GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Vag-Com Question About RCD-510

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
I'm, right now, sitting in my car with Vag-Com hooked up and I'm going through the Radio coding options. There's a ton of things to play around with but I don't know what half of it really does.

Here are some examples:

-Under Byte 1 there is a drop down menu that gives you choices forwhat type of sound system is installed including: "Sound System Not Installed; Volkswagen Sound System OR Dynaudio Sound System; Skoda Sound System; Dynaudio Sound System (coding may be incorrect / see TPI 2019755)". What exactly do those choices change?

-Under Byte 2 there is a drop down menu for speaker setup: "00 Sound System (active speakers); 02 2 Speaker Channels (2 passive front speakers); 04 4 Speaker Channels (2 passive speakers each Front and Rear)". What is the 00 choice for, exactly?

-Byte 3 has a bunch of check boxes for usual stuff like "Back-Up Camera installed", but the stand-out is "Shortpress Steering Wheel Buttons installed" What the hell are shortpress steering wheel buttons? I have the steering wheel controls but the box for the shortpress buttons is not checked so what is it for?

-Byte 4 is the weirdest one. It's a drop down menu that has these options:

"00 Control Module not or incorrectly Coded"
"01 Treble Speaker Monitoring deactivated (sound system)"
"02 Treble Speaker Monitoring Front Speakers active"
"03 Treble Speaker Monitoring Rear Speakers active"
"04 Treble Speaker Monitoring Front and Rear Speakers active"

I can only assume that that is simply for checking for faults involving tweeters, if they are installed

-Lastly Byte 5 - the most interesting one. It to is a drop down menu with the following choices:

"00 Frequency Response: Linear"
"01 Frequency Response: Skoda Octavia (1Z)"
"04 Frequency Response: Skoda Superb (3T)"
"06 Frequency Response: Skoda Fabia/Roomster (5J)"

What are any of those for?

Is anyone able to give any insight into these options before I go digging through Google?

Last edited:

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Okay, I can confirm that Byte 4's Treble monitoring is definitely just to constantly check if the tweeters are working. I installed aftermarket stuff and it threw codes for the tweeters as missing. I changed Byte 4 to "01" and the codes were cleared.

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Well, I figured out that you can't change anything in Byte 1 unless you select Byte 2 to "00 Sound System (active speakers)". But, with that said I couldn't change anything in Byte 5 no matter what settings in Byte 1 I chose (it always just said that the coding was rejected). It also wouldn't let me chose the "Dynaudio Sound System (coding may be incorrect / see TPI 2019755)" in Byte 1 no matter what (not that you would want to chose that for any reason) but I could chose any of the other options.

Also, I tried clicking the "Shortpress Steering Wheel Buttons installed" option under Byte 3 but I couldn't tell if it did anything or not so I unchecked it.

Last edited: