GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dafuture's Slow(ish) Build Thread

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
I would definitely recommend driving someone else's car first. If I had been able to, I definitely would have as well. Unfortunately the only other person I know with these specific mounts is Hyde, and his car probably wouldn't have been a great comparison to mine haha.

Speaking of that DP, I managed to track one down off eBay. Turns out a performance shop in NC had ordered one for a customer and opened the box, only to find out that the customer didn't want it. As a result, they sold me a brand new AWE DP at a pretty big discount. Should be here Friday! :thumbup:

I also forgot to mention earlier that DanGSR drove the car for a bit after the install today. He mentioned that my clutch felt unnaturally light and that my Dieselgeek shifter was pretty out of alignment. I'm probably going to head back there soon for a clutch bleed and brake fluid swap. Hopefully the bleed firms everything up a bit as far as the clutch is concerned. I am very disappointed about the shifter though. This is my first M/T car so I didn't really have anything to compare it to, but the shifter itself was aligned by Elite Motorsports. For what I paid them, this should have been installed properly. I won't be going back to them again.

Good work spotting that DP :clap:

It's always better to work with someone like DanGSR than a shop. Big shops don't pay as much attention. I am lucky to have Joseph@OPD local here. He helps me with all my installs. I get to learn a lot every time!

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Good work spotting that DP :clap:

It's always better to work with someone like DanGSR than a shop. Big shops don't pay as much attention. I am lucky to have Joseph@OPD local here. He helps me with all my installs. I get to learn a lot every time!

You're absolutely right about working with someone independent. When I had the work done (sometime in July) I didn't even know DanGSR existed. I had tried the install myself, but something was definitely still off. I guess what they did was just adjust the DG to the point that it was drivable but didn't actually care what position it was in or how it looked. Considering Dan told me he can do everything on our cars (except for LSDs, he said those are a pain lol), I don't think I'm going to have too many shop visits in my future.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
You're absolutely right about working with someone independent. When I had the work done (sometime in July) I didn't even know DanGSR existed. I had tried the install myself, but something was definitely still off. I guess what they did was just adjust the DG to the point that it was drivable but didn't actually care what position it was in or how it looked. Considering Dan told me he can do everything on our cars (except for LSDs, he said those are a pain lol), I don't think I'm going to have too many shop visits in my future.

Haha. Exactly what I said to myself when I started working with Joseph :)

George11

Ready to race!
I scan read your intro until today, I second the love of a two door, I hate the location of the b pillar on a 4 door. Totally blocks the view. Your car is coming along well. Look forward to seeing your impressions of the clutch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Haha, it certainly looks like it! Looking forward to meet you and your GTI soon :thumbsup:

Absolutely man! I'd love that haha

I scan read your intro until today, I second the love of a two door, I hate the location of the b pillar on a 4 door. Totally blocks the view. Your car is coming along well. Look forward to seeing your impressions of the clutch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks man, I appreciate it. The B pillar on the 4 doors are pretty bad blind spots if you're on the taller side.

As for the clutch, I thought I had settled on the SRE, but then I went back and read through the homebuilt RSR thread and now I'm undecided again. But when I finally get a clutch I will be sure to post reviews haha!

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Just a small update for today. The good news is that the downpipe showed up, and everything looks great. The bad news is that when I opened the box for the new grill, it had the chrome strip on the bottom of the slats that I had been trying to avoid. The grill is now up for sale and I'm off in search of a regular Golf grill. Pretty disappointed about that.

If anyone has any random bits of advice for instlling a downpipe they'd be much appreciated. It's supposed to be about 50 degrees and dry over the weekend, so I may try my hand at installing it.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Just a quick update since it's been a couple days. Everything feels great so far. The front sway definitely makes a big difference in the handling, with the whole car almost completely flat through turns. Beyond that, I absolutely love the VWR subframe mounts. Props to Hyde for that recommendation. Since they've started to break in, Shifting is near perfect, and the whole car feels like it's tighter and has more grip from a dig. The vibrations that I'd been feeling have died down quite a bit. There's still some vibration at very low RPMs (below 1300 or so), but all that's needed to smooth things out is a bit more revs on takeoff. It's up there in my top mods to date.

I also had a chance to run codes through VAGcom the other day. I had tow different ones pop up; one for the fuel tank filler door malfunctioning and the other for an issue with the master locking system. I haven't noticed anything with the filler door, but the master locking has been a real pain lately. Sometimes the car just refuses to lock no matter how many times I press the lock button. Back to VW it goes :thumbdown:

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Just a quick update since it's been a couple days. Everything feels great so far. The front sway definitely makes a big difference in the handling, with the whole car almost completely flat through turns. Beyond that, I absolutely love the VWR subframe mounts. Props to Hyde for that recommendation. Since they've started to break in, Shifting is near perfect, and the whole car feels like it's tighter and has more grip from a dig. The vibrations that I'd been feeling have died down quite a bit. There's still some vibration at very low RPMs (below 1300 or so), but all that's needed to smooth things out is a bit more revs on takeoff. It's up there in my top mods to date.

I also had a chance to run codes through VAGcom the other day. I had tow different ones pop up; one for the fuel tank filler door malfunctioning and the other for an issue with the master locking system. I haven't noticed anything with the filler door, but the master locking has been a real pain lately. Sometimes the car just refuses to lock no matter how many times I press the lock button. Back to VW it goes :thumbdown:

I am really digging those VWR subframes looking at your review. How tough were they to install? They might find a place in my car very soon, I am all for smooth and tight shifting :thumbup:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I am really digging those VWR subframes looking at your review. How tough were they to install? They might find a place in my car very soon, I am all for smooth and tight shifting :thumbup:

Honestly I didn't do the install myself. That's the only "issue" with them. To install both pucks, the subframe has to be removed and both need to be pressed into the mounting spaces. The other thing I would look into is my mechanic mentioned some sort of lip that makes them difficult to remove. I didn't know this before install, nor does it really affect me, but it's definitely something to research.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Honestly I didn't do the install myself. That's the only "issue" with them. To install both pucks, the subframe has to be removed and both need to be pressed into the mounting spaces. The other thing I would look into is my mechanic mentioned some sort of lip that makes them difficult to remove. I didn't know this before install, nor does it really affect me, but it's definitely something to research.

Ah, thanks for the insight! Even I won't do the install all by myself, but good points to note if I decide to go with this someday.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Ah, thanks for the insight! Even I won't do the install all by myself, but good points to note if I decide to go with this someday.

Absolutely man, no problem. If possible I would definitely spend some time in someone else's car with subframe mounts to get a feel for how the car feels with them in. It's a good bit different from stock.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
TT-RS pressure plate ordered. Got a nice discount for a February sale, so I decided to pull the trigger. Rest of the parts to come!