GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

C.A.R.B. Compliant Turbo Back Exhaust?

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
I have a new 2012 GTI. I've done quite a bit of reading on this forum and VWVortex before joining to keep the stupid questions to a minimum, but hey, no guarantees!

I live here in the desert in California. California has highs (great weather) and lows, which include, but are not limited to, the California Air Resources Board.

I'm not philosophically opposed to clean air.....we really do need to keep that dude in the 76' Monaco with a 440 with bad rings from polluting as much in one drive as the next 20,000 drivers on the freeway.

However, you do need to research and think before modding your car. The first required smog test for a California Mark VI won't be until sometime in 2013 (4 year exemption) so maybe this is a Mark V question. "Catless" downpipes aren't going to work in this state. Does anybody know of a turbo back exhaust that is C.A.R.B. compliant out of the box? I'm not interested in digging my stock exhaust up and re-installing it to pass emissions in four years. If nobody makes one, maybe they should? (APR, lotta drivers in CA!)

I've looked around and haven't found an answer to this question. Thanks for any input!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I believe its 6 years... so it will be a long time before the first smog check.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Nope - as with most things were the government is involved getting C.A.R.B. approval costs a fortune so tuners do not want to take on the cost/risk as it is unlikily they they could pass on the costs to make a profit. Most consumers are not willing to pay up. The only C.A.R.B. approved item I am aware of is the intake that Neuspeed offers for our cars. $300 and it is only the equivilent of what other tuners call a stage I intake. Modding a car in CA is a bitch without running afoul with the law. I know from have lived most of my life there. AZ id not much better.

http://www.neuspeed.com/243/11/0/1491/651091-neuspeed-p-flo-air-intake-kit.html

dav1d

Ready to race!
It's six years if you retain ownership. If you sell it, you have to get it smogged to transfer title after 4 years....

I heard used cars need smog checks every other year unless you buy a used car that was leased (because you will be the first owner, dealer still owns a leased vehicle). Is this true?
If so, does that apply to a CPO fleet vehicle?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I heard used cars need smog checks every other year unless you buy a used car that was leased (because you will be the first owner, dealer still owns a leased vehicle). Is this true?
If so, does that apply to a CPO fleet vehicle?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2539

It has nothing to do with CPO or dealer owned or now. Its all about model year.

When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner .