GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Body Color or Black Stripes on the GTI Grille?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
So I'm having the body shop paint the lower grille body color (Carbon Steel Gray) after all.....
But now I'm planning on getting the strips on the stock GTI upper grille painted.

I have them off & can't decide on either BLACK or Carbon Steel GRAY?

Any opinions? Pics?

BTW, I'm leaving the GTI & VW emblems chrome

Example of a CSG with black GTI & strips:

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Would the Carbon Steel Gray just be too "subtle" on the black?

I've seen a couple guys with the white pull it off (or attempt to)

Clempson13

Ready to race!
white racing stripes

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I went black on mine, but since you did the CSG lower, it might be a cool accent on the stripes. Hard to tell since it might not contrast enough to see it with such a small area that's surrounded by the black honeycomb.

BTW - I think the painted GTI grill looks much better than the Golf grill. I always thought the Golf grill looks out of place with the GTI lower.

Here's mine in black:

citrin1893

Ready to race!
I actually masked off my whole grille and platidipped my red stripes, but since nothing works the way I want it to, the plastidip didn't necessarily stick in certain places so I said screw it and took it all of...so much work for nothing! How long did it take you to take off each red stripe, because that was going to be my next tactic? Thanks

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I went black on mine, but since you did the CSG lower, it might be a cool accent on the stripes. Hard to tell since it might not contrast enough to see it with such a small area that's surrounded by the black honeycomb.

BTW - I think the painted GTI grill looks much better than the Golf grill. I always thought the Golf grill looks out of place with the GTI lower.

Here's mine in black:

Yeah I saw your pics in another thread...thanks BTW

Did you ever consider painting them white though?

As for painting them CSG....yeah I can't decide if it would contrast enough or not.
I don't think it'd look bad, but it again (like the lower grille) would be a subtle difference, but I think noticable?

As for the Golf grille....yeah I know. Hence why I just came up with this idea earlier today to get the strips painted since I don't like the red, but I like the honeycomb grille (and they're doing some paint work for me anyways)

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
How long did it take you to take off each red stripe, because that was going to be my next tactic? Thanks

Well I had the grille off the car already (but that's only a 5 minute job to take off the car anyways)

I'd say about 15-20 minutes since this was my first time. Didn't break any clips/tabs either. 4 clips on each strip x 4 strips = 16 total

I used a small flathead screwdriver & a plastic trim tool to lift up the black tabs that are on the grille & then pushed the tab (on the strip) out from the back. Then pulled the strip from the front obviously

Not too tricky, just a pain in the butt though

MarcSG

Ready to race!
Well since you are leaving badge and emblem chrome why not put the stripes chrome like the GTD grill?