GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car Battery Help

tzd

Ready to race!
I have a 2010 Golf 2.5L. Left the headlights on overnight and now the battery is dead. I tried jump starting it, but nothing happens.

I figured I should probably replace the battery since it is already 4.5 years old.

Two questions:

1. Is there any preferred brand/model of battery I should get? My local Pep Boys is selling a Bosch battery, is that okay?

2. After installing the battery, is there anything specific I need to do? I've seen some posts before talking about having to use VAGCOM to reset some settings after disconnecting the battery, but I can't find the specific details.

Thanks for any help.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I like Interstate batteries, but that's just a personal pref.

atikovi

Ready to race!
I'd take Bosch over Interstate any day and if for nothing more than that it's a German brand going into a German car.

finklejag

Ready to race!
Bosch might be a German brand, but the Bosch batteries here are made by one of the few US auto battery companies. I would stay away from Exide. That is all.

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
Interstate Batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls.
Johnson Controls makes the best standard replacement batteries on the market today.
Johnson Controls also make Auto Zone's Dura Last, & Costco's Kirkland car batteries.
Costco now seems to be fazing out the Kirkland label in favor of selling batteries under the Interstate brand name. Costco is a great place to buy an Interstate battery.

I'd purchase OEM, or Interstate, if they make one that fits.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Last week, I swapped out the old stock battery for a MaxxStart H5 from Walmart. It is 9lbs lighter than the old one BTW. As for replacing it with another stock battery (from VW).....why?

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
Last week, I swapped out the old stock battery for a MaxxStart H5 from Walmart. As for replacing it for a new stock battery (from VW).....why?

I don't know who makes the OEM battery. I've found them to be long lasting.
It lasted 8 or 9 years in the 2004 Mk4 GTI,
& a very long time in my daughter's Jetta.
My daughter starts her car with the A/C & other accessories on.

tzd

Ready to race!
The OEM battery is Varta.

Thanks for all the inputs. I ended up calling AAA to replace the battery. When I did the price quote online for AAA, the website told me the battery would cost $110 before taxes, but including installation and disposal fees. Not a bad deal when I compared to what other batteries cost. So I called them. But when they came, the guy told me the battery costs $143, disposal $7, and I ended up paying $163.59 including taxes.

Oh well, at least my car is working again, after 4 days sitting dead. Just putting this up here as heads up on what AAA does, in case anyone ends up in my situation.

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
Ok. According to Varta's website,
the automotive battery unit was sold to Johnson Controls in 2002. :thumbsup:

Johnson Controls Power Solutions also makes MotorCraft Batteries.

Sleeping Forest1

Ready to race!
just did OEM swap at dealer, they usually have a special. $120 after tax with 5year warrenty, compared to autozone etc that was around $150 with with 3year

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
just did OEM swap at dealer, they usually have a special. $120 after tax with 5year warrenty, compared to autozone etc that was around $150 with with 3year

That battery DOES NOT have a 5yr warranty. Someone lied to you.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
I don't know who makes the OEM battery. I've found them to be long lasting.
It lasted 8 or 9 years in the 2004 Mk4 GTI,
& a very long time in my daughter's Jetta.
My daughter starts her car with the A/C & other accessories on.

I agree. I changed out my Mk4's battery after 7 years just because I thought that was long enough. It was still cranking strong when I replaced it.

Re your daughter, the car disables AC and lights and radio, etc, during start up to conserve dem volts/amps for the starter.

Shore GTI

Ready to race!
I agree. I changed out my Mk4's battery after 7 years just because I thought that was long enough. It was still cranking strong when I replaced it.

Re your daughter, the car disables AC and lights and radio, etc, during start up to conserve dem volts/amps for the starter.

Oh. That's good. At least the car saves her from herself. :thumbsup: