GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom underfloor sub install, speaker replacement

quality_sound

hmm.......
P.S. - there's a lot more room in the rear doors (if you have a 4 door) because the window doesn't go down that far.

I do have a 4-door but there's no point in changing the rears. Even if you prefer rear fill the rear speakers don't actually provide ANY help tonally so it's best to run the stocks until they die and channel that money into the front speakers. :thumbsup:

BostonMKVI

Excellent work! Very clean. I like that you went with the Pioneer TS-SW2501S2. I am so happy since I switched it into my Uber Stealth. I put the grille on it, and it is tall, and it does add a slight slope to my floor but I like to think its protecting the sub.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Awesome work, TRBODSL. This is really inspiring me to do something similar in my car.

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
Very nice. I didn't have the skill to build my own so I just stuck with uberstealth

SeanAP

Could you explain a little bit more about the SOT-976 connector. I love the idea of keeping the factory wiring stock. I am doing a very similar instal with one of Nicks uberstealth boxes, and my original plan was to tap the signal in for my subwoofer from the rear speaker harness close to the hatch, similar to the way Veeedubme did in his build. Now im wondering if this may be a better option. Did you just splice into this aftermarket connector near the HU?

Also, how does everything sound with out an amp on your 4 new component speakers, as this is what I was planning on doing. Right now my issue is the loudness of the stock non-dynaudio RNS 350, I just cannot turn the stupid system up with out it completely distorting everything (even with bass turned to -4)

TRBODSL

Could you explain a little bit more about the SOT-976 connector. I love the idea of keeping the factory wiring stock. I am doing a very similar instal with one of Nicks uberstealth boxes, and my original plan was to tap the signal in for my subwoofer from the rear speaker harness close to the hatch, similar to the way Veeedubme did in his build. Now im wondering if this may be a better option. Did you just splice into this aftermarket connector near the HU?

Also, how does everything sound with out an amp on your 4 new component speakers, as this is what I was planning on doing. Right now my issue is the loudness of the stock non-dynaudio RNS 350, I just cannot turn the stupid system up with out it completely distorting everything (even with bass turned to -4)

I connected my speaker wiring to the new wiring harness behind the head unit, and ran it back to the hatch (all 4 speaker signals). I disconnected the factory speaker harness, and connected the new harness with the new wiring. I also left all of the harnesses loose in the doors, and ran all new wiring. So technically, if I put stock the speakers back in, I could just re-connect everything the way it was.

With the component speakers, I can turn the head unit to full volume with no distortion. I gets almost as loud as I would ever want it to be. I have bass, treble, mid all set to 0, and it sounds great. I would still like to add the second amp just to see what difference it makes, but I haven't yet.