GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

brake booster vacuum pump

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
anyone replace this part for fun? the one in my mk6 is kinda leaking or used to leak... I am thinking about replacing it (just because it leaked in the past).

1667783506802.png

GolNat

Autocross Champion
How do you know it’s kinda leaking? If it’s not broke then don’t fix it.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
How do you know it’s kinda leaking? If it’s not broke then don’t fix it.
there's oil residue sweat around the pump, I will take pictures.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion

Andrew429

Ready to race!
Mine actually failed a couple years ago while driving and lost all brakes, thankfully it was as I was pulling out of the neighborhood on a quiet street, had to use the e-brake to stop from 45mph. It was a complete failure though, the flapper that spins on the inside broke so it was no longer generating vacuum.

There is a vacuum pump gasket, and I would recommend changing the HPFP o-ring if you have to take it off to change the vacuum pump gasket.

Last edited:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
well I ended up buying a NEW Pierburg vacuum pump and Elring gasket to install.
Found it for cheaper on eBay. Here's the link

I will get this installed very soon. I'm thinking of replacing the HPFP at the same time.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 40

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I ended up replacing the brake booster vacuum pump, LPFP, and HPFP. All three pumps replaced. Pulls feel slightly different.

The old LPFP looks really bad, the HPFP, hard to tell... the vacuum pump did leak and looks very old and worn.

Next up, figure out a way to replace the fuse box, the previous fuse burnt the F16 slot, it's fine for now but eventually needs to be replaced. I suspect the fog lights, removed the fog lights completely. So far so good. The NEW fuse (30A) has not burnt up or blown... hope not.

I will find a new fuse box. Up next on the list.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I ended up replacing the brake booster vacuum pump, LPFP, and HPFP. All three pumps replaced. Pulls feel slightly different.

The old LPFP looks really bad, the HPFP, hard to tell... the vacuum pump did leak and looks very old and worn.

Next up, figure out a way to replace the fuse box, the previous fuse burnt the F16 slot, it's fine for now but eventually needs to be replaced. I suspect the fog lights, removed the fog lights completely. So far so good. The NEW fuse (30A) has not burnt up or blown... hope not.

I will find a new fuse box. Up next on the list.
How long and involved was the install? Where were you noticing oil leaking? My brakes feel like trash on occasion. Might just need to bleed the system at a dealer/VW shop instead of a regular garage though.

Edit: Also were you experiencing shitty braking prior to this? Any indication the pump was failing? I see a lot of MKV FSI installs, but none on the TSI unfortunately.

Last edited:

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
How long and involved was the install? Where were you noticing oil leaking? My brakes feel like trash on occasion. Might just need to bleed the system at a dealer/VW shop instead of a regular garage though.

Edit: Also were you experiencing shitty braking prior to this? Any indication the pump was failing? I see a lot of MKV FSI installs, but none on the TSI unfortunately.
It was all replaced at a VW/Audi specialized shop, I insisted on replacing the HPFP and LPFP, since the vacuum pump is part of the HPFP (or the other way around), I think it took the shop 1.5 hours, to replace all three pumps.

No, my brakes are really good. brake pedal feel is 10/10, ever since I upgraded to slotted and drilled rotors, and replaced the brake pads.

The brake vacuum pump leaked in the past, there was brake fluid residue on the old brake pump, so I wanted it replaced. The shop kept saying don't do it, it stopped leaking... I didn't want to take chances.
So I bought the Pierburg pump via eBay and brought it to the shop, AND asked for them to source the HPFP, since it's right next to the vacuum brake booster pump, AND to get me a brand new LPFP, since these fuel pumps are known to fail.

Now I am monitoring how the car engine turns over during cold starts. No big differences, but the car PULLS harder than before... nothing crazy but very noticeable.
I'm the second owner of my GTI, so the previous owner did not replace ANY of these pumps, so I took responsibility and got it done at a VW/Audi shop.

At some point in time, ALL the parts will be upgraded or replaced until there is NOTHING left to upgrade or replace. Yes, a money pit, but I want to keep this mk6 GTI for a looooong time.

I would flush the brake fluid system FIRST. Before you replace the brake booster vac pump.
I was told to flush the brake fluid system once a year, if possible, as air will fill up in the brake lines no matter how little you drive the car... I don't know how much of this is true....

EDIT: I've done about 4 brake fluid flush and refill so far. which is probably why the brake pedal is 10/10 and of course brakes have been replaced twice already.