GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bottom of Vacuum Pump Oil Leak

sauceman101

Ready to race!
I can get pictures at some point this weekend. But has anyone had an excessive oil leak from the bottom backside of their vacuum pump on the head? Fixed a coolant line back there two weeks ago and found that my largest oil leak was the vacuum pump, the bottom back of the three mounting bolts was hand tight. When I put everything back together I torqued all three to spec (IIRC 9nm or ft-lbs, had the manual in front of me at the time). Now the leak I have coming from there is at least twice as large.

Not so much asking how to resolve this as I'll just pull the pump again and either replace the gasket a third time if tightening them a touch further doesn't resolve it, or add some of that great make a seal copper shit that works great on most things. Just curious if anyone else has had a decent leak from here or not. Doesn't appear to be at the cam cradle to head seal as I did that at the beginning of the summer and can see that the joint is oil less when the vacuum pump is off

dead_catz

Ready to race!
I can get pictures at some point this weekend. But has anyone had an excessive oil leak from the bottom backside of their vacuum pump on the head? Fixed a coolant line back there two weeks ago and found that my largest oil leak was the vacuum pump, the bottom back of the three mounting bolts was hand tight. When I put everything back together I torqued all three to spec (IIRC 9nm or ft-lbs, had the manual in front of me at the time). Now the leak I have coming from there is at least twice as large.

Not so much asking how to resolve this as I'll just pull the pump again and either replace the gasket a third time if tightening them a touch further doesn't resolve it, or add some of that great make a seal copper shit that works great on most things. Just curious if anyone else has had a decent leak from here or not. Doesn't appear to be at the cam cradle to head seal as I did that at the beginning of the summer and can see that the joint is oil less when the vacuum pump is off

huge problem on the mkv2.5l,my sister had the issue, some knuckle head shop replaced the gasket, then used assloads of rtv and it still leaked. I just put a new vacuum pump from ecs and tightened it pretty good. residual leaked for a while but it eventually stopped and has been working great for a year.
I would do gasket first though and not use rtv

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Great thanks guys. I replaced the pump itself about two years ago when chasing my broken exhaust gasket stud that broke that gasket before I knew what it was.

I'll have to replace the gasket itself again and crank it in there to see if that stops it!