GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

C&D Best-Handling Cars in America

snofrandy

Ready to race!
So quickly glancing at the intro of the article, "Then we had a lively boardroom vetting process to choose from our favorites--10Best winners, comparo champs--making sure we had representatives from all of the major driveline configurations."

Re: GTI
"We voted in the GTI as our favorite front-drive car..."

So going back few issues, I remember the GTI pitted against MS3. In terms of performance (acceleration excluded), it's as good as MS3. But GTI was still number one overall mainly because of better quality interior and seats. Reason why MS3 wasn't picked. As for the Mini, don't know. But one of the highest points for GTI was Ride and Ergonomics, which probably played a factor.

Biff

Ready to race!
The 911 ("Carrera") also has lift throttle over-steer traits that are downright dangerous in the hand of a novice.

Car and Driver has repeatedly noted that the Boxster/Cayman chassis (featuring a mid engine layout) is superior to the 911's (rear engine layout).

The term "handling" connotes a lot more than what most people are willing to consider.

In my view, the Porsche Cayman S is the best handling car for less than $100K.

Trailing throttle oversteer is really a non issue in a modern Porsche. I agree that the Cayman is the best handler though.

Biff

Ready to race!
So quickly glancing at the intro of the article, "Then we had a lively boardroom vetting process to choose from our favorites--10Best winners, comparo champs--making sure we had representatives from all of the major driveline configurations."

Re: GTI
"We voted in the GTI as our favorite front-drive car..."

So going back few issues, I remember the GTI pitted against MS3. In terms of performance (acceleration excluded), it's as good as MS3. But GTI was still number one overall mainly because of better quality interior and seats. Reason why MS3 wasn't picked. As for the Mini, don't know. But one of the highest points for GTI was Ride and Ergonomics, which probably played a factor.
MS3 has difficult to handle torque steer.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
MS3 has difficult to handle torque steer.

Which is why it doesnt produce max power in 1st, 2nd or even 3rd gear. I test drove both and the ms3 didnt feel any faster at all. Maybe on the highway... but I am not a street racer so that really has no benefit to me what so ever.

falconeight1

Ready to race!
I owned a Mazdaspeed 3 for five whole days.

It was a crap wagon.

I averaged less than 19 MPG with it, the car spewed filthy exhaust, the seats were HORRID, the optional bLose stereo sounded like a $40 Walmart boom-box and my right knee hit the center stack regardless of what I did.

The brakes seemed a little stronger than the GTI's, though, I thought the car handled reasonably well (needed wider rims, though), it had more traction (limited slip front diff) and it was DEFINITELY quicker and faster than the GTI.

To your point, the GTI is a without question the superior car of the two - despite the fact that it's slower. I just wish they'd fix this leaking rear window washer stuff and do something about the poor dealership staffing and knowledge base.

I bought mine from a Chevy dealership/VW and they knew nothing about the car.

McG

Ariel Atom...although it is admittedly a niche car. The Spyder is barely more usable, though.

I've driven a number of these on the track, including the Atom...and it is in a class of its own.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
The reason that some of the cars mentioned above were and were not included in this test is this; they chose what they thought was the best handling cars from a number of different categories.

Front engine, front wheel drive = GTI
Front engine, rear wheel drive = 'Vette, RX-8, M3
Front engine, awd = Nissan GTR
Mid engine, rwd = Lotus & Boxster

There was a 100,000 limit on the price of the cars as well.

This test was a test of handling feel, not raw numbers. Someone mentioned a MS3 can slalom faster then a GTI. This test was about feel, pleasure to drive and ease of driving at the limit. The raw numbers the cars performed was not a factor in the rating and review in this particular article. For example, the new Viper can pull something insane like 1.1g's on the skidpad, but once you exceed its limit, it will spin wildly out of control, and is therefore not a good handling car even though it can post higher numbers on the skidpad than any other street car.

I have driven the GTI, RX-8, Vette and M3 on the same track, and I can tell you that the GTI is just as fun to drive as the others. The GTI does handle very well and is very fun to toss around on the track. The Vette is scary at the limit. The RX-8 is a real pleasure and super easy to drive at the limit, and the M3 is nice but actually kind of boring because of excessive understeer.