GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutchmasters FX400 8 Puck with Single Mass Flywheel Initial Review

marslee

Ready to race!
this is very helpful article for me, because I just found out my clutch is kind of slip. I'm looking for a new clutch kit right now, I thought there is only one brand (South Bend)
I have to double check the clutch condition first, so this is very helpful for me.

Thank you Bender.

allset

Go Kart Champion
bender,

When u wind down in a gear, 1st ,2nd, etc do u hear chatter?

Bender1

Banned
Do revs drop any more quickly? That is actually the main reason I'd want to do a clutch upgrade - getting the speed of rev drop between shifts to be more like it is with the AC on.

I suspect the answer to this question is "yes." I say it like that as I am driving it too easy right now to really answer this.

This will be addressed in the 1,000 mile review.

Jeff43

Ready to race!
Nice write up; thorough details and explanations! :thumbsup:

Cautiously optimistic that there may finally be a reliable clutch solution for these cars.

speed4568

Ready to race!
anyone runing the FX300 on the forum? thinking about that for stage 2

crew219

Banned
Cautiously optimistic that there may finally be a reliable clutch solution for these cars.

I doubt you could say that.

All the clutch manufacturers source their flywheels, pressure plates, disc linings and disk hubs from the same places. From the pictures I've seen, the CM looks just like my original SB non-silent disk. It has the same non-wobble spline shaft holder which indicates that it would be susceptible to the same failure as all the other SB kits.

I tried looking for a photo I took of a pile of parts from my friend's house. With 160k on his GTI and plenty of auto-x and track time, he has gone through 1x spec clutch for factory FW, 2x CM clutches (I think they were FX200 & 300), 1x SB clutch and is now back on a factory clutch which has not failed him. All of the kits failed due to mechanical reasons such as springs popping out, or the pressure plate failing.

Dave

GTIProject

Ready to race!
CM has always made very good stuff. I am dreading the day I need to do a clutch upgrade, mainly because I want to spend the money once and not have to worry about pulling everything apart twice.

Subbed. :thumbup:

SVTunit

Ready to race!
I am in the exact same boat! I am going to K04 on Wed. and I'm sure my stock clutch won't last very long after that. Trying to figure out what the best solution is because I don't want to pay for a clutch more than once.
Andreas

CM has always made very good stuff. I am dreading the day I need to do a clutch upgrade, mainly because I want to spend the money once and not have to worry about pulling everything apart twice.

Subbed. :thumbup:

zhijjawi10

Go Kart Champion
Bender, over the next few thousand miles your clutch will get louder in all situations. I couldn't barely hear any chatter at first, then 2000 miles later the thing was noisy as hell. Especially idle chatter and the deceleration grinding noise. It'll show it's face soon enough :) you are reviewing this clutch completely different than I would. I don't want people to think this is a good DD clutch because it's not. It's good for the track. But it also is probably the best DD out of our clutch options :/ sad.

Bender1

Banned
Bender, over the next few thousand miles your clutch will get louder in all situations. I couldn't barely hear any chatter at first, then 2000 miles later the thing was noisy as hell. Especially idle chatter and the deceleration grinding noise. It'll show it's face soon enough :) you are reviewing this clutch completely different than I would. I don't want people to think this is a good DD clutch because it's not. It's good for the track. But it also is probably the best DD out of our clutch options :/ sad.

Though I understand where you are coming from, I respectfully disagree.

First - did you have the 8 puck or the 6 puck? There is a significant difference in friction area with the 8 versus the 6.

If you read my previous posts you will see me saying I can hear chatter when the AC is on and I am at idle. Additionally, you will see me say that there is deceleration whine (I don't have a grinding noise). If anything, sitting at about 200 miles and this clutch has gotten quieter.

You just say yourself that its the best DD out of our clutch options and good for the track - thats exactly what I am looking for. I don't think anyone putting this in expects it to be stock, and if anyone does that is their own problem. I have found over the past two days that it is a fine DD clutch and I can't wait till I have the opportunity to push it harder.

The only review I can write is one of my experience, maybe it will change over time, maybe it won't. If it does, that will be up here. If it doesn't that will be here as well. It is entirely possible that we have the EXACT same experience but relate to it in a different way

I am not saying "stay out of this thread," because other experiences are valued. I am saying, perhaps, your own thread detailing your ownership history would be a more appropriate place.