GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cold Start. Is this normal?

pixlgeek

Passed Driver's Ed
So first time diesel owner.

The car has around 5K miles on it and it is just starting to get colder outside.

Up until now (got the car in June) the car has started on the first crank. But it has been getting down to low 50s at night. In the late mornings I'll go to start the car and it will take 3 or 4 cranks over to get it started.

Is this normal and is it caused due to the temperature? That was my first inclination.

Thanks!

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Glow Plug:

That's a pic from an older model, but it's still the same light. On MKVI TDIs the Glow Plug indicator is on the top left, inside the Tachometer display.

Also OP, read up on the "Intercooler Icing" issues. Your conditions don't sound quite right for it, but anything is possible. At least know the signs so if it happens to you you know what to check.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302863

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
OR.......

Is this the infamous HPFP issue? Is hard starts an indication?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I feel that it is weather dependent. No issues until now....that's too much of a coincidental change for a fuel system to just go kapoots.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
^^Not a big TDI guy here, but i thought with the newer model TDI's there was no need to wait for glow plugs to warm, it was more instant than ever before?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Glow plugs warm faster than ever now; longest I've had to wait on my car was less than 2 seconds tops.

But you still gotta wait. ;)

D

Deleted member 110551

My TDI won't start until it's done glowplugging.
The diesel you're using could be sludging up due to the colder temperatures, first try a diesel treatment in your tank. I don't think your car should glowplug at all until it gets below 40.

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
Mine exhibits this behavior as well. I don't mind it cause I know cold starts are more difficult, however I don't want it to be HPFP problem on the other hand.