GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chipped GTI vs. Golf R

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It is, guaranteed. Go find an R32 to test drive and feel the difference between that and the GTI. Now imagine an AWD system about 5 times as good :thumbsup:

I did and easily chose the GTI - hands down. The R32 felt sluggish after the low end (test drive only), the DSG was clunky, and it felt heavy for a 2dr car. It also gets much less MPG for what I'd be using it for. So the ease of modifying the GTI as well as the significantly better MPG and the manual trans option, made it a no brainer to choose a 2011 GTI over a certified '08 R32.

If this new AWD is that much better, and the turbo is a nice addition, then perhaps the extra premium is worth it this time around for the R. (I'm guessing it is)

Mevo

I still go R20 even if the GTi goes faster with whatever stage.
It really all depdend what are you planning to do with the car and it is probably why VW release 2 differents cars.

I went GTi for the old lady because it handles well and it is fast enough for her to get to the grocery store safely...

turbor850

Ready to race!
I would like to see the R against a GTI with the haldex upgraded controller installed and switched to RWD. It would probably walk the chipped GTI. Everyday I wake up wishing my Stage 3 Mk6 GTI was RWD

So a RWD car is going to be faster then a AWD/FWD car because of the drivetrain loss going through the driveshaft to the back will be better ?:confused:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
So a RWD car is going to be faster then a AWD/FWD car because of the drivetrain loss going through the driveshaft to the back will be better ?:confused:

RWD is usually the most desirable for tracking/handling concerns.

RWD or FWD will have less drivetrain loss compared to AWD.

That being said, for many hardcore enthusiasts/track addicts, RWD would be their most desirable platform compared to AWD, for both power and handling.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
RWD is usually the most desirable for tracking/handling concerns.

RWD or FWD will have less drivetrain loss compared to AWD.

That being said, for many hardcore enthusiasts/track addicts, RWD would be their most desirable platform compared to AWD, for both power and handling.

^^^exactly, plus you cant do a burn out with awd:bellyroll: