GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Change rear brake discs without removing the caliper holder

CrushedTomato

Car(s)
Vw golf SC -15
I will help a friend change the rear brake discs on his VW Golf MK7 (2015). Does anyone here know if I need the special XZN socket (T10035) to remove the caliper holder, or if it's possible to remove the disc without removing the holder? I don't have the car near me at the moment, so I have no possibility to check beforehand (and also if I need to order new multi-point socket head bolts since they are one-time use).

I have seen on this forum that it's possible with the larger disc sizes. However, I'm not sure if it works with the 272 mm disc size (PR code 1KE).

Hope someone has an answer and thanks for a great forum!

CrushedTomato

Car(s)
Vw golf SC -15
You'd have to remove the carrier to get the rotor off. It's just a standard m14 triple square, no need to waste money on VW's tool.
oh well.. I was happy when I read that you didn't have to, just a shame it's the wrong car 😅 Sounds good, will look into the m14 triple square. Is it difficult to remove the bolts, any tips to make it easier?

CrushedTomato

Car(s)
Vw golf SC -15
I dunno, some people seem to struggle with them but I've done a bunch of brake jobs and never had an issue. Most likely the people having issues are using the wrong ratchet. Long handle flex head ratchet makes it easy.
Great, thank you!

CrushedTomato

Car(s)
Vw golf SC -15
I dunno, some people seem to struggle with them but I've done a bunch of brake jobs and never had an issue. Most likely the people having issues are using the wrong ratchet. Long handle flex head ratchet makes it easy.

I got another question that you may have an answer to. Since I will do rear brakes and bleed them (change all brake fluid) at the same time, will the bleeding be faulty or something since VW recommend front left, front right, etc.. ?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I got another question that you may have an answer to. Since I will do rear brakes and bleed them (change all brake fluid) at the same time, will the bleeding be faulty or something since VW recommend front left, front right, etc.. ?
No it's fine...that's why they recommend it! I've done it both ways...back to front/front to back with no discernable difference.

CrushedTomato

Car(s)
Vw golf SC -15
No it's fine...that's why they recommend it! I've done it both ways...back to front/front to back with no discernable difference.
Great to hear, thank you!

Since I need to change the caliper also (stuck piston..). Do you usually engage the (new) brake caliper motor in VCDS before or after you bleed?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Great to hear, thank you!

Since I need to change the caliper also (stuck piston..). Do you usually engage the (new) brake caliper motor in VCDS before or after you bleed?
you have to start the brake pad lining change mode before attempting to change pads. if you're just bleeding that's independent of pad changes (but if you're doing both, do it after the pads).

CrushedTomato

Car(s)
Vw golf SC -15
you have to start the brake pad lining change mode before attempting to change pads. if you're just bleeding that's independent of pad changes (but if you're doing both, do it after the pads).
Yeah I know, maybe i was unclear. I will change pads, dics and calipers. I start by lining change mode, then I replace the pads, dics and calipers. When they are replaced, should I end lining change mode (via VCDS) before or after the bleeding?

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Yeah I know, maybe i was unclear. I will change pads, dics and calipers. I start by lining change mode, then I replace the pads, dics and calipers. When they are replaced, should I end lining change mode (via VCDS) before or after the bleeding?
i'd do it before, at that point you've pushed the pistons back which is when they should be bled anyway.

CrushedTomato

Car(s)
Vw golf SC -15
Sounds good, thanks for the help! I will then do the bleeding after finnish the lining mode.
Do you use brake pedal depressor (or something similar) to depress the pedal a bit to prevent leakage? Seems that the vw manual use a depressor: Vw brake manual.
Or is it better to just unscrew the brake hose from the caliper directly?