GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a second car - Mazda Speed3

EP87

Bought the 2012 MK6 GTI DSG Nav+Sunroof back in May mainly has a replacement for my wifes car she would drive it backand forth to work and I'd drive on our days off. We had been considering several cars mainly the GTI, WRX or STI, Mazda speed3, or 2013 5.0 Mustang GT. Price was not to much of a consideration but after may test drives and making comparisions we choose the GTI it just checked all the boxs. Sportly, well built, etc etc. Ended up paying just under 29k. and don't get me wrong we still love the thing and its living up to our expectations. Out of the Blue my daily driver a 96 Mustang GT I've owned since new with about 112k on it started giving me a few problems, So just for fun I listed in craigslist at a price well beyond what I thought I'd ever get out of it. No calls for 7 days and I guy calls all hot out of the blue wanting to see the car. So hot that he calls me a about 7:30 one morning and wanting to see the car. I work nights and explain just got home need to get some sleep call back after 2pm and I'd be glad to show him the car. about 10AM the guy calls again all hot to see the car. I said what the heck come on over I'll drag my butt out of bed. luckly it had been my last night working and I had the next 3 days of. So the guy shows up we go for a test drive and he offers me $200 less cash then my most likely 3k over priced car, as you can imagine I jumped on it. Suddenly I'm with out a car so I go back to my list. considered getting another GTI or even an R but that would have beeen just to weird. The WRX or STI I was never really that impressed with for the price and the Mustang I wanted would have been nearly 42-45K. So I get on the web for the local mazda dealer and they have 2 new 2012 speed3 priced at between 2-3K lower then I thought I could ever buy one for when we where looking back in May so I ran over to the dealer ship the same day and walked out with a pretty well equiped speed3 for just under 22k. not bad for a daily driver.

Now don't get me wrong given the choice I'd jump in the GTI before the 3, but under 22k for a second car that is just a tad faster then the GTI but not nearly the quality is not to bad. And to boot its a fun little car to drive.

I guess theres really no point to my story other then you never know when some sucker going to come throw a wade of cash at you for a car that you never expected to get that much for.

Richard

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I was searching for a Speed 3 prior to purchasing my GTI. There wasn't many to be had at the time in South Florida. They are fun cars to drive! Congrats.

Last edited:

EP87

Thanks Guys It's kinda cool not minding if the GTI gone and I have to settle for speed3, its quite the little pocket rocket pocket rocket for the price.

Funny thing is like any good car guy I visited the speed 3 forum. What a bunch of Ass holes, mentioned I also owned a MK6 got flammed. they are way scared that with a well placed mod's they'll get smoked and for some reason quality, refinement, fit and finish have nothing to do with a car.

I beleave I'm not well liked there. they can't seam to grasp that there's some people that just like cars.

Richard

MOD & Tim S. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Met a speed 3 guy at the qt one day... let him sit in my GTI and he was sooo pissed over the difference in quality "feel" of the car.

That said he was a cool dude and fun to talk to. Got a lot of respect for the MS3.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
While the GTI interior is much better, the power of the MS3 and the space is incredible. I've said for several years now, if they would have just put AWD in there and charged another $2-3K, Subaru would have really been in trouble .

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
While the GTI interior is much better, the power of the MS3 and the space is incredible. I've said for several years now, if they would have just put AWD in there and charged another $2-3K, Subaru would have really been in trouble .

Agreed. I test drove a MS3 before buying the GTI. GTI won because I spend so much of my life on the road on track for almost 25K miles in first year of ownership of this car.

I just didn't like the layout and feel of the MS3 interior. Nor the gas mileage on the window sticker.

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
I owned an 08 Speed3 and loved the power but torque steer was abundant! It also could never hold a candle to the GTI's interior.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Congrats :). I like the speed three, if it could be had with a twin clutch it would be on the short list to replace my TDI. The speed3's life may be ending soon also, I keep hearing that it will not be replaced when the next 3 comes out.

EP87

I owned an 08 Speed3 and loved the power but torque steer was abundant! It also could never hold a candle to the GTI's interior.

Torque steer thats for sure. I'm just starting to get used to it.

Richard

EP87

Congrats :). I like the speed three, if it could be had with a twin clutch it would be on the short list to replace my TDI. The speed3's life may be ending soon also, I keep hearing that it will not be replaced when the next 3 comes out.

Yes I would have loved to get it with a DSG type trans if they offered it.

But for now the GTI gets the garage. and the 3 lives in the driveway.LOL

Richard