GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering a car other than GTI

c0wsp0ts

Passed Driver's Ed
why is your out the door price $3000 greater than the quote for the car? that's a lot of fees. i think my fees were just under $500US

7% tax + $290 "vehicle fee" + $7.5 "tire fee" + $190 "doc fee"+ $750 destination
it came to around $29,900

2010_GTI

2010 VW GTI 210hp vs 2010 Subaru WRX 265hp :thumbup:

Well, I alreally consider the new 2010 WRX AWD 265hp basic trim... It's a awesome bargain too for 2-3k more than a basic GTI ! The amazing power, the grippy handling and the hot AWD make this car a serious condender to the new GTI... I think, it's real comparo should be the Golf R concept to tell you the true, but the R20 is not available right now and the big beast Golf gone a cost fortune compare to the WRX 265hp ! The new WRX 265hp, it's another class of car for arround the same price... It's a elcheapo STi with almost the same power number's !

Subaru WRX 265hp... Freaking number ! :clap:
Test Results:
0-30 (sec): 1.9
0-45 (sec): 3.5
0-60 (sec): 5.1 (STi 4.7)
0-75 (sec): 7.8
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.6 @ 98.9 (STi 13.2@101.1)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.9
30-0 (ft): 27
60-0 (ft): 107
Braking Rating: Excellent
Slalom (mph): 68.8
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.88g (average tire)

Somebody here want to buy a nice candy white 2010 GTI 3drs with DSG ? :eek:

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
2010 VW GTI 210hp vs 2010 Subaru WRX 265hp :thumbup:

Well, I alreally consider the new 2010 WRX AWD 265hp basic trim... It's a awesome bargain too for 2-3k more than a basic GTI ! The amazing power, the grippy handling and the hot AWD make this car a serious condender to the new GTI... I think, it's real comparo should be the Golf R concept to tell you the true, but the R20 is not available right now and the big beast Golf gone a cost fortune compare to the WRX 265hp ! The new WRX 265hp, it's another class of car for arround the same price... It's a elcheapo STi with almost the same power number's !

Subaru WRX 265hp... Freaking number ! :clap:
Test Results:
0-30 (sec): 1.9
0-45 (sec): 3.5
0-60 (sec): 5.1 (STi 4.7)
0-75 (sec): 7.8
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.6 @ 98.9 (STi 13.2@101.1)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.9
30-0 (ft): 27
60-0 (ft): 107
Braking Rating: Excellent
Slalom (mph): 68.8
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.88g (average tire)

Somebody here want to buy a nice candy white 2010 GTI 3drs with DSG ? :eek:

The WRX has more performance but I certainly would not use the phrase "another class of car" regarding the Subaru WRX if you were trying to mean it in a positive manner. While I am a former WRX owner and still a fan, the WRX feels really damn cheap compared to the GTI in terms of build quality, interior, refinement, and ride quality.

The WRX comes STANDARD with a 4-speaker 80 watt single cd player, no audio controls on the steering wheel, no general information display, a 5-speed manual transmission, and that is it.

The GTI comes STANDARD with heated seats and mirrors, 8-speaker touchscrean 6-disk CD player, audio controls on the steering wheel, Bluetooth, several levels of traction control/XDS, 6-speed manual tranny (or DSG), and a standout interior.

The handling numbers for the two are essentially identical, if not in favor of the GTI. The GTI has a much sharper steering response as well and much flatter cornering. Braking is often a draw as well, depending on tire choice (as the GTI can come with all-seasons or high performance summer from the factory and the WRX only has the summer performance tires).

I have been looking at the new WRX for a while now and am still having a hard time paying so much for a good engine and AWD and NOTHING else. This is why I am also looking hard at the 2010 Mazdaspeed3, which is kind of a combination of different aspects of the GTI and WRX. The Mazdaspeed3 has a much nicer interior than the WRX. The MS3 has more power than the WRX and GTI. The MS3 has the FWD and the 6-speed tranny standard like GTI, except that the MS3 has a real mechanical LSD. The MS3 has a nice standard CD/stereo, though not as nice as the GTI. The MS3 has the audio controls on the steering wheel and the general information display that the WRX is lacking, like the GTI. The Mazdaspeed3 costs the same as the GTI to start and several thousands of $$$ less than the WRX.

The Mazdaspeed3 will be faster than the WRX once rolling, in everyday driving (ie, not from a dig and an abusive AWD launch), being faster than the GTI as well. The WRX will be able to put the power down better in less than ideal circumstances/inclement weather. The WRX will not have any torque-steer; neither will the GTI, but that is due to having over 70 ft/lbs and 63hp less than the Mazdaspeed3. The WRX will give the softest ride, not the most refined. The GTI will have the best ride quality. The Mazdaspeed3 will have the sharpest and most harsh/raw ride quality.

And no, I'm not sure what my point is at this time..........

Last edited:

s2kguy

Ready to race!
I have a nicely eqipped GTI 5 dr due to arrive this week(?). I noticed VW's lease special for a stripped 2 dr GTI is nada down, but $349/month for 36 mos. Both BMW 128 and MB C300 with Premium packages and auto can be leased for $379/mo for same time. (Audi A4 even less) but with about $5k upfront. I'm getting a bad case of ordering remorse about now. BMW or MB for only $30 a month more? Very tempting.

koolgreen

Ready to race!
leasing numbers are meaningless unless you look at the overall cost.

Geez, I can get a line of credit and pay 200 dollars per month but it would last 7 or eight years.

gotta look at the whole picture...

2010_GTI

PureDrive... You mention the new MS3 is faster versus the new WRX ? See some test my friend ! The MS3 is not even close compare to the WRX number and the GTI is the slowest one...

2010 Mazdaspeed:
0-60mph: 5.8
1/4 mile: 14.3

2010 WRX:
0-60mph: 5.1
1/4 mile: 13.6

2010 GTI:
0-60mph: 6.3
1/4 mile: 14.9

If you talk about the real '' BANG for the BUCK'S ''... The 2010 WRX is unbeatable for the price and don't mention resale value because WRX is up front again !

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
PureDrive... You mention the new MS3 is faster versus the new WRX ? See some test my friend ! The MS3 is not even close compare to the WRX number and the GTI is the slowest one...

2010 Mazdaspeed:
0-60mph: 5.8
1/4 mile: 14.3

2010 WRX:
0-60mph: 5.1
1/4 mile: 13.6

2010 GTI:
0-60mph: 6.3
1/4 mile: 14.9

If you talk about the real '' BANG for the BUCK'S ''... The 2010 WRX is unbeatable for the price !

You need to read a little more closely........

My exact quote from above is "The Mazdaspeed3 will be faster than the WRX once rolling, in everyday driving (ie, not from a dig and an abusive AWD launch)".............

You gave the same 0-60mph, abusive clutch dump, AWD launch number that I talked about in my post. You need to understand that the WRX, and really any AWD car, gets a huge boost in their performance numbers from being able to essentially redline the car, drop the clutch, and get no wheel spin, just putting the power down to the pavement and translating that into acceleration. IN REAL WORLD DRIVING, you don't do this with any vehicle.

Check out the tests where they do ecceleration tests once the car is rolling, such as from "20mph to 50mph" or "50mph to 80mph". The Mazdaspeed3 posts better times and is faster during those scenarios. This is what we all experience during our daily driving. Most buyers are not waiting at a stoplight or at a dragstrip tree, ready to launch the car into oblivion. On any kind of street driving situation, on a road course/race course, or in autox, the Mazdaspeed is faster once moving, as the FWD does not allow for as strong a launch as AWD and will have the tires trying to get traction in 1st gear. Once the Mazdaspeed gets traction, by 2nd gear, the car is faster than the WRX.

As well, AWD has more drivetrain loss than FWD or RWD. The exact same engine making the same power mated to each platform will put less power to the wheels in an AWD setup and make more power to the ground in a FWD setup. The mazdaspeed makes 263hp and 280 ft/lbs at the engine and puts that through FWD. The WRX makes 265hp and 244 ft/lbs at the engine and puts that through AWD. The Mazdaspeeds3 will put more power down to the pavement, albeit not as well as the WRX.

You should also look into the 1/4mile trap speeds, but that is more info than I have time to get into right now. Several places I have looked have the Mazdaspeed3 trapping at 99-100mph, with the WRX trapping 98-100mph. Only one place that I saw had a number other than 98 for the WRX, but I included it anyway. Every place I saw had the Mazdaspeed with 99 or higher, with the Mazdaspeed3 being at least 1mph faster at the end of the quarter mile.

If you care about bragging about 0-60 times that magazines get, then the WRX is definately your car. If you care more about driving, then you should test drive the Mazdaspeed3. Again, I know of what I speak, having owned 3 different WRX's in the past and having test driven the new WRX several times back to back with both the GTI and Mazdaspeed3.

waffleman

Ready to race!
"Most buyers are not waiting at a stoplight or at a dragstrip tree, ready to launch the car into oblivion."

I do this as often I get the chance, after a good look around to make sure there aren't any cops nearby.

It's just great fun.

:burnrubber:

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
"Most buyers are not waiting at a stoplight or at a dragstrip tree, ready to launch the car into oblivion."

I do this as often I get the chance, after a good look around to make sure there aren't any cops nearby.

It's just great fun.

:burnrubber:

And great abuse to your car.

I've been looking at WRX for years, and most recently GTI and MS3. I liked the previous MS3 but the new one is just awful inside and out, I dont care what kind of power its putting down. It looks like something out of a cheap midnight anime nightmare, what were you thinking Mazda? I'm guessing they were targeting 16-22 year olds with that design.

I was in love with the WRX for a long time, but I guess I've just grown up and care more about refinement and amenities. Sure who doesn't love power, a boxer engine, and AWD, but the looks are just awkward and interior is bland/cheap. IMO the GTI offers everything with maybe the exception of power, which can easily be remedied with an APR tune or the like. It's right up there with MS3 and WRX in terms of power to weight after just a stage 1 tune. True the MS3 and WRX offer more utility with the longer body and 5 doors, but I can't see myself buying either car anymore when you've got the option of a GTI which is better in 8/10 ways.

adroit rider

Passed Driver's Ed
I would have gone with the Mazda if the Grand Touring Sport with Technology Package and Speed3 could be combined. The interior of the Speed3 is a real issue and Mazda is dumb for not allowing customers to buy up the interior.

We still debated between the GTI and Grand Touring Mazda for several test drives. Ultimately, the quietness of the GTI won us over.

Also, I just noticed that the JSW SEL is not offered for 2010! Does that mean no 2.0T Jetta Wagon? I am shocked as this was the car I wanted when my wife's CRV craps out.

2010_GTI

Hey, guest what...? Last night, my friend buy a new 2010 WRX STi basic at the Montreal auto-show for the price of a full load 2010 GTI... Is it a bargain or what ? :w00t:

vitaminC

Passed Driver's Ed
I test drove a Mazdaspeed 3 before. I stalled the car when I started to take off because without adding any gas, just lifting the clutch padel would make you think the car will fly.

but the road experience is not so good. the Mazdaspeed 3 was too fast. if you are on a highway with no traffic, it is very easy to get you a ticket, but if you are on a local road with relatively slow traffic, the car would make you feel angry and frustrated. I think it is not safe to have the kind of feeling when you are on the road

Also the Mazdaspeed 3 is very hard to drive comfortablely. when I drove the car, every time when I shift, the car jerked a lot. I bet the salesman sitted in the backseat wanted to kill me :). the jerk feeling killed the fun brought by the engine.

the only good thing about the Mazdaspeed 3 is its price...but the car feels plastic. I would not buy another Mazda any more