GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a Stage 2 GTI without tune - Safe to drive?

rtnlsltn

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm buying an 2010 with intake and 3" turbo back (DP+exhaust). The owner did not tune it after adding the exhaust. The car was a garage queen, more or less, and he hadn't gotten around to it. I need to drive 600 miles to get it home. Am I safe, or should I try to line up a tune when I pick it up? I'm flying a few states away to grab it.

Last edited:

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Its not a stage 2 GT then, its stock GTI with a turbo back exhaust.

But its safe to drive without a tune.

It's usually advised not to buy a tuned/modded car.

rtnlsltn

Passed Driver's Ed
It's fine to drive, It just won't be performing like it should and may bog down if you get on it.

That's what I figured. I'll just go easy on it until I tune it the following week. Thanks!

Its not a stage 2 GT then, its stock GTI with a turbo back exhaust.

But its safe to drive without a tune.

It's usually advised not to buy a tuned/modded car.

Gee thanks for the advice, grandpa Dan.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Intake and dp will be fine. Drove my car like that for 2 years no tune. Just funner sounds. 100% good to go. Just may get p0420 cel, but its just the dp cat.

Sent from phone Tapa

Gino

Ready to race!
You'll be fine. May throw CEL, but won't affect performance. I drove with an intake and turbo back exhaust for 4 months so issue. I was able to defeat the CEL with a J-spacer. I recommend you get a tune to really enjoy the car. Honestly don't see the issue in buying a modded car. If it was maintained well it should be a fine buy. Just saying... I would buy modded :p

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I ran my car with downpipe and no tune for awhile. its no biggie.

FriggenT1

Banned
That's what I figured. I'll just go easy on it until I tune it the following week. Thanks!

Gee thanks for the advice, grandpa Dan.

Don't get all butthurt...stage 2 is stage 2...the only thing that really determines that is the tune itself, otherwise it's just modded.

CHerna

Ready to race!
Your turbo will spin it's little wheel to 1,000,000 RPM and blow up.

I kid. You'll be fine.

I drove my MK4 with a 3" catless turbo back, CAI, TSI coil packs for months with no issues. If anything, it ran a little lean.