GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat15: Sushi Now Made With Real Tuna - Not That Fast Food Tuna - Jaber Rejoices

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgarcia1925

Go Kart Champion
Well... Official verdict is in: crankshaft broke :(

All brand new parts... Carillo rods, JE pistons, factory new 3.6L crank that had been magnafluxed prior to installation just to be sure it was good.... crank still broke.

M96/7 motors always have a ???? over their heads. Even with the "best of everything".

Time to take a slightly different path with the car.

Moo 350 R? :)

Sent from my distraction device

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Moo 350 R? :)

Sent from my distraction device

No. Considered it. Looked at a lot of different options. Moo 350R, 996 GT3, another Cayman (found a Cayman R out in NJ I was considering)... was a hectic couple days pouring through the various sales sites, Rennlist, Planet-9, etc. The shop itself had another car we could have "traded" for... Gen-2 car, actually more factory options than mine (previous owner had a REALLY nice car, no idea why he hacked it up into a track car... leather-wrapped dash, door panels, vent pods)... BUT no man pedal, it's a PDK car. We talked about doing a man pedal swap and were actually going to go that route until we realized (Saturday morning) the car would have a "rebuilt" title. So that car's gonna stay as one of their shop cars/rentals and eventually just get converted to a race car and sold that way (where a rebuilt or even salvage title doesn't matter).

In the end, I've got some time and money sunk into the current car that will be tough to get back out, even if I part it. So does the shop. We both want to see it work. In the end, the shop wants to make it right, including a refund if that's ultimately what I want. But I think we have a plan for the current car that will keep things on the right side for all of us involved. I'm actually pretty excited - we're getting back to what I was really looking for when I first started searching. :)

RoyB1

Go Kart Champion
Would had gone with machined/aluminum but not many options in that style.

Any "colors" looks terrible on the gray imo. Gunmetal or grey would clash too much. Plain silver is too plain. I just gave up and went with black.

2016-08-29_09-04-25 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

2016-08-29_09-06-39 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

I think a slight tint will pull it all together nicely. Lot of black accents on the car so it doesn't look terrible, but whatever. Everyone can view my tail lights and tell me how those looks instead.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
I think it looks alright? :iono:

Generally not a fan of black wheels but there are some combos where it's not bad.

I'd hit it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
No. Considered it. Looked at a lot of different options. Moo 350R, 996 GT3, another Cayman (found a Cayman R out in NJ I was considering)... was a hectic couple days pouring through the various sales sites, Rennlist, Planet-9, etc. The shop itself had another car we could have "traded" for... Gen-2 car, actually more factory options than mine (previous owner had a REALLY nice car, no idea why he hacked it up into a track car... leather-wrapped dash, door panels, vent pods)... BUT no man pedal, it's a PDK car. We talked about doing a man pedal swap and were actually going to go that route until we realized (Saturday morning) the car would have a "rebuilt" title. So that car's gonna stay as one of their shop cars/rentals and eventually just get converted to a race car and sold that way (where a rebuilt or even salvage title doesn't matter).

In the end, I've got some time and money sunk into the current car that will be tough to get back out, even if I part it. So does the shop. We both want to see it work. In the end, the shop wants to make it right, including a refund if that's ultimately what I want. But I think we have a plan for the current car that will keep things on the right side for all of us involved. I'm actually pretty excited - we're getting back to what I was really looking for when I first started searching. :)

So what does this "different direction/future plans entail?

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
So what does this "different direction/future plans entail?

I think we're likely going to go with a 9A1 swap (newer DFI motor, the 3.4L used in the current cars). Substantially improved in both reliability and power... with a tune, full exhaust should make pretty damned close to the same HP numbers as my 4.0 did (just with less torque, unfortunately). The M9x motors just aren't trustworthy.

While it's down we're going to add in a full data acquisition system and maybe a few other little things. Car won't be back up and running until ~springtime, but they've offered use of one of their shop cars so I don't miss any more events. :D Autocrossing with a PDK racecar oughta be interesting...

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Those of you who field tickets as part of your day-to-day (JIRA, SalesForce, etc.)... do you occasionally take their name and drop it into Facebook to find out if the requestor looks as stupid as they seem to be?

So far I think I'm batting 1000...

Jaber

Modero
Those of you who field tickets as part of your day-to-day (JIRA, SalesForce, etc.)... do you occasionally take their name and drop it into Facebook to find out if the requestor looks as stupid as they seem to be?

So far I think I'm batting 1000...

I get the joy of seeing them in person :lol: :(

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
What's for lunch?

Subway. It was close on the way back from class. And parking this morning was a nightmare since it's the first week everyone gets to class like 3 hours early. Smh. I like getting to school 15 minutes early. Took 45 minutes to park today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
hyperblack, mangRoy. whoa, are those 19s?

Status
Not open for further replies.