GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Convince my gf to tune her R

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Does your girlfriend even want to get her car tuned, or do you just want her to do it?

If she's happy with the performance of the stock R, just let it go. If she'd like a little more power, then a tune will really open things up. I only have a tune (C2ner) and an intake and I'm pretty happy with where the car is right now. I only have 9k miles, so I cannot speak for the longevity of the clutch.

This. If its her car let her do what SHE wants.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Better MPG....Its the practical thing to do. Pandas and Koalas are dying because of Global Warming. Does your gf hate Pandas and Koalas?

Cevin1

Ready to race!
took my car to the dealer and they thought the ECU "fried" ( i was stage 1 at the time) and her clutch WILL WEAR faster then it would w/o a tune. her concerns are valid.

you have to pay to play, and if she doesnt have the know how to work on the car or the money to pay someone to do work on the car, its better to leave it stock.

also, could you imagine the blame you would get if say, the cam follower wears down and causes catastrophic engine failure? im sure she would find anything that goes wrong with the car from that point on your fault.

GTIpilot1

Ready to race!

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Such awesome responses :thumbup:

Called my nearest dealer a few months back.. They said it wasn't offered for the Golf R...
Maybe I should call someone else.

Call around. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't offer the trial.

The APR tune for the R uses up most of the storage in the ECU, so some features are not available. These include (but are not limited to): Trial Mode, Fault Code Erase and Anti-Theft.

Sean @ APR posted about this quite a few times on Vortex as the subject has come up.

That said, I have over 12k miles on my 2013 R as Stage 2+ and my clutch shows no sign of slipping. I regularly run the 91 and 93 programs and have only used the 100 octane mode BEFORE the last update. They warn that with the latest file the 100 octane map will make the OEM clutch give out, eventually.

In my 2011 GTI at Stage 2 my clutch was slipping after 4k miles.

If she wants the car to be noticeably faster, I cannot say enough about the 1+/2+ tunes. I never ran it w/o the pump, so I can't speak for the non-plus tunes.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Buy a Golf R for yourself and tune it. Then you don't have to tune your GF's car.

If she wants it stock let it be, or tell her she will get better MPG's...bitches love MPG's.

If you do get her to tune it wait for something to fail, (whether tune related or not) she'll say its your fault, tell her she's right and fix it for her. It seems that you're the one that really wants to tune the R so then you should take responsibility of any issues that come along with it.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
This video should do the trick, women need to relate to the idea of other women tuners..this will make it look like getting a tune is you settling for less. It shows you can still be a hot chick and be into cars too which hopefully subliminally she'll pick up on. Goodluck..

DarkCloak

Banned
Need some help dispelling some myths to the above-mentioned (who has trolled this forum for a year or so and still hasn't made a username).

She has trouble believing me when I tell her that her clutch will be fine, the ECU won't fry, and that the car won't snap in half upon getting a tune.

Reasons why she doesn't believe me:
1.) My ECU fried
2.) My clutch failed
3.) She is female

So this is where an internet full of already-tuned R owners (that's you) comes to the rescue.

Pls halp.

This is my advice. In Idiot-Proof steps

1. Identify birthdate of girlfriend
2. Borrow car approximately 1 week before hand.
3. Go to shop and have reflashed
4. Place into stock mode drive home
5. On birthday at appropriate time. Place car into 91/93 mode
6. Purchase a necklace or other item as a backup gift in case of backfire.
7. Inform her that you flashed her car for her birthday. She will appreciate your thoughtful desire to ensure she has adequate horsepower.

8. Since it is car related gift I recommend adding cute little Puma driving shoes for her that way she has no excuse about the clutch matter as she has perfect shoes for clutch work.

JhnR

Banned
Imagine her listening...then her ECU fries...are you prepared to be ditched?