GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB tuning?!

Fantom1107

Passed Driver's Ed
How important is having an authorized dealer near you for a tune and issues down the road? I've read a lot of this thread and am really leaning towards COBB, but there isn't much, if any support near me. I have an APR and Unitronic dealer within a couple miles. One of which will probably be doing my clutch install.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

TwistedTuning

Ready to race!
How important is having an authorized dealer near you for a tune and issues down the road? I've read a lot of this thread and am really leaning towards COBB, but there isn't much, if any support near me. I have an APR and Unitronic dealer within a couple miles. One of which will probably be doing my clutch install.

You don't really need a dealer near you with Cobb. Everything can be done via email or phone corespondence.

For tuning and any issues. It's going to all be about communication. And that doesn't mean the need of being right there with you.

Me personally, I have never met a problem that I could not figure out remotely.

Short of physically working on someone's car. It's not really necessary to be local.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Alright, I forgot to report back about the v103 stock maf tune cobb sent me. I never installed the v103 tune due to the issues others were having due to the stock maf. So this will be comparing the v102 with the v103 stock maf.

The power output is the same and both drive smoothly. The v102 tune gave me no better than .94 LTFT and as low as .83, while the v103 tune has given me no higher than 1.07 and no lower than .99. On v102 the worst knock retard I saw was -5.75, at which point I pulled over and turned off the car for a minute. I still get knock retard with the v103 file with the worst being -5.25, which has only occurred twice. Typically knock retard won't get worse than -3.25 and it goes away much quicker than before.

If there are any other numbers anyone would like to see let me know and I'll report back.

urbanevil

Ready to race!

sbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
But how are the off the shelf tunes. Are they decent? If I got an ap it would probably be a while before I got a custom tune. As well as the doing multiple pulls for logging on public road is a little risky.

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
But how are the off the shelf tunes. Are they decent? If I got an ap it would probably be a while before I got a custom tune. As well as the doing multiple pulls for logging on public road is a little risky.

The OTS tunes are a great first step for a while, but then again if you're looking for just an OTS tune and not touching it then what's the point of getting cobb! Freektune, Stratified, and Twisted are here for a reason!

Mikeshoie

No DP yet, I'm considering the AWE one because I have their CBE right now but I'd like the additional noise. I have no plans on going stage 2 because I'm not replacing my clutch, but I figured it might be possible to use the access port to get away with the CEL issue.

If you do pick up the awe dp, please let me m ow how it changes the sound vs the cat back alone. Looking to see if it will add more pops and burbble. Thanks

Natemk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Bumping an old thread but I just saw Cobb comment on one of their instagram posts saying that since mk7 Ap and hard parts are available that mk6 custom features are now their next priority!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
So i'm currently Cobb stage 2 OTS tune and I am getting mediocre gas mileage. I know people who go APR stage 2 or even K04 get same as stock or even 1-2 mpg better. I'm averaging about 3-4 mpg less than stock file and 90% of my driving is highway. Its not the end of the world but when you're losing 40 or so miles/tank its a bit annoying.

SirClimax

Ready to race!
So i'm currently Cobb stage 2 OTS tune and I am getting mediocre gas mileage. I know people who go APR stage 2 or even K04 get same as stock or even 1-2 mpg better. I'm averaging about 3-4 mpg less than stock file and 90% of my driving is highway. Its not the end of the world but when you're losing 40 or so miles/tank its a bit annoying.

I doubt it is the tunes fault but if you are worried about it you can always remove the tune, download the tune from cobbs website, reinstall it to the ap, and then reinstall it to the car. Otherwise it is likely either your right foot or some other issue not related to the tune.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I doubt it is the tunes fault but if you are worried about it you can always remove the tune, download the tune from cobbs website, reinstall it to the ap, and then reinstall it to the car. Otherwise it is likely either your right foot or some other issue not related to the tune.

This ^ Or take advantage of the fact that you bought the best custom tuning suite in the world and get a real tune haha

Fantom1107

Passed Driver's Ed
This ^ Or take advantage of the fact that you bought the best custom tuning suite in the world and get a real tune haha
Does anyone have experience with etunes on just stage 1? I saw the uni stage 2 vs protune video and thread, but haven't seen much on stage 1 only. Similar results being better than uni or Apr stage 1?

Edit: Nevermind. Found stratifieds blog on stage 1 and he shows significant gains over Cobb ots stage 1.

Last edited:

Fantom1107

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright, I forgot to report back about the v103 stock maf tune cobb sent me. I never installed the v103 tune due to the issues others were having due to the stock maf. So this will be comparing the v102 with the v103 stock maf.

The power output is the same and both drive smoothly. The v102 tune gave me no better than .94 LTFT and as low as .83, while the v103 tune has given me no higher than 1.07 and no lower than .99. On v102 the worst knock retard I saw was -5.75, at which point I pulled over and turned off the car for a minute. I still get knock retard with the v103 file with the worst being -5.25, which has only occurred twice. Typically knock retard won't get worse than -3.25 and it goes away much quicker than before.

If there are any other numbers anyone would like to see let me know and I'll report back.

So many questions...

With v103 it will work with the stock MAF, does this include the stock airbox? Or would I still need an upgraded intake with the stock MAF?