GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS Turbo BOV, GFB DV+, OEM Rev D Comparison/Review

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Depends I guess where your DV is mounted. Mine being right by the throttle body only really spits a tiny bit of condensation, really not much of anything coming out. I bet if right by the turbo if not relocated it would be a lot of crap.

isn't it just dumping air after the turbo but before the throttle body? Out of curiousity why is there other shit in it. i guess I wouldnt want it spraying on the manifold and burning or something.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
It should be just pressurized air, but you get condensation as well and other PCV blowby stuff that gets in your intercooler piping etc. This is where a catch can would catch some of this "crap." It really is mostly moisture that has condensed from being pressurized, and then being released back to atmospheric pressure. Some people have more stuff floating around in their charge pipes than others. But yes the order goes:

Intake>Compressor>Turbo Outlet Pipe>Intercooler> Throttle Pipe> DV> Throttle Body/ Intake Manifold on my R.

Not sure the layout when it is not relocated like mine.

isn't it just dumping air after the turbo but before the throttle body? Out of curiousity why is there other shit in it. i guess I wouldnt want it spraying on the manifold and burning or something.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
wtf, they haven't responded and it's been a week. I'll call next week.

wish they made a recirculation kit... problem is then it would be half as loud, and where's the fun in that? ;) :D

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
That's real weird. They responded quickly to me within hours. I originally hit them up on their contact us form on the website.
Maybe some weird Canadian vacation? Haha

wtf, they haven't responded and it's been a week. I'll call next week.

wish they made a recirculation kit... problem is then it would be half as loud, and where's the fun in that? ;) :D

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Nearing 1000 miles with the CTS BOV and not a single issue or CEL. The car still pulls way harder than it ever did with the Rev D or DV+.

kwmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
I have about 350 miles on this and so far no issues, sounds awesome and I would have to agree that the car pulls just as hard than with the DV+ setup I had on before.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I'm always sceptical of atmospheric BOVs on our cars. All of the DV's going on our cars are made to recirculate for a reason - because it helps with efficiency. So logic would dictate that if you remove that efficiency factor the car should be performing worse?

Forge has a DV spacer that provides the same noise effect, why aren't people using that then? I'm not dissing the product, in fact - if it can be proven to be reliable and not negatively impact the car, I'd probably end up getting one :)

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
The sound the Forge spacer makes it pretty ugly. The CTS BOV is solenoid controlled with an N75, and has vacuum lines hooked to it. My understanding is that it is using both electronic control as well as manifold pressure/vacuum to know when to release/ close. It is very quick to release boost, but closes impressively fast IMO. I was scared to run it too based on all the crap i hear around.

And while simple logic would say that by venting air that would normally go into the cylinder would throw off the A/F ratio towards rich, I have not had any issues whatsoever. The engine isn't adding any extra fuel, it is just adding the same fuel and you aren't giving it as much air as it expected.

All I know is i am very happy with the setup. It sounds great, car pulls harder than ever and throttle response and drive ability is great. Runs way smoother than with stock Rev D or DV+.

I'm always sceptical of atmospheric BOVs on our cars. All of the DV's going on our cars are made to recirculate for a reason - because it helps with efficiency. So logic would dictate that if you remove that efficiency factor the car should be performing worse?

Forge has a DV spacer that provides the same noise effect, why aren't people using that then? I'm not dissing the product, in fact - if it can be proven to be reliable and not negatively impact the car, I'd probably end up getting one :)

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
could you post some more pics of the install please? the installation guide's pictures are terrible! I assume this would work on a k04 MK6 GTI? luckily i've done the DV relocate mod.

kwmkv

Passed Driver's Ed

Installed on the Uni Dv Relocate

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Awesome bud, thanks a lot for the pic. This seems pretty cool :) I spoke to my tuner about this who is our local CTS partner and he didn't start laughing when I told him I'm interested in this. So it seems like a legit purchase. As long as it doesn't throw codes like the Forge Spacer did, I'll definitely be looking into this.

I know it's a bit ricer (we don't drive Subarus after all) - but I love the sound of an atmospheric BOV. Now I need to research if this would work properly on a DSG.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I agree, I think the real deal-maker/breaker here would be to post some boost logs. If that shows it's all good, then we have a winner on our hands.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
This comes down to two paths, sound preference or performance differences. I'm for the latter, no one has monitored fuel trims, timing, boost, throttle, MAF, etc for the DV+ vs. this BOV back to back. Someone needs to provide a true picture of what the ECU and engine are doing when we add these aftermarket DV options. OP, do you have VagCom? I can send you some pre-defined profiles to run back to back.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
I don't have a cable but can borrow. I also sold the DV+

From a purely butt dyno standpoint the car is noticeably quicker and better performing than with either of the other two options. It definitely holds boost better than the other 2, and it must be operating much faster. Again, this could be my specific car/setup but I love it. It felt anemic with the stock rev D, and just plan less powerful and odd response with the DV+

This comes down to two paths, sound preference or performance differences. I'm for the latter, no one has monitored fuel trims, timing, boost, throttle, MAF, etc for the DV+ vs. this BOV back to back. Someone needs to provide a true picture of what the ECU and engine are doing when we add these aftermarket DV options. OP, do you have VagCom? I can send you some pre-defined profiles to run back to back.