shop that is good with custom stuff to see what they can do otherwise I’ll just ship it back for a refund (hopefully) and go with another company who can guarantee a true bolt on kit.

Just want something to Max out the stock fuel system. I read a bit about the M380H turbo by mabotech, over 400whp with a bit of ethanol, but not sure if there are any still for sale.

Looks like the hybrid turbo was never modified to fit the tsi?
the turbo outlet needs to be cut and have new piece welded on. Rotating the turbo wont do anything.

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
Got a message back from Beach Buggy and they said need to simply loosen 4 bolts on compressor cover and twist it into same position as the old turbo. If this is true then my mechanic is obviously not so experienced.

Edit: Looks like the turbo outlet needs to be cut and have new piece welded on as mentioned above. :( Need to give this guy clear instructions though. Any how to guides on the internet? Or clear side by side pics? I'll do some googling...

Last edited:

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I found a few also, hopefully he will figure it out.:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Got a message back from Beach Buggy and they said need to simply loosen 4 bolts on compressor cover and twist it into same position as the old turbo. If this is true then my mechanic is obviously not so experienced.

Edit: Looks like the turbo outlet needs to be cut and have new piece welded on as mentioned above. :( Need to give this guy clear instructions though. Any how to guides on the internet? Or clear side by side pics? I'll do some googling...

K04/BBT is for FSI motor, you are putting it on a TSI motor. Just google putting K04 on a TSI motor to see what has to be done. Many have done it.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
K04/BBT is for FSI motor, you are putting it on a TSI motor. Just google putting K04 on a TSI motor to see what has to be done. Many have done it.

See this is where I get confused because they say TFSI. What the hell is that? FSI or TSI? And I believe BBT makes kits for both FSI and TSI as I'm pretty sure they have installed kits on a mk6 gti before

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
See this is where I get confused because they say TFSI. What the hell is that? FSI or TSI? And I believe BBT makes kits for both FSI and TSI as I'm pretty sure they have installed kits on a mk6 gti before

VW has a bad habit of changing things up for the sake of their marketing. It makes it a complete pain to help out customers sometimes because they're just doing what anyone else would do: reading the information off of their own car.

The worst was when they put "TSI" on the engine cover of the Mk6 Golf R.:mad:

TFSI IS GOLF R AND AUDI S3

Unfortunately Audi uses TFSI universally for their marketing and calls several TSI engines the TFSI as well. Just look at the engine cover of a B8/B8.5 A4/A5/Allroad/Q5.
Yeah, it's a real PITA.

Don't get me started on the 3.0T either...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic

In the middle of the 2008 model year VW moved the MKV GTI from FSI motor to TSI motor. All MKV GTI from that point forward were TSI motors, All MK6 GTI are TSI motors.

MK6 Golf 2.0 R - has an FSI motor.

Yes you can install a K04 on a TSI motor by modifying it. I don't know about BBT or what they make but I looked at their site and there is very little info and no mention of TSI. They appear to be creating a K04 hybrid which has internal mods but still a K04 on the outside. K04 was designed for an FSI motor. TSI motors came out after K04. I saw no mention of TSI on their site but as I said there was very little info there. If they are customizers they could easily customize one for a TSI as well.