GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bigger Intercooler with NO ECU mods

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
First: If I don't get back to work instead of reading this forum I'm not going to have money for food, let alone mods.

So here is my last discussion for the day: I live in the low desert in California. It gets super hot....a couple of months where temps around 110 for highs is a likely story, and over 90 days of over 100. Humidity, fortunately, is low. (BTW, when it's 110, its f!@$!$ing hot, even if its a "dry heat")

If I flash this car, I'm getting a bigger intercooler. In the meantime (I have 666 miles on the car, not going to void the warranty today) I'd like to retain the power I've got when the burning orb reaches full strength.

I've read the various threads on S3 vs. APR.....S3 being $289 plus tax and a 30% cooling gain vs. the $1K APR beast.....

So here's my question: I know you can get an intercooler that is TOO BIG.
Is the APR intercooler too big for a stock tune TSI? I ask this because I'm not changing intercoolers twice, not paying for an S3 AND an APR.....just going straight to the APR UNLESS someone on this forum can say the APR IC is just too big sans ECU/turbo upgrades. In which case I'll S3 it.

I remember briefly understanding how an intercooler can actually be too big, and then, I forgot:bonk:

For all of you who think getting an IC without a Stage 1 tune is a felonious act, you may be right, but an IC is likely a gateway drug for me.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
For all of you who think getting an IC without a Stage 1 tune is a felonious act, you may be right, but an IC is likely a gateway drug for me.

Not the case for sure. A cooler air charge is always better. Keep in mind a higher boost number (and heat producing compression of air) exaggerates the need, a bigger IC is by no means a waste in any case.

I've done this on two cars now on stock tunes...My old Audi TT, and now my GTI. In both cases, in hot North Carolina, Power is more consistent and losses reduced when things get hot. Not a waste, but the APR, as good as it is, may be overkill for power up to Stage 1..

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Believe me even stock a I/C will help. A S3 is a good cost effective option up to Stage II. Also check out the Forge Twintercooler as a option. That's the path I took and I installed it before the tune (at the time the tune for the 2011 model year was not yet available) and there was definitely a difference. Slight increase in power and less loss of power when it does get hot. APR or the Twintercooler are good option if you think you will eventually go K04 or higher.

Just know when it is hot (living in Phoenix I have seen hot) you will see a drop in power regardless just not as much with the stock I/C.

Good luck!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Last edited:

JhnR

Banned
After my tune, im def getting an S3 intercooler. I think i wont be doing stage 2 on this dub after all the issues i've been seeing.

The S3 intercooler is a no brainer for a Stage 1 tune. Its the perfect combo.

BTW how much would a intercooler job cost?

SRT2GTI

Banned
After my tune, im def getting an S3 intercooler. I think i wont be doing stage 2 on this dub after all the issues i've been seeing.

The S3 intercooler is a no brainer for a Stage 1 tune. Its the perfect combo.

BTW how much would a intercooler job cost?

I've only seen a few issues with stage 2. I've been stage for awhile now and running great so far. An intercooler job is fairlly straight forward and can be done in your garage. I was quoted $225.00 by a local shop to install my APR intercooler.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
An intercooler job is fairlly straight forward and can be done in your garage.

THIS

The install is extensive, but extremely easy. If you know how to turn a rachet and undo couplers, you can install an FMIC

JhnR

Banned
I've only seen a few issues with stage 2. I've been stage for awhile now and running great so far. An intercooler job is fairlly straight forward and can be done in your garage. I was quoted $225.00 by a local shop to install my APR intercooler.

THIS

The install is extensive, but extremely easy. If you know how to turn a rachet and undo couplers, you can install an FMIC

Thanks both! Im not handicaped so i think i can do that, but what im worried more is about the stock hoses and trimming. Now..im bad at cutting trees...

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
There was a thread a few years ago showing APR's IC was proven to not produce lag on a stock system.

EDIT: One thread with confirmation from Arin, looking for more...

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157213

EDIT: Another: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21804&page=2

Thanks grambles! Bottom line: intercooling good. The APR unit looks so beefy, but man the S3 is seriously cheaper.

The funny thing about this car is that, imho, the mods really aren't that expensive for what your get... I mean, I bought a strippo 4 door GTI for $23.5K.

The Autobahn is $30K? Let's see, sir, would you rather have leather seats, a navigation system, headlights that move, and a louder stereo or would you like this base GTI over here that happens to run high 11's.....same price.

I may be exaggerating to make a point, but not by too much. (And I am omitting those warranty issues....many people like those in a new vehicle purchase:iono: