GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering Second Car...

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
I had thoughts of doing a similar thing with my GTi, mostly to save it from the harsh New England winters more so than miles. But like someone else on here stated its a car that's meant to be driven. I don't think the fact it has 20K less miles on it is really going to make a huge difference when I sell it, seeing as ill be keeping it at least 2 yrs after I pay it off. So for me it will prob be the difference between 160-180K miles.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
^will I get a virus if I click on those links?
I had thoughts of doing a similar thing with my GTi, mostly to save it from the harsh New England winters more so than miles. But like someone else on here stated its a car that's meant to be driven. I don't think the fact it has 20K less miles on it is really going to make a huge difference when I sell it, seeing as ill be keeping it at least 2 yrs after I pay it off. So for me it will prob be the difference between 160-180K miles.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, a multitude of reasons including the 5 rock chips in my paint, 4 rock chips in my windshield, and absolutely filthy road grime that seems to accumulate on my R by the 1/4 mile in the winter prompted me to think twice about this...

In my case, after three years it would be more like 120k vs 50k miles which is not insignificant.

Designer.:R

Although our cars are meant to be "daily drivers" I would still get one cause all you're doing is preserving your "R". I've read a lot of your posts and you seem to be a true enthusiast so why not have a second car for the daily grind cause after all our cars are a limited enthusiast car.
Anyways good luck with your decision and continue with the informative posts!! BTW I have a 98 Honda CRV lol as my second car but I still continue to drive my R as it is so hard to leave her in the garage but it's still nice to give her a break once in awhile.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
every day, I think I want a second car to mess with. but every time, including the first 3 seasons of my youtube channel, i just never end up keeping them. i have huge ideas and not much reality. i have always wanted a 79-81 280zx, a 240-280Z, a 914, or even a MK1 GTI like my neighbor has. All the project cars i look at under $3000 are always in way too poor condition.

then i think about coming out every day thinking hmm which car will i drive? my $3000 piece of shit or my new GTI. the beater would never get driven. Although, I am growing to appreciate older original cars the more videos/shows i watch over the last couple years. Original paint, patina, rust, worn out steering wheels. I am beginning to see the beauty in that.

why did i post all this? dunno..

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't overlook the safety aspect of this situation. I know you have your own personal story about old car safety, but I have another with an unfortunate outcome. I have two acquaintances that passed away recently from a car accident that they possibly might have survived if they had been driving in the passenger's e82 rather than the driver's e36 they were in. Plus I have many friends in mk 1s, 2s and 3s who have lots of maintenance problems that I wouldn't even want to begin to deal with.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't overlook the safety aspect of this situation. I know you have your own personal story about old car safety, but I have another with an unfortunate outcome. I have two acquaintances that passed away recently from a car accident that they possibly might have survived if they had been driving in the passenger's e82 rather than the driver's e36 they were in. Plus I have many friends in mk 1s, 2s and 3s who have lots of maintenance problems that I wouldn't even want to begin to deal with.
^point taken:thumbsup:
every day, I think I want a second car to mess with. but every time, including the first 3 seasons of my youtube channel, i just never end up keeping them. i have huge ideas and not much reality. i have always wanted a 79-81 280zx, a 240-280Z, a 914, or even a MK1 GTI like my neighbor has. All the project cars i look at under $3000 are always in way too poor condition.

then i think about coming out every day thinking hmm which car will i drive? my $3000 piece of shit or my new GTI. the beater would never get driven. Although, I am growing to appreciate older original cars the more videos/shows i watch over the last couple years. Original paint, patina, rust, worn out steering wheels. I am beginning to see the beauty in that.

why did i post all this? dunno..

^non-point taken :p

ides1056

Ready to race!
I have never, ever, had a car that I am inclined to just "go for a drive" in. Till now. Went out last night when everyone was watching New England lose, and put on the high beams and warmed up the tires, listening to Dave Brubeck.
Who knew when we crawled out of the muck millennia ago, that we'd develop urges like this?
No, the TDI does not do this for me. Was just dependable, efficient transportation. Nowhere on the Volkswagen customer survey was there a question about the car itself. I give the R a 10.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I have never, ever, had a car that I am inclined to just "go for a drive" in. Till now. Went out last night when everyone was watching New England lose, and put on the high beams and warmed up the tires, listening to Dave Brubeck.
Who knew when we crawled out of the muck millennia ago, that we'd develop urges like this?
No, the TDI does not do this for me. Was just dependable, efficient transportation. Nowhere on the Volkswagen customer survey was there a question about the car itself. I give the R a 10.

This got a laugh out of me ha ha! I'd say that I've driven about 2-3k "just to drive" lol

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Alrighty, I am still considering a commute mule and found two I want to look at. However, I kinda see them as just as much of a hobby or fun little dub for me to play with so saving money is not as much of a concern if I could sell them in two to three years without much of a loss... I guess maintenance could totally eff that up though. Thoughts?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...r-GTI-K04-Bagged-More...Possibly-up-for-Trade

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5954217-2003-gti-vr6-24v

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
One is hacked up (bagged one)
The other one looks a bit rough for the money... keep lookin.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
I got a 2012 EX Civic with your name on it. 60,000 miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty. 15grr

Whatta bargain! :D

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
I had a 97 Nissan 240sx that was a great car. Manual, rwd. nice interior. Those things were 28 grand new. Not sure you could find one though.

Old Prelude??