GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash cams in your GTI

MrTocs

Ready to race!
Anyone mounted a dash cam on their GTI? If you did can you post pics of how it looks and what your using experience is with it. I see a lot of cheap ass options and am looking for something unobtrusive but quality.

Thanks!

Rascal

Ready to race!
I bought a Black Box G1w-c from Amazon. Yes it is Chinese made but most of the affordable ones are Chinese or Korean. I've had it mounted for a couple months and it works fine. I forget it is even there. I bought a separate mount for it so it hard mounts to be rear view mirror.

Ironically someone hit me at an intersection lasyt month :yikes: but I had my wife's GTI, not mine. If I had been in my car I would have the whole thing recorded :cool:

I can post of pic shortly....

Bii

I bought a Black Box G1w-c from Amazon. Yes it is Chinese made but most of the affordable ones are Chinese or Korean. I've had it mounted for a couple months and it works fine. I forget it is even there. I bought a separate mount for it so it hard mounts to be rear view mirror.

Ironically someone hit me at an intersection lasyt month :yikes: but I had my wife's GTI, not mine. If I had been in my car I would have the whole thing recorded :cool:

I can post of pic shortly....

Let's see a pic!

Rascal

Ready to race!
A couple pics.

Rascal

Ready to race!
In the second pic you can barely see the camera, which is good I think. I know others have painted the silver ring black for a more stealthy appearance.

And in the interior pic the camera looks a bit more obtrusive than it actually is. It doesn't really get in my way at all when driving. Like I mentioned I often forget it is there, other than the audible chime when I start up the car.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
I'd be interested in a camera I could tuck behind the rearview mirror so you cannot see it from inside the car. Anyone have something like this?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

goose1

Ready to race!
Cool. Did you hard-wire this thing?

Yup, it runs off of USB so I wired in a female cigarette plug with an add-a-fuse into the fuse box. Ditched the bulky adapter it came with and have a dual USB charger in the fusebox if I want to add anything else. Ran the wire under the a pillar and under the headliner right up to the mirror. I got a right angle USB cable to make it a tiny bit neater.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion

ForzaGTI

Ready to race!
I went with a different approach...
I use my phone to record, windshield mounted and it gets me what I need. The nice thing about the mount I got, is I can tilt the phone in any angle I want so I can capture not only what is happening in front of me, but also on the left and right and top (sky view, for those rare UFO sightings :-D).

A typical trip of 15 miles or 20 minutes is about 1.3 Gigs on 1080p, could be less if you record in 720p

For those with Android, the phone can be programmed to record as soon as the car starts moving, and stopped or paused when you take the key out of the ignition. (Tasker App).

goose1

Ready to race!
I went with a different approach...
I use my phone to record, windshield mounted and it gets me what I need. The nice thing about the mount I got, is I can tilt the phone in any angle I want so I can capture not only what is happening in front of me, but also on the left and right and top (sky view, for those rare UFO sightings :-D).

A typical trip of 15 miles or 20 minutes is about 1.3 Gigs on 1080p, could be less if you record in 720p

For those with Android, the phone can be programmed to record as soon as the car starts moving, and stopped or paused when you take the key out of the ignition. (Tasker App).

I was going to go that route but the dashcam has a wide enough view that I don't need to move it around and my phone tends to overheat in the summer. Besides its always nice to have something that turns on automatically without needing any user input.