GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost Gauge questions and picture thread

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
I apologize for this thread’s length but I wanted to start a thread for boost gauge questions as well as a general location for pictures of gauge setups to be posted.

Ok, this question applies to those who have installed boost gauges in their GTI’s. I had a full sweep electrical gauge installed, which failed unfortunately, and since the unit that converted the line pressure to a digital signal was proprietary and the cables didn’t match to another gauge I was SOL.

So I went out and purchased another gauge, an Auto Meter 3607 (manual boost gauge) from my local auto shop and hooked it up perfectly in all its LED glory (sharp looking gauge by the way looks great in a air vent). I ensured the rubber line I used was brand new and not leaking, that there were no pinches in it as I ran it from the boost tap (forge) to inside the cabin and that there were no crimps in the tube from zip ties as I put it in place. I now however have an issue in getting what I believe to be an accurate boost pressure reading. The gauge peaks around 10 or 11 positive PSI, but doesn’t maintain 10 PSI when the turbo is clearly still boosting and or making power, say for example, when flooring it in sport mode.

While driving (I have the DSG model) in 1st gear the gauge goes up to 10 psi sometimes even 12, before I shifts into second and then it drops to around 5 or 7 psi as I’m cruising around in 2nd with the pedal down a little. When you floor it all the way up into 3rd gear it peeks to 10 psi again and then even as the car is still accelerating and the turbo is screaming away the gauge drops to around 0 or 4 psi, until I upshift up to 4th or 5th gear where the gauge again does the same thing, dropping back down again.

I wanted to know if this is the normal operation for a car with a recirculating turbo charger? I was assuming when the car is floored and the turbo is spinning away it would stay far above the 0 or 5 psi mark even when shifting in between gears. Perhaps I am confusing it with a supercharged setup?
I was getting more consistent and far different readings when I had the electrical gauge connected. It showed 12 psi to 13 max thru each and every gear shift or at the very least when the pedal was pegged to the floor. I have a feeling that this new gauge is more actually more accurate and correct then the electronic one that may have been digitally filling in the gaps so to speak, and that its operation is standard and normal. Either way I just wanted to run it by some other members first and see what your experiences have been with boost gauges and what you think about my questions.

Also I noticed that the vacuum does not pull the needle all the way to -30 on either a mechanical or electrical gauge, why is that? And last but not least, I am using the forge boost tap, and each of the three tubes that stick out have different diameter holes. Which would be best for connecting a manual gauge?

Thanks for any help or insight you guys may have. God I love my GTi ;) Please feel free to post pictures of your boost gauges and or other gauge setups in your GTI’s or TDI’s as I always love to see new setups and get fresh ideas!

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
I know boost drops off a little as you get closer to red line but those numbers look like a sharp drop. Mine only drops a bit but I am also stage 1.

NEW2FAST

Passed Driver's Ed
go to www.ecstunning.com and click on interrior they have both single and duel pod mounts that retro fit on your steering coloumn and look clean mine was ordered as of yesterday. hope this helps.

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
I appreciate the post newfast, but not even close... lol. I have the pod the question was about vacumm pressure, and why it dosen't go all the way down to -30.

Anyway here are the pictures, first pic is of the previous install, second, is with the new gauge after my APR tune. I love how the needle hits 16 to 18+ psi now ;)

Attachments

• DSC00367.JPG
    DSC00367.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 230
  • gauge.JPG
    gauge.JPG
    371.3 KB · Views: 246

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
no, no pinches, i looked time and time again and left plenty of slack, the boost reads properly its the vacuum that doesnt.. i know its wierd. see my second gauge pic too, that's in 1st gear idling

:barf:
I appreciate the post newfast, but not even close... lol. I have the pod the question was about vacumm pressure, and why it dosen't go all the way down to -30.

Anyway here are the pictures, first pic is of the previous install, second, is with the new gauge after my APR tune. I love how the needle hits 16 to 18+ psi now ;)