GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cost of 2nd Service?

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all - just gave my 2011 GTI for its second service, completing two years of driving, about 19,000kms (12,000 miles).

Over here in the UAE, the dealer only offered the first service free, and for the second one they've quoted approx. $400. Anyone else have any experience and/or ideas for what a second service should cost?

Thanks in advance!

sprytdi

Ready to race!
20k service should include but not be limited to
Engine Oil change(10min)
engine oil filter change(10min)
cabin air filter(15 min max)
i would probably change the air filter or clean it if you have a cleanable filter(5min/30min)
And for auto boys/girls i would change the spin on filter located under the air box(30min cuz of air box r/r)
Rotate tires and check pressure, check that all lights work
check brake rotors and lining
......think thats about it,
wiper fluid...wipers
oh and if you are running halogen headlamps I'd at least get some new best of the best halogens or a set of hid's.

The whole fiasco should take an hour and a half from onto jack stands to back onto the ground, materials should cost about 100 USD with air oil dsg and cabin filters, oil and new drain plug
I start by getting the lugs loose, then up on stands, tires off and lining inspect, rotate and drain oil while rotate tires, remove filter replace filter, dont forget o ring, only 18 ft lbs to re tighten. Replace new drain plug and crush washer, replace oil with appropriate grade and ammount for application, remove air box, if cleanable filter clean now, otherwise discard old one at this time, remove and replace dsg dilter, replace air box and new filter, 22 ft lbs on dsg cap. Put car back on ground, retighten lug nuts and replace cabin filter under/next to glove box passenger footwell.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Price really depends on what is the going rate in your country, here i would say:

Tire rotation 50 dollars
Cabin filter 20 dollars
Oil and filter 50 dollars

About 120 dollars if VW didn't pay for it, which they do in the US. I have two dealers in the area and they call me time for your service, i say is this a VW paid for service, yes bring it in... They want to get me in the showroom to trade my car in. Anyway, I have 7200 miles on a 2010 and VW has rotated, changed oil and filters and last weeks service, the 20 thousand or 2 year they also replace the cabin filter. They have given me 4 oil changes in two years and 7200 miles. I can't complain about the service.

Even in your area I think 400 dollars is a major rip off. If you have changed oil before on your car, do it again, buy the cabin filter and rotate your tires yourself, I would.

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for your responses!

"Sprytdi" wish I was as mechanically capable as you, but given the excellent details your provided, may just consider it myself the next time.

The problem here is that the suckers will void your warrantly if you don't get it serviced at the dealer! Grr! And....its only a three year warranty!

Nothing like the US for getting treated well as a customer - I know that there are still situations where the dealers will try to stiff you, but its all relative.

McQueen77

Banned
Price really depends on what is the going rate in your country, here i would say:

Tire rotation 50 dollars
Cabin filter 20 dollars
Oil and filter 50 dollars

nowhere, not even DIY, can you get an oil change for GTI for $50. $50 doesnt even cover supplies. Cheapest I've seen is $64.95 + tax @ dealer w/coupon, $85 at an local indie Audi/VW shop, and about $55 DIY..

V & VI

Passed Driver's Ed
OP is not in the US

Free in the US - under what guize 36 months or 50k miles??

Jeez - so not only is your entry level 3-DR base US model $5380 less if an 'on par' exchange rate were considered (and no doubt the savings improve with increased specification) - but your servicing is covered as well?!?!?!!?

Cricky, I was born and raised in 'Robin Hood' land in the UK - but even with all that heritage, it wasn't until I moved to Canada that I was affected by daylight robbery.............

SVS

Passed Driver's Ed

Jeez - so not only is your entry level 3-DR base US model $5380 less if an 'on par' exchange rate were considered (and no doubt the savings improve with increased specification) - but your servicing is covered as well?!?!?!!?

Cricky, I was born and raised in 'Robin Hood' land in the UK - but even with all that heritage, it wasn't until I moved to Canada that I was affected by daylight robbery.............

Hah!

I was in the US before moving to the UAE, so its really frustrating to have to deal with the lousy value we get here compared to back in the US.

Back in April I had an a/c odour issue with the GTi, should have been covered under warranty (as has been posted by other US-based GTI owners on this group). The service manager gave me some BS about hot weather and other nonsense, paid for the service and wrote a stinker to the VW Middle East office. Ended up getting an apology from the service manager and a free a/c service, but still not worth the aggravation and effort.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
nowhere, not even DIY, can you get an oil change for GTI for $50. $50 doesnt even cover supplies. Cheapest I've seen is $64.95 + tax @ dealer w/coupon, $85 at an local indie Audi/VW shop, and about $55 DIY..

Those estimates were just that, dealer's do their own thing, i am sitting here with the last coupon they sent me, Oil change for 5 quarts synthetic oil and filter, 39.95 and then a bunch of other stuff that would only interest me when i was out of warranty.

Also says Free oil change for pre 2004 VW's, non synthetic oil. So the charges vary depending upon where you are at and how desperate the dealers are to get you into their showroom.

I do remember back in 2004 an oil change was 59.95 and oil and tire rotation was 99.95. Even back then i always had a coupon and never paid more than 50 dollars for oil and tire rotation. The prices vary depending upon current situation, my estimates were just that and based on what i have seen over the years.

The point i was trying to make was that 400 dollars in the US, for the 20K service would be considered Highway Robbery.

Oh one final point, my 20k service, free under warranty and the service manager gave me a form to send in for a 20 dollar gift card.

When i get the surveys to fill out i always add comments praising the Service Manger, and the technician by name, basically because i bring a pristine car into service and they complete the service and the car always looks as good as when i brought it in to them, in fact the technician made a comment about the appearance after two years and he said it looked so good that i wiped out the inside of your wheels. And you know what he did.

Another final point try to foster a good relationship with the service manager, technician etc., may pay in the long run.

Last edited:

fredf

Go Kart Champion

Give it a break, Winston. This has been gone over a number of times. Sometimes life isn't fair. And sometimes it's misinformation.

Yes, we do pay more, however our GTIs come with a couple of things that aren't standard in the U.S. like climate control.

We pay for oil changes the first 3 years but our warranty is a year longer at 4 years.

Yes, we pay more in taxes. We also get more back. There may also be an element of lower volume sales in Canada (lesser economies of scale) and importer rip off. It's not quite robbery though.

V & VI

Passed Driver's Ed
There may also be an element of lower volume sales in Canada (lesser economies of scale) and importer rip off. It's not quite robbery though.

Not just 'an element', I am well aware that economies of scale 'is' the main contributing reason in this instance. Canada is only around 1/10th population of the US. But its not just the odd thing, its loads of aspects - US finance and leasing for example is often 0% and offered over a decent term & not the 2.9/3.9/4.9 or (on the R model) 5.9% here.

I'd take A/C over C/C to save upwards of $5k and have some 'free money' borrowing on a desirable model.

However, as you said previously, on various forums across this land - this is a continual ongoing gripe and in this case it has not been taken in the light hearted manner that I meant it! So, for now, I'll just be thankful for our strong economy, stable house pricing, plentiful employment opportunities (in certain industries) and the wonderful woman that I met here..........oh and the fact that I have a Golf Gti at all!

:thumbup:

McQueen77

Banned
Those estimates were just that, dealer's do their own thing, i am sitting here with the last coupon they sent me, Oil change for 5 quarts synthetic oil and filter, 39.95 and then a bunch of other stuff that would only interest me when i was out of warranty.

Well considering $39.95 doesn't even cover supplies let alone labor, they are making less than nothing on oil changes. Sure is nice of them.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Well considering $39.95Reply With Quote * * * * doesn't even cover supplies let alone labor, they are making less than nothing on oil changes. Sure is nice of them.

I doubt that dealers are paying retail cost for oil and filters.